IES 2012 Eligibility Criteria And Syllabus

The eligibility criteria for IES Exam is as follows:
  • Age limits: 21-30 years on 1st August of the year of Examination. (Upper age limit relax able for SCs/Sts, OBCs and certain other categories as specified in Para 3(ii) of Notice).

• Educational Qualifications: A degree in Engineering from a recognised university or equivalent. M.Sc degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects also acceptable for certain Services/posts only.
    Candidates appearing at their engineering degree or equivalent examination are also eligible to compete. Candidates qualifying on the result of the written part of the Examina tion will be required to submit the proof of passing the requisite examination along with their detailed application form to be filled up at that stage.

• Fee: Rs. 100/- (Rupees one hundred only)
    (No fee for SCs/STs/Physically Handicapped only).

Structure of IES

The IES paper is divided into two sections. The candidates have to qualify in the written examination followed by a Personality test. The written examination is again divided into three parts. The first part is the general ability test. The duration of this paper is 120 minutes. It carries 200 marks. The second part will be a paper on Relevant Trade. It consists of two papers. The duration of each paper is 60 minutes. It carries 200 marks each. The third one is the conventional paper having two parts. It again carries 200 marks. The duration for each paper is 180 minutes. The total marks allotted for the above section is 1000.

Those who qualify in the written test will be called for a personal interview. This interview carries 200 marks.

Syllabus for IES
The general paper is conducted to test the candidate’s knowledge in English. The paper will mainly hold questions related to current affairs. It may also hold some questions related to Indian history. The portions for civil engineering paper are: Solid Mechanics, Design of Steel Structure, Construction Practical, Planning and Management, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering etc.
The portions for Mechanical engineering are: Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Machinery and Stream Generators, Heat Transfer and Refrigerator and Air- Conditioning, Elements of Computation etc. The Electrical area will consist of Electrical circuits and Materials, Control systems, Power systems, Communication systems, Microprocessor etc. The final sections will be based on: Materials and components, Signals and systems, Electromagnetic theory, Computer Engineering etc.

If anyone has details about the registration & examination dates, please post here.

Replies

• sanjay deora
    sanjay deora
    can you tell me the specific date/month when will all papers and interview will be held??
  • ~on*kiyu
    ~on*kiyu
    i am a third year student can i appear for this??????😨
  • askesavan
    askesavan
    B.Tech (Information Technology) students eligible for UPSC IES exam?
  • askesavan
    askesavan
    MADAM , i am completed btech IT , i am interested to appear IES exam am eligible for this exam pls reply mam?
  • askesavan
    askesavan
    B.Tech (Information Technology) students eligible for UPSC IES exam?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have heard frequent discussions about the differences between BCA-MCA Course & Computer Engineering i.e. B.E. / B.Tech course. I think there is not much of a difference between the...
Hi everyone again, Please share your ideaas about agriculture automation here. Few things that i am thinking about are written here : There will be a mixer tank, which will...
iOS 5 Beta has been jailbroken! It looks like nothing can really stop the iPhone dev team folks: Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w iOS5beta from breaking everything that Apple engineers produce.
Arid Land, Thirsty Crops: Scientific American
TwoView | Rugged Rack Mount Dual Flip-up LCDs Keyboard Trackball