Quora Style: Everyone gets to edit each other's posts

Do you think it's a good idea to let all our members edit others posts? I found out that quora does that and this has helped them go totally spam free.

Or should the editing powers be with the mods and admins only?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Or maybe we should form a small group of CEans with powers to edit other's posts? Their responsibility will be to make sure that the questions are properly asked and properly answered. They'll edit the SMS language, offer appropriate titles to the posts etc.?

Mods do this, but many posts get skipped. Maybe we should give the editing powers to 10-15 of us here?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We should probably replace the inactive moderators with fresh ones. That will ensure that all posts are tended to.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I liked the second idea. Everyone editing every post is not a good idea, but yeah if you can make a group of 10-15 active CEans responsible for editing and removing spams, that might help to make us spam free too.....😀
  • avii
    avii
    In Quora when you edit something, the mods/admins can see the old version too. They can compare it.

I doubt such feature exists in xenforo.

PS - I know this because I know a mod at Quora
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : We don't want a quora clone and they operate at a larger scale. I think we can definitely trust the most active CEans to edit posts. I'm hoping we'll be able to upgrade the quality of posts by allowing the most active CEans to edit others' content.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Active CEans can be used here cos we know one thing "Too many cooks spoil the broth"
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    or first give powers to few CEans randomly selected based on their activeness and monitor it.. and then provide few every month as a reward for them... also make sure the admins have the utmost power to stop the editing of a thread (say a thread should not be edited more than 5 times by all after which the admin gets the power)...
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Well I would like to give a crazy idea,😉 How about creating a new group eg Dy. Moderators (something like that), who can edit posts and titles but can't have all moderator power (or otherwise👎 ), and this group can be prepared from willing and experienced members, rather than giving this power to every newbie😁 .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Will it be possible to have a variant of the present reporting system or an extension? Any (shortlisted for the purpose if need be) member can put in an edited version for one of the existing (harried) mod to see and take action. The mod can just decide to accept the suggested version in toto or do some tweaking of his/her own before replacing the original. A footnote can say: Edited by CE
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, that's a nice suggestion. I think we can do something about it. ☕
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    No no. ! i don't really think its a good idea.

people may keep editing each other's posts, and it may also result that some CEans might hate being corrected so often, and hence they may leave CE.

i think so this power is better-off in the hands of the mods and admins only
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What has finally been decided here Biggie? Most of these threads remain a mystery to us who have never seen a trend change here in CE.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Almost mod power to everyone will be a complete chaos. Second one is better to implement if you ever plan to implement it.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    I agree with Zaveri. It can lead to confusion(some times) that which version was much better - old one or edited one.
    However if the editions made are minor ones ,like to remove SMS language and other spelling mistakes then its fine.

Also here i suggest that think of starting a separate section which implements Wikipedia like layout.
    We can have very good tutorials prepared by every one and also edited for better tutorial quality.👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, I think we'll expand the mod team and give only the select few ability to edit posts.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    grsalvi
    Also here i suggest that think of starting a separate section which implements Wikipedia like layout.
    We can have very good tutorials prepared by every one and also edited for better tutorial quality.👍
    +1

Also,how about mentioning reason for edition to be made compulsory ?
    I mean, if someone edit the post, he/she must specify the reason 'compulsory'
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Alright, I think we'll expand the mod team and give only the select few ability to edit posts.
    What I had suggested was that any committed person can edit under an expanded 'Report' option so that a mod can then study that and decide to use that edit or not. The 'Mods' still do the actual change.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we'll recruit mods to the team so that we can do this activity more efficiently. I miss #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-# . Hope to see them active on CE again.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    What I had suggested was that any committed person can edit under an expanded 'Report' option so that a mod can then study that and decide to use that edit or not. The 'Mods' still do the actual change.
    Yes, report button is actively used by several CEans here. I think this is the right way to go ahead. We need to be very careful about selection of mods though.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what if we end up editing a single post all the time , instead of building up thread?
    we can put an alternate answer though.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    what if we end up editing a single post all the time , instead of building up thread?
    we can put an alternate answer though.
    Didn't get you. We're talking about editing posts that aren't written correctly. Have grammar mistakes and so on.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    The_Big_K
    Didn't get you. We're talking about editing posts that aren't written correctly. Have grammar mistakes and so on.
    oh! i might elaborate ( just a paranoid's thought).
    I write some 'blah blah blah' . since editing is not restricted only to spell checks, some X cean might pop up and might feel what i wrote is not right and might end up changing the post rather then counter arguing it or posting a new reply.
    This might after many iterations, result in a almost perfect 1 answer, rather than a discussion
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, the solution is simple - only mods will have the rights to edit stuff.
  • graphite
    graphite
    Only moderators should have the right to edit the posts and as suggested by #-Link-Snipped-# Sir we can mention the note as "Edited by CE".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Seven steps. Saptapadi. That is what the new husband takes his bride through declaring how they are going to lead a life together. Here are seven steps a computer takes...
A robot scientist Papa Mau , one of four launched by a Silicon Valley startup Liquid Robotics broke the Guinness world record for the longest surface travel by an autonomous...
It is too close to the truth for laughing away. State of disjointed (Indian) Union:
Coursera has annonced a whole bunch of new courses from Astronomy to Vision. https://www.coursera.org/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=december
Quote: Dr. Cafazzo is a biomedical engineer who has spent his entire career in a hospital setting. By observing healthcare delivery from the inside, he works on ways to keep...