Icon Image Size : Anyone Know The Correct Size Of the Icon ?

In ubuntu repository quite old applications are available.eg : Arduino 1.0.5 is available but ubuntu repo has 1.0.3
So, I compile latest source & manually push applications to /usr/share/applications
For image on application icon, I google the png image & add it in .desktop file so that I can access it directly from dash.

However the problem is, my icon size of whichever the applications i have manually pushed into /usr/share/applications looks bigger due to large size of image.
Check image :

So, I want the precise icon size so that manually added applications doesn't gets segregated from applications installed from repository.

Anyone know precise icon size which these applications uses ? like 200x200 or 240x240 ?
Need help asap.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    will this link be of any use?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for stopping by & trying to help. But that doesn't solves my query.
    I have different problem.

Let me explain.
    When I use source code for any application, there is no short-cut available to open the application.
    Everytime i have to execute shell script from terminal which is painful.

So, I simply create a file , application-name.desktop
    with the format of :
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=[Name of the app]
    Exec=[Path & name of  executable file where executable file is located]
    Icon=[Path from where you wanna fetch the icon for app]
    Terminal=False
    StartupNotify=True

And push it in /usr/share/applications & it will be shown in Dash under application.

Now, in code you see the Icon line, it uses to fetch the icon for the application otherwise no icon will be shown in Dash.

I want to know the universal size of the icon used in Dash, so that I can resize the image & then create .desktop file, so my custom icons would look similar size to that of one downloaded from repo.

So, inshort i just wanna know which resolution icon does Unity dash shows, is it 240x240 200x200 or abc x pqr.

I think you understand my query. Sorry If I am failing to make you understand what I really need.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. umm is there any possibility of setting it to default size ? or can you open another application details to check what size it's icon is?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    .. umm is there any possibility of setting it to default size ?
    I couldn't find one. There is setting to increase or decrease icon size in launcher panel (the one which is on left-corner of desktop) but not in Dash.

durga
    can you open another application details to check what size it's icon is?
    Searched :
    /bin
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/bin
    /sbin
    where usually applications are installed. Couldn't find anything except executables, shared libs,shell scripts & perl scripts.

Thanks anyways.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Search with .png in root, you will get all png icons. 😁
    In my virtual machine default 13.04 VLC is using 16*16 to 256*256.
    I am sure in application launcher it is 128*128
    Look like application launcher is using 48*48. search for
    wine- .png
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    That was so simple.Silly me 👀

ianoop
    Look like application launcher is using 48*48. search for
    I don't think so.
    Because code-blocks uses 64x64
    Firefox uses 128x128
    Friends uses 16x16 to 256x256
    Gimp with 16x16 to 256x256

In short, We can't know which size is used for application menu in Dash.
    God! 😡
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    wineConfiguration launcher is using 48*48 only. search for that you will find it.
    Any way use max size as you can, say 256*256, It should fit in lower size basket.

Anyway,
    How Linux uses size of icons from different files of png?
    In windows there is only one .ico file which consist all sizes of png and whatever size is needed it fits automatically.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    wineConfiguration launcher is using 48*48 only. search for that you will find it.
    Any way use max size as you can, say 256*256, It should fit in lower size basket
    Testing with 48*48, 64*64, 128*128, 256*256
    I will report the result asap.
    But, I feel it should be 48*48 as under 'Settings->Appearance', launcher icon size by default is 48. (but again, that's for launcher not Dash menu)

ianoop
    Anyway,
    How Linux uses size of icons from different files of png?
    In windows there is only one .ico file which consist all sizes of png and whatever size is needed it fits automatically.
    No idea buddy
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# 48*48 it is. Thanks man for helping me out.
    Thank you to #-Link-Snipped-# too for trying to solve my problem.

No more big fat icons in Dash. Yuppie 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intel's new MXC platform is going to make the server to server connections even speedier. Not much has been said about the MXC platform that Intel will unveil at the...
It may be fun on the title but there goes some serious issues in some states where food serving method plays a major role. Buffet-Is a system where the food...
It was reported that Mitsubhishi's Outlander model will reach India in 2014 and its a beast that was introduced in los angels auto show in 2012.Do you know who would...
Hero cycles , a sister company of Hero motor corporation has started a All aluminium bicycles in Ghaziabad,UttarPradesh. The largest bicycle maker of the world had extended to a new...
Nissan Evalia or NV200 has been selected as "taxi of tomorrow" by New york taxi and Limousine commission . Do you remember this car?i will take back to 2012Newyork Auto...