ICMP packets

Is there any difference in the way firewalls treat ICMP packets for ping and traceroute commands?

a ping shows a succesfull response where as traceroute shows a timeout at one of the intermediate nodes

ex:
traceroute:
6 * * 2.020 ms
7 * * *
8 9.378 ms 9.368 ms 9.850 ms

as can be seen 7 th hop has timedout

ping to the same destination:

PING byte packets
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0% packet loss

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Between Ping and Traceroute? The firewall would probably treat all ICMP traffic the same, only that its is a Network layer protocol rather than Data.

But I guess between the likes of ICMP and TCP for example, firewall will be able to distinguish different layers of protocol.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    mm,, differentiate between different types of packets eh?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Actually, my bad! Some firewalls are able to do specific ICMP filtering. I suppose you can allow specific types of ICMP traffic to go through 😀

For ping it would be an echo request. Not sure about traceroute though.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ooo thats Ok, may be that can be tested this weekend 😁
    I will 'ping' and 'traceroute' and try to capture few packets and then may be I will be able to deduce something out of it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Haha, have fun! If you do detect some weird traffic.. it isnt me.. *quickly severs connection*

😛
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    looks like both are same:

I pinged and tracert my uni 😁
    ICMP:
    [​IMG]

PING:
    [​IMG]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thats weird.. a Tracert packet should have been identified as a type 11 ICMP. I just checked that my firewall has options to filter out type 8 (ping) and type 11 (tracert) 😛
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    just a sec, I missed out without actaulyl finishing this discussion.
    From the screenshots i have put up it looks like type is 8 -echo for both of them , I did a bit of look around in google and found that type 8 is echo ( as expected) but type 11 is -time exceeded . is that the reason why you did not recieve a resposne back?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi to all. I got a doubt while I'm executing my program in ALP. it may be silly but though you should think for a while...... Why can't we execute...
HI friends😉, Recently our professor giving introduction to Data Communications had mentioned a computer with multiple displays and keyboards will be needed in some situations. The problem here is I...
Hi friends😎, I want to write a program that controls the cursor movements.I want to do it java. For this fist i want to know how the thing goes in...
In Assembly Language Programing , if we use a stack then we have to allocate some memory for the stack.Now , my question is if we give the space from...
I'm posing this question in order to overcome my confusion and get some clarity. I wanna know what's the difference between the following words. 1.Unary operator and Binary operator 2.Relation...