How to reduce frictional losses?

Can anyone say how to reduce friction losses

Replies

• rikingautam
    rikingautam
    Re: Mechanical

by making least contact bw d surfaces........dis can b,hwevr,done by many methods
  • amalagrace
    amalagrace

Friction loss can be further minimized if interior edges of field-cut end-lengths, and lengths with ring couplings, are assembled in the direction of the airflow. Excessive velocities in dust collection applications should also be avoided to reduce a "sand blasting" effect.The attached charts estimate air friction losses of various Flexible hoses and ducts.To know more about go Carbons, Mechanical Suppliers @ ProcessRegister.com
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz

before explaining the related question let us see that what friction is?
    if we observe the matter around us,of any type, then this observation reveals us that there are too many ups and downs on the surfaces of matter. Even if we observe a very smooth looking material with a high resolution device it again reveals that here also ups and downs exists but of small size
    so when a surface contacts with another surface they become interlocked with each other due to these ups and downs..I think that you can imagine this situation..
    so this interlocking results an effect which resist one surface to slide over another surface....that is called friction
    from the above defination you may conclude that friction can be reduced by reducing the area of contact.but it is not a good practice .although by reducing area of contact ,no of interlockings reduced .but keep in mind that now there is a more weight on small area so although no. of interlocking is small but they become stronger then before
    the only thing on which friction depends is the normal force acting on the body which is to be slided over another body
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    by using lubricants of suitable viscosity and by using ball bearings frictional loss can be minimised....
  • gohm
    gohm
    Shahed, are you looking to reduce friction in a particular application? That information can assist members in providing specific solutions to your query.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Friction can be reduced by making surface smooth.
    Here is a paper from Technion University, I have been following lately.
    If you are looking to reduce friction in automotive components, this should help.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • NANOVEA
    NANOVEA
    Wear and friction should be evaluated along with surface roughness of the part/material in question. This will allow to
    understand the best choice of material and or surface finish:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    simply by using electrical breaking if it is in break app
    or in others give the exact gap between two objects
  • myyouthbrigade
    myyouthbrigade
    simply reduce friction by taking the body to out of your environment i.e to any place in the universe except earth...there will be no friction
    i think you should try IIT 😀
  • PrinceTan
    PrinceTan
    The use of magnetic force may also reduce friction of 2 sliding surface. An interesting idea which sprouted is to insert 2 magnets (or electromagnets) into the engine cylinder head to reduce friction. (a radical thought of mine, a crazy engineer indeed I am!) But I believe the question here is would the magnets react the same under the high temperatures of the combustion chamber, am I not right? Please go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm still a student pursuing in Mechatronics Engineering and has lots more to learn.
  • SID_6000BHP
    SID_6000BHP
    PrinceTