'- x - = +'
'+ x + = +'
'- x + = -'
'+ x - = -'
but how do we get this, the proof..?๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't know if I can provide a 'mathematical proof'. But if you realise that 'x' (multiplication) is basically addition and '-' is basically 'taking out' then everything will quickly make sense.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Anyone have any idea to this
    ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Square of any number, whether positive or negative is positive.
    A negative number -n can be written as -1 x n. Consider -m x -n. This can be rewritten as ((-1) x m) x ((-1) x n) = ((-1) x (-1)) x (m x n) = (-1)^2 x mn = 1 x mn = mn.
    As for the other two cases of multiplying two unequal signs, as #-Link-Snipped-# says it is just addition.
    This article will help:
    Multiplication of signed numbers
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    bioramani
    Square of any number, whether positive or negative is positive.

(-1)^2 x mn = (-1)(-1)xmn =1 x mn = mn.
    it is related to my question but not related to it sir...!!!
    (-1)^2 = [(-1)(-1)] =+1
    but how do we get '- - =+'
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Subtraction, addition, division and multiplication are just names. They get meaning only when attached to numbers. -m x -m is a valid statement, which is the reason for the earlier statement.
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    do you have any guess..?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do you think it's a good idea to let all our members edit others posts? I found out that quora does that and this has helped them go totally spam...
Seven steps. Saptapadi. That is what the new husband takes his bride through declaring how they are going to lead a life together. Here are seven steps a computer takes...
A robot scientist Papa Mau , one of four launched by a Silicon Valley startup Liquid Robotics broke the Guinness world record for the longest surface travel by an autonomous...
It is too close to the truth for laughing away. State of disjointed (Indian) Union:
Coursera has annonced a whole bunch of new courses from Astronomy to Vision. https://www.coursera.org/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=december