How would you go about building this? (Door Status Detection)

Hello everyone,

I hope I came to the right place for this type of question. Please assume that I am completely ignorant with regards to circuits/electronics (although if you can go into further detail, that would be very helpful in the long run).

I am looking to build a simple miniaturized door detection system with the following properties:

- System can detect when door is open and when door is closed.
- System stores this information in its memory along with the time when the door was open and when it was closed.
- One can extract this information and easily read it on a computer.

It is critical to keep it as small as possible (roughly the size of a bottlecap). If that is not possible, at what size would it be possible? Also, it can not be connected directly to a computer. What is the best form of energy source? More than one way of accomplishing this would be encouraged.

Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Well if you want to make it as small as possible then its price raised... and about power supply... you can use main power supply of home and also precaution of Battery also.

If you want to make it Small in Size use SMD components.

Can you please tell me whats your budget for this project?
  • Differential
    Differential
    I would use battery insted of direct electrical power supply. Also one can use contact breakers for detecting door status. Unit will be fixed to a wall. Its counterpart will be attached to door. So when contact is made, door is open, when contact is broken, door is closed (provided there are only 2 states of door Open and close).
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    and to store the data use microcontroller or EEPROM for more memory..
  • TheDayr
    TheDayr
    Thanks for the quick response guys.
    I will clarify by answering your questions and adding a few more pieces of info.

Its purpose, as I am sure you all have quickly surmised is the collection of data on the state of a door (open/closed). You will need to be able to get to it for maintenance and downloading. It would have to be able to remain active for about 3 months, with an average of 3 opening and closing of the door per day. Chances are the opening and closing of the door will occur in quick succession. Battery power is essential.

The budget is open so far, but you should keep in mind there will be some consumers, so price is an issue. The cheaper the better. The smaller the better as well. And as godfather mentioned, these two are most likely counter-acting, so a balance will be achieved.

A datalogger is out of the question, as I am unaware of any that are smaller/cheap enough.

Microcontroller + EEPROM + RTC (Real time clock) is a good way to go.
    Can such a system fit in such a small size? How can I set it up to connect it to a pc and read its data, preferably in a user-friendly way.

Alternative ways of designing this system is most welcome.
    Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to hearing more.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    well to get data from microcontroller or EEPROM is very easy you can communicate via Serial Port i.e RX TX of Controller... so to get data is not a big deal..

we have to work on the Size first of all..
  • TheDayr
    TheDayr
    Well godfather, what in your mind is the greatest consumer of space in this system?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TheDayr
    Well godfather, what in your mind is the greatest consumer of space in this system?
    Well sir we cant say right now cause we have to first of all choose the component will be used in this project then after which manufacturer provides such component and whats its price... and one more thing sir to solder this Component is not easy.. its is convenient only if you are dealing with large number of Quantity....

have you make its Roughly Circuit Diagram or Block Diagram or anything else? or wanna going to make one soon?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Forgetting your Windows administrator login password. With no way to get into the system, you can’t even perform basic maintenance, let alone a thorough tune-up. Formatting is always an option,...
hi i need some ideas on electronics fpr my open house exhibition...
Hi guys , Actually there was a discussion with my friend regarding the Real happy thing, we discussed for hours but never got any answer for the question? What is...
Assignment help , homework help , Project help , online homework, chemistry help, physics help, Math help, statistics help, accounts, economics, biology help. I have recently started using this great...
is 3d television a nice option for taking a seminar????..........plz do help me on dis?????😕........plz do suggest me some final year project topics on signal processing....plz