Inductance between AC, DC source

What will happen when inductance is placed in dc and ac supply?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    satty lavanya
    what will happen when inductance is placed in dc and ac supply?
    What do you think will happen? 😀
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    i think that in dc supply it will act like a coil.but in ac supply ......i think inductor induces the magnetic field.... i dnt know crctly. plz help me
  • lal
    lal
    We know some basic facts. When electric current passes through a conductor, magnetic flux lines are formed around it. When the magnet flux linking with a conductor changes, an emf is induced across it.

In a DC supply, current doesn't vary with time as in the AC. So when a DC current flows through the coil, there would be magnetic flux lines formed around it. Since the DC is steady, these flux lines will also be steady. The coil will act as a solenoid now. If an iron core is placed inside the coil, it will act as a temporary magnet, electromagnet.

A 50 Hz AC current changes its direction 100 times a second. So the magnetic flux it creates also changes direction along with the current. When this alternating flux links with the coil itself, it induces an opposite emf which opposes the original applied emf due to self induction. It thus opposes the change in current. The inductor will make the current lag the voltage inan ac circuit.

Thus, an inductor doesn't affect the current flow in a dc circuit other than acting itself as a solenoid. But in an AC circuit, it will make the current lag behind the voltage.
  • pinank
    pinank
    In DC supply we will have a transient response...where i(t)=Vdc/R(1-e^(-R/L)*t)...
    While in AC supply the inductor will act as a solenoid where there will be back emf e=-Ldi/dt...
    so integrating we get i(t)=Vmcos(wt)/Lw..assuming V=Vmsin(wt)...
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    ca
    pinank
    In DC supply we will have a transient response...where i(t)=Vdc/R(1-e^(-R/L)*t)...
    While in AC supply the inductor will act as a solenoid where there will be back emf e=-Ldi/dt...
    so integrating we get i(t)=Vmcos(wt)/Lw..assuming V=Vmsin(wt)...
    can u explain the transient response.. in detail.........
  • pinank
    pinank
    well in transient response the current will rise exponentially and then attain the steady state value of i=V/R. but the transient responce will be given by i(t)=Vdc/R(1-e^(-R/L)*t)...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Some time is taken for an electric circuit to reach stable equilibrium. This time taken is called as transient time
    The state of the circuit in this time is called as transient state. Here the response is not steady and it varies with time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

'- x - = +' '+ x + = +' '- x + = -' '+ x - = -' but how do we get this, the proof..?😉😐
Do you think it's a good idea to let all our members edit others posts? I found out that quora does that and this has helped them go totally spam...
Seven steps. Saptapadi. That is what the new husband takes his bride through declaring how they are going to lead a life together. Here are seven steps a computer takes...
A robot scientist Papa Mau , one of four launched by a Silicon Valley startup Liquid Robotics broke the Guinness world record for the longest surface travel by an autonomous...
It is too close to the truth for laughing away. State of disjointed (Indian) Union: