If Facebook Buys Opera, Will You Continue Using It?

There are rumors that the social networking giant, Facebook is planning to acquire Opera - the browser that claims to have about 200 million active users across the world. Facebook's plans are clear - they want to know your browsing history because that will enable them serve relevant advertisements to you, combined with all the profile data that they have for you.

The question I want to ask CEans is whether they'll use Opera browser (let's called "Facebook Browser") if FB acquires it?

Replies

• Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    No, I don't think so. As Firefox and Chrome are best two options. If they made some thing very unique in there browser, then may be I think about it. Just for Facebook I am not going to change my web browser.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd agree with #-Link-Snipped-# . I've tried using Opera for some time but I keep coming back to the Chrome & Firefox. For the last 4+ months, I've been using Chrome as my default browser. I switch to Firefox because of the Firebug plugin they have which is totally awesome to check various elements of web pages and try out changes on the fly.

It's going to be difficult for Facebook to make turn Opera into something that solves their purpose and also attract new users to it. Imagine browser showing you a login screen before you can start browsing stuff.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What this Egyptian student has achieved is a new way of propulsion for spacecrafts, making use of the Quantum Physics that could be the next game-changer. Amidst the hundreds of...
Though rumors about Facebook building a phone have been turned down, we have a lot of reasons to believe that Facebook is indeed working on building it's own smartphone. Why...
Hi ther I'm Akash, an Instrumentation Engineer from India. Presently working with Chemanol(Petrochemical company) in Saudi Arabia. I think That's enough for Intro...
Hello.. Which is a better language for developing computer applications?? is it C++ or Python ??
I Love tinkering and tech. I love pinball machines and working on them. And everything engineering and science. Currently a 4th year wireman apprentice and concurrently attending the local university...