HR Interview Question : Why did you get low grade?

HR Interview Question : Why did you get low grade?

I've got

10th : 69%
12th : 60%
Btech :

1 sem : 65%, 2 sem : 60%, 3 sem : 64%, 4 sem : 69%, 5 sem : 80% (3th highest in the class), 6 sem : 70%, 7 sem : 77%, 8 sem : 82% ( 5th or 6th position in the class i guess )

Overall in Btech : 72.6%

It seems my 12th class marks & the first 2 years of my btech marks are pathetic. There was some family problem (can't share) when i was in 12th class. In my engineering, i didn't pay attention in the starting and participated in many college events (like dance, wall painting, annual function etc) due to which i didn't get good internal marks and my overall percentage became pathetic but i had scored good marks later on. Even I've got 80% twice and one of the top scorers in the class.

Is my this reason acceptable? Please share your views.

Update: Answer

When responding to the interview question, "Why did you get low grades?" it's important to provide honest and thoughtful answers that demonstrate self-awareness, responsibility, and a commitment to growth. Here are two different approaches you can take:

1. Reflective and Accountable Response:

"I acknowledge that my grades were not as high as I would have liked them to be, and I take full responsibility for my performance during that period. Upon reflection, I identified a few factors that contributed to my lower grades. Firstly, during that time, I was dealing with personal challenges that affected my focus and ability to fully dedicate myself to my studies. However, I learned from this experience and developed effective strategies to better manage my personal life and prioritize my academics. Additionally, I realized that I needed to improve my study habits and time management skills. As a result, I actively sought guidance from professors, utilized tutoring resources, and implemented a structured study schedule to enhance my academic performance. I am confident that the lessons learned from this experience have made me a more resilient and determined individual."

2. Demonstrating Learning and Growth:

"While my grades were not as high as I aimed for, I consider them as valuable learning experiences. Initially, I struggled to adjust to the transition from high school to college, particularly with the increased workload and expectations. However, I recognized the need to adapt and improve my academic approach. I proactively sought feedback from my professors and utilized their guidance to refine my study techniques. I also joined study groups and engaged in collaborative learning, which proved to be beneficial in enhancing my understanding of complex subjects. Moreover, I leveraged various academic resources, such as online courses and educational workshops, to strengthen my knowledge in specific areas. Through these efforts, I was able to steadily improve my grades over time, demonstrating my ability to learn from setbacks and take proactive measures to excel academically."

Remember, it's essential to present your responses confidently and showcase the growth and development you have achieved since the period of low grades. Emphasize the steps you have taken to address any challenges and highlight your commitment to continuous improvement.

Update:

I have added a few sample answers to the question. These would be useful-

Here are three sample answers to the interview question "Why did you get a low grade?" that focus on presenting the situation positively and highlighting personal growth and improvement:

1. Sample Answer 1: "In the past, I did face some challenges that resulted in a lower grade. However, I believe it's essential to learn from those experiences and grow as an individual. I took that setback as an opportunity to reflect on my study methods and time management skills. Since then, I've made significant improvements in how I approach my academics. I've adopted effective strategies like creating a study schedule, seeking help from professors and classmates, and practicing consistent self-assessment. As a result, I've been able to consistently improve my grades and maintain a high level of performance."

2. Sample Answer 2: "While my grades may not have been as high as I had hoped in the past, I've used those experiences as valuable learning opportunities. I realized that I needed to enhance my organization and prioritization skills to excel academically. I've since taken various steps to address this, such as implementing effective time management techniques and creating a structured study plan. Additionally, I actively sought out additional resources and engaged in study groups to enhance my understanding of the subject matter. By continuously striving for improvement, I've managed to turn my previous low grades into stepping stones for growth, and I'm confident that this mindset will contribute to my success in the future."

3. Sample Answer 3: "Although I received lower grades in certain instances, I don't consider them as failures but rather as opportunities to learn and develop resilience. Those experiences allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of my strengths and weaknesses as a student. To address any gaps in my knowledge, I proactively sought feedback from professors and utilized the resources available to me, such as tutoring services and online learning platforms. I also engaged in self-reflection and identified areas where I could enhance my study techniques and critical thinking skills. Through these efforts, I've been able to overcome academic challenges and consistently demonstrate improvement in subsequent semesters."

These sample answers emphasize a positive attitude towards personal growth and improvement, highlighting the candidate's ability to learn from past experiences and implement strategies to enhance their academic performance.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't see any problem with telling the truth. I remember one of the candidates I was interviewing responded by saying, "Sir, I wasn't very sure whether I should go for engineering. I admit that I opted for engineering because my parents forced me. Not that I wanted to do something else, but I was just clueless. It took me one complete year before I realized that engineering was fun. I screwed up in the first year but gradually started improving from second year..."

