How to study power electronics?

how to study power electronics ?? i am preparing for gate.. i just cant understand how to start and proceed?? [please some one guide me..

thank you

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    dipankar0309
    how to study power electronics ?? i am preparing for gate.. i just cant understand how to start and proceed?? [please some one guide me..

thank you
    Power electronics generally deal with the control and conversion of electric power.It is the application of solid state electronics.
    The basic for power electronics is electronic devices- power diodes, transistors, thyristors, triacs, GTOs, MOSFETs and IGBTs. It is important to know the characteristcs and operation of these devices. If you know this, operations of rectifier, bridge converter, chopper, inverter etc will be quite easy. You can also expect some numerical questions.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Ok in order to study power electronics you have to understand how the devices used will perform at different set of voltages.

Take an example of a normal diode, ideally it is short circuited in forward bias and open circuit in reverse bias.

Next, when you check in practical applications you will have a 0.3V for germanium diode and 0.7 for selenium as the breakdown voltage.

So study the characteristics and understand the behavior in different conditions for AC , DC , Saw tooth and Step Voltage.

If you can understand these basics you will easily understand all the other applications and theory of power electronics.

Post particular questions here, so that I can answer them for you.
  • dipankar0309
    dipankar0309
    thanx sandeep. which book to follow for self studying.?

(have posted two questions from electrical machines. please help)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    There are couple of books ,

First go through Salivahana Electronic Devices and circuits book, and study some basics about diode and transistor dont spend more than 2 days here.

Next go for , PS Bimbhra all the chapters, except drives. This books is awesome for thyristor working and inverters.

Next go for Kanchandani for drives. If you do all these you will master power electronics.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I dont know in which year of Engineering you are in , if you havent done with the power electronics lab then understand all the experiments and working of each and every circuit. To understand this you will have to understand the working principles (practical) of all the devices involved. Believe me you will learn a lot.

After this, you can go through all the formula involved in calculations.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HTML5 has long been Google’s favorite web designing tool and to help increase its acceptance among the netizens, Google has released a beta version of its HTML5 development tool called...
Telerik a company has introduced a new testing tool into the market recently, the name of the tool is Test Studio. Features: We can do Functional Testing, with all latest...
This is a scenario based on audio editing As I was editing and merging two audio files I found dithering an most effective tool that helps in removing transition noises...
hello i am a student of ece third year. i want to start preparation of gate and ies but can't be able to deside how? can any body tell me...
can any body explain the diffrence b/w current and voltage and also there different practicle significance?