Indian Government is developing new operating system

#-Link-Snipped-#

After getting lot of government sites hacked by Chinese hackers, the Government of India has come up with a new plan - Develop its own Operating System and also, develop anti-virus software.

This software will be installed in mission critical offices. With this move, India aims to join the club of superpower countries that have their own software for government offices.

While this is a good move, I wonder whether India has the technical capabilities of developing operating system and own products of repute.

What is your opinion about this? Can Indian government do this? If yes, how? If no, why?

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    While this is a good move, I wonder whether India has the technical capabilities of developing operating system and own products of repute.
    actually biggie, making one govt specific OS is not that difficult. They are not going to develop something from total scratch(writing new kernels and all that). Instead (I think), they will most probably develop a new one making Linux kernel as its base. It is much faster that way and most organisations/ institutions do it that way. This helps in making an OS that is suitable to ones needs while not having to develop something from scratch.

If an Indian teenager could make a full fledged OS (based on Linux), then why cant the govt do so !

about the antivirus, I am a bit sceptical and I believe that using one from the big anti virus vendors will be better. These vendors will easily make appropriate changes to the application based on govt's requirements. It will save a lot of time and development costs as well as the future maintenance troubles(antiviruses have to be continually updated).

the reputation of Indian IT firms, regarding making own software, is quite poor as we are more into ITES rather than IT . We just develop applications demanded by bigger corporations who outsource their work to us. We are currently not developing something BIG on our own. Though I must say that the UID project undertaken by Govt of India is a big one and sound quite challenging. Can you imagine a database containing all sorts of details of about 1.5 billion people! and an application to manage all of them. Will be a big challenge for us I believe πŸ˜€
  • mohan_185
    mohan_185
    y not boss . definitely India wil develop its own operating system . India is one of the three countries which has developed its own super computer .
    so we can surely wait for Indian operating system . but i fear of what kind of name they wil keep for that .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, certainly possible. A tailor made OS (based on Linux) might certainly help streamline work, provided sufficient training is given. Though it would be wise to create policies to standardize it across varying departments and government based organizations.. lest there would be incompatibility problems.

But, its interesting to see this line in the article:
    It’s prudent for the government to develop an open source-based operating system on which it has total control.
    Open source AND total control? I doubt the government is obliged to follow GNU GPL practices, for the sake of the security of its software πŸ˜›
  • mohan_185
    mohan_185
    Ithin the name is BOSS (barath os ) and its a linux based .
  • nilstartsmart
    nilstartsmart
    Such nice to know finally indian engineers are ready to operate on their own O.S.
    But before this few young engineers had made a linux based OS called E-Swecha what happened to that????
    πŸ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's no brainer. Anyone with good knowledge of unix can simply download source code from the Internet, throw in few lines of code and release their own custom Operating System. Remember the 'BOSS' hype?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai friends i require some of the companies which are providing training for students. some of the electronic and electrical companies placed in chennai and puducherry. procedure to approach such...
Those waiting for Firefox 4, the upcoming latest and greatest browser from Mozilla, might not have to wait long. Speaking at Air Mozilla today, Mike Beltzner announced that Firefox 3.7...
My friend showed me this πŸ˜€ https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18886-impossible-motion-trick-wins-illusion-contest.html
Peppermint OS, a lightweight distro based on Ubuntu, launched on Monday. "The decision was to concentrate on speed over everything else. Linux aficionados gained a new option Monday, thanks to...
Continue to my earlier posts on virtulaization, For the ones who are interested in Virtualaization in IT: Server virtualization has crossed the proverbial chasm. Not long ago, when deploying new...