how to use Telnet

hey guys
can any one help me learning about telnet...
i want to learn it...
can anyone help me how to use it...with some working commands....??????

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Most common ports to which one can connect to through telnet are:
    Port 21 - File Transfer Protocol
    Port 22 - SSH Remote Login Protocol
    Port 23 - Telnet Server
    Port 25 - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
    Port 53 - Domain Name Server (DNS)
    Port 69 - Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP)
    Port 70 - Gopher
    Port 80 - Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
    Port 110 - Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3)
    Telnet client and server functionality comes built-in in most operating systems.
    On windows machines, telnet client can simply be started by issuing the telnet command in windows command shell. The following example would help you connect to a remote machine on the HTTP Port 80 and issue a GET command which would fetch a file as your web browser does it behind scenes:

Command Prompt> Telnet
    Command Prompt> open (somedomain.com or ip address) 80
    you can connect to any machine that has certain ports open. Once connected to a machine, you need to issue unix based commands to interact with the remote service.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. or
    cmd prompt
    >telnet 23

23 being the port.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    thanks to all
    but when i use this command
    Command Prompt> Telnet
    Command Prompt> open ip 21
    it says connection failed...
    is there any neccessity to have ftp server on remote computer
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    If you want to telnet to system 'A' from system 'B', then Telnet service on both the system should be up and running. to start the Telnet service:

Windows + R "Services.msc"
    Start Telnet service

-CB
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    In Windows Vista & windows7 telnet is disabled by default because of its security issues (passes messages in plain text, easy to sniff passwords & credentials, so its obsolete now).
    In order to enable go to control panel
    > Programs
    > Pragrams & Features
    > click on 'Turn Windows Feature on or off' on the left panel
    > new window appears, tick check boxes telnet server or telnet client or both as per your need.
    > click ok
    > open cmd & start telneting to another telnet enabled computers (for command
    queries type telnet /? in cmd)

In linux, you have to edit file /etc/xinetd.conf & a telnet configuration file in /etc/xinetd.d/ directory. For further information google it.

As per your problem telnet should be enabled on port 21 on the remote host which is not common nowadays unless you configure it on your own.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends please post all your computer related articles here. No writing skill required. Just post articles as your views. Don't copy anyone's article,please keep all post original. Thank You....
Hey CEans! If you are still a student, you can have free access to 24 of Autodesk's great collection of software. Special thanks to mad_scientist for the heads up! Visit:...
I would like to know the difference between the brayton , joules & belcoleman cycles ..
😀Hello, The project m doing is based on microcotroller (programised-psuedo code,assembly language) but I want to use C-codes, but how to implement it and Write it. If any one has...
Hello, If anyone is facing problems starting a new thread on CE or posting a response in any existing thread, please inform me as soon as possible through email at...