An honest answer is what an interviewer would appreciate.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Honesty is the Best Policy and It work most of the times 👍
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Honesty works. In fact, you could share your story of how you improved your scores. 👍
    Interviewers love to see how you have progressed.

I guess you must have already seen this scene from the movie 3 Idiots, but go through it once again.
    You are in a MUCH better position than him. 👍
  • vinay ageer
    vinay ageer
    Hi sir am vinay ageer i got my pg 74% inter 59.6 degree 59 n 10th 62 so will i be hired by good companies

Hi sir i got less in my acedemics my pg percentage is 74 my degree n inter r 59 so wil i be hired by companies am i eligible

Hi sir am vinay ageer i have done my pg with 74% n my degree n inter are having 59% so will companies hire me my thought is do a bpo job for one year n then go to the development side
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinay ageer
    will i be hired by good companies
    Will you be hired by good companies? No one knows. Think about it this way: Why would a good company want to hire you? Can you think of an answer? What is it that separates you from the competition?

The marks and your academic performance will only matter at the time of you entering into the industry. The 'good companies' may not hire you at once, but if you gain some experience in other companies, build your skills-set and develop yourself; no company will ever want to reject you!

Got it?
  • Pranaya.r4
    Pranaya.r4
    If you 12th score is less but Graduation score is more then go for some reason like: You were involved in college politics, College cricket team Captain or NSS etc. That brings positive image of you.

That is already proved. I am the example of that. Never tell like you were sick or family condition was not good.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone here has any more interesting answers for this question? It's one of the most asked questions in HR interviews for jobs and at MBA interviews as well. Let's pool in our ideas.
  • srinivasdhotre
    srinivasdhotre
    Sir, If interviewer ask me why your are low in engieering and in 10th and 12th ? How should i answer?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    srinivasdhotre
    Sir, If interviewer ask me why your are low in engieering and in 10th and 12th ? How should i answer?
    Well, tell them the 'real' reason you scored less. What was the 'actual' reason in your case?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

What is the best way to answer questions on your low academics?

- Posting this on behalf of #-Link-Snipped-# 

I did my 10th from ICSE board and secured a decent 85%. I moved to Delhi for my IIT-JEE coaching and joined a non-attending school. Things didn't work out as I planned and I got an extremely low score of 67% in 12th exams. 

I joined an engineering college and completed my education with a percentage of 63.9%. Well, this score looks low on paper, but the university where I studied was such that the topper secured a percentage around 75%. Now, whoever sees my profile, the first question they ask is low academics. 

Sir, What do you suggest should be my approach in answering these kind of questions? I am currently pursuing MBA and I have a work-ex of 21 months in a MNC.

• Achal Sangal
    Achal Sangal

Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for posting!

Guys,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - There's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this question. However, I'm curious to know if you were actually asked this question in any interview. In my opinion, the relevance of performance in engineering exams ceases to matter once you've gained sufficient experience.

With nearly two years of experience, I think you'd be asked more about your projects and work experience in the current company. 

However, if you're asked - you've to tell them the exact thing you wrote in your question. It's believable and legit. Go with it.

• Addy smith
    Addy smith

That is completely faulted of our education system, If there is no value for the percentage between 60% to 70% then why they giving this marks. They should be clear criteria for Pass or Fail, no scope of average marks. Because due to this system of marks there is a huge gap between skills and jobs. I don't think the student got less percentage is not a good worker in IT Company. So don't be afraid, have a Faith in yourself and go to achieve your goals.

• Achal Sangal
    Achal Sangal

Thanks @Kaustubh & #-Link-Snipped-# 
    I do agree that this is a flaw in our education system but since it's already there we could just be mute spectators. Having said this I don't think even companies can do anything about it, they have to shortlist 50 students out of a batch of 500 so marks is the criteria by which they do mass elimination (I am saying this in spite of the fact that I am a victim). 

Thanks again #-Link-Snipped-# & yes I will let you know once I get through!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear CE Please find attached Presentation on " Good Construction Practices in Reinforcement Detailing " - By Sri S.Jaswant Kumar, Chief Engineer, Roads & Buildings Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh....
Hey friends , I want to populate the dropdown menu on selecting another dropdown menu. I try javascript but I couldn't do it. What I want to do is there...
Arstechnica's Ryan Paul spent two days with Facebook release engineering team's Chuck Rossi. Rossi heads the release engineering team at Facebook and is responsible for making the updates go live...
Good Day all Engineers This my first Post in this Forums Introduction to MATLAB For student EngineerThis is a great book for every student who want to "starts" with MATLAB...
Name: Pradeep Chandra Maddirala *Engineering Trade: M.Tech CSE Location: Guntur Andhra Pradesh *Occupation: Student Work Experience: No *Hobbies & Interests: I am interested in cricket , reading threads in net...