I need help with memory desiging.

Hello guys,
I'm so confused with this course called Computer Organization, I have an important assignment that I cannot solve, even though it seems to be easy.
Please guys help if you can answer even one question, provide me with the solution please

Problem 1
-What is the difference between DRAM and SRAM in terms of application (how they are used)?
[FONT="]o[/FONT]SRAM:
§Used for cache memory.
§Uses internal flip flops to store information.
[FONT="]o[/FONT]DRAM:
§Used for main memory.
§Used to store binary information in the form of electric charges.

-What is the difference between SRAM and DRAM in terms of characteristics such as speed, size, and cost?
[FONT="]o[/FONT]SRAM:
§Faster than DRAM but it takes more space.
§More expensive and faster than DRAM.
§Does not need refreshing.
[FONT="]o[/FONT]DRAM:
§Much smaller but slower than SRAM.
§Cheaper than SRAM.
§Needs refreshing.
[FONT="]o[/FONT]Type Speed Density Cost
DRAM Slow High Low
SRAM Fast Low High
-What are the differences between EPROM and EEPROM and flash memory?
[FONT="]o[/FONT]
-How does SDRAM differ from DRAM?
[FONT="]o[/FONT]SDRAM is a new faster type of DRAM.

Problem 2
The figure below shows how to construct a 1 Mbytes memory module based on chips of 512 by 512 bits. The module is composed of 4 groups of 256 K-byte blocs.
[​IMG]
Let suppose that this module is a single chip of 1 M-byte where the word is 1 byte. So, the chip has 20 address lines or bits (consider that the whole address lines are used and not half of them as usual) and 8 data lines.
1-Give a high level chip diagram of how to construct an 8 M-byte memory using these chips. Make sure to show the address and the data lines and how they are used.
Give a high level chip diagram of how to construct an 8 M-Words memory, where the words are on 16 bits, with these chips. Make sure to show the address and the data lines and how they are used

I answered problem 1 but still not sure about the answer
while i couldn't answer problem 2😔

thank you very much.

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Since you have 2 memory devices of 512K each, they require 19 address lines. Use the 20th address line as a select (or enable) for the two devices - the first device is enabled when the 20th line is LOW, and the second device is enabled when the 20th line is HIGH.

-Karthik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I need help on which way way could I proceed a paper on global positioning system(GPS) so that it would become a paper on improving the present idea...
I am doing a project on power line communication. My aim is to transfer a code from one part to another, using an instrument at both sides, which can be...
what is difference between normal capacitor and coupling capacitor and can we use normal capacitor instead of coupling capacitor?
for example if my input is 2,then series shuould be, 00,01,10,11,etc., if my input is 10,then series shuould be,1,2,3,4,5,etc., is there any general mechanism in mathematics to find these numbers...
CEans, We are inviting guest authors to contribute to VoiCE. Send your articles to admin [att] crazyengineers [dawt] com . Do not forget to write a short author biography which...