CrazyEngineers
  • First of all i am happy to be with you all, i am a fourth year electrical engineer , me and my friend are planing to work in a project , and its about controlling home electricty whether by computer using a router or my phone, i know it seem a simple project for some of you , but i need some clue about it , and if there is a more interesting project, tell me about it because this is my final project 😁.

Thankyou
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorSep 1, 2011

Eng: Not sure where you're stuck. The project looks interesting enough and it all depends on how you implement it and what feature set you decide.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • eng_SaLoM

MemberSep 2, 2011

Thankyou admin for your fast reply ,, well i weill use a modem, a pic , and ofcourse i will need interface between them, ,, what i am asking is where i can find information that will help me in doing this project,, and if there is anything you can give me advice on , i will be thankful.
    Cancel
  • Rupam Das

MemberSep 4, 2011

eng_SaLoM
    Thankyou admin for your fast reply ,, well i weill use a modem, a pic , and ofcourse i will need interface between them, ,, what i am asking is where i can find information that will help me in doing this project,, and if there is anything you can give me advice on , i will be thankful.
    1) First arrange a PC and Ensure that it has parallel Port. Not Laptop. Ok. PC. New PC will have slots. You can connect a parallel port in slot. If the Slot is not there, you can connect an External one for 7$.

2) Install .Net 2010, if your operating system is Vista 32bit/64 bit or Win7. Else install .Net 2008 for Xp (Sp2 is mandatory)

3) Now parallel port has 8 data pins, 5 control pins. So in a simple way you can control 13 devices efficiently.

4) Hardware Setup.

A relay 6v,Optocoupler, 230 v, and As electrical Engineer you must be knowing how to control the bulb through a relay. Nice Now just connect one pin output from the LPT data port to relay. It can be programatically controlled through a very very very simple program in .Net. you need to download inpout32.dll for xp, and inpout64.dll for vista/win7. You can search for "Parallel Port Programming" + C#.Net + inpout32.dll. You have the program.

5) For controlling Fan, you can have a regulator with each step connected to a relay. Never try for a Heater and Refrigerator!!!!! You can even go for TV on off.

6) Taking the Command

Options: a) Through SMS, GSM
    b) through Bluetooth
    c) Through Internet
    d) Through Voice
    e) Laser Light
    f) TV remote
    g) Telephone

Clarify, what method you are interested on. I will provide the guidelines. Trust me. It is a fab project. I Value the effort more than than anything for evaluating a project. Remember building a Radio by yourself is a better project than purchasing an INR 20,000/- project with RFID, ARM micro controller and so on. This is a work that you can certainly work into.
    Cancel
  • eng_SaLoM

MemberSep 4, 2011

Thanx a lot rupam i reallly appreciate it ,, i will start working on it ,,, because its best thing when you do something and u make mistakes and you try it again and again till you manage it and succeed ,, thanx again
    Cancel
  • Rupam Das

MemberSep 4, 2011

eng_SaLoM
    Thanx a lot rupam i reallly appreciate it ,, i will start working on it ,,, because its best thing when you do something and u make mistakes and you try it again and again till you manage it and succeed ,, thanx again
    Dear eng_SaLoM, What we achieve is very small , but what we do to achieve that is what is the most interesting part. So dont fear a failure, even a filure will teach you manything. And we are there to guide. Go ahead. I will Guide you in each step. No problem.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register