I am an m.tech (structural) student and I am planning to do project on concrete.could you please guide me with some suggestions

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Hello Abhishek,

It'd be really nice if you could tell us a bit more about your project so that it's easier for our fellow engineers to offer suggestions on your project?

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Recycled aggregate concrete is the project I have in mind

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

There’s a whole lot of published research reports on this. Most of the properties have been evaluated. If you do a google scholar search you can see all current work. One has to come up with a new angle for an MTech level project.

Maybe if you can work out a recycled aggregate adding recycled plastic scrap and something other than Portland cement (polymeric mud as posted elsewhere on CE) you may get an original project.

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Can you advice me on some projects

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The eco friendly cement substitute is called 'Geopolymer'. Some research work on this is going on in India also. You can get more info here:

Geopolymer cement and Geopolymer Concrete – Geopolymer Institute

You can do some preliminary work making a concrete using this instead of cement and recycled aggregate. The suggestion for using shredded plastic waste was given to further improve conservation.

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

How about doing geopolymer concrete using recycled aggregates,is there a possibility?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Certainly. The link in my last post above shows an Australian airport area with geo polymer concrete. But with regular aggregate I think. It may be certainly worthwhile to check out your idea for a geoploymer-recycled aggregate concrete.

Do you have the infrastructure to create such concrete and evaluate it? Can you discuss with your guide on this?

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Yes, we have a structural lab in our college.Can u give me an idea about the replacement ratios for doing this

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

I shall discuss this with my guide 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

My area is chemical engineering and materials science and not civil engineering. It may be best to try different ratios and evaluate one critical property first to zero in on a ratio. you can study that in greater detail.

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Ok sir,thank u for assisting me

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

We can still discuss. Please keep posting. Such eco friendly projects are most needed now.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

An update:

#-Link-Snipped-#

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Sir, i am planning to work on super absorbent polymer concrete.kindly advise me

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What is it that you want from CEans on this?

Some info available here:

Google Scholar

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Sir I have decided to use SAP as infill in hollow steel columns and study their behaviours

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What is the purpose for infills in a hollow column? Are you trying to modify buckling properties or other mechanical properties?

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Yes sir I am planning on studying the strength characteristics of the column with sap as infill

• abhishek anil
    abhishek anil

Whether self curing concrete can be used in the column.That was what I had in mind sir

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

This may be of some help:

Specification for the Design of Steel Hollow Structural Sections

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello,i have a computer engineering background with no mehatronic experience  ,and now i am studying a mechatronic as a subject and i have a task (bellow in the attachments )...
Hi, i am a student studying in railway engineering field. I need ideas for a project that involves element of design and analysis. It has to be railway industrial relevant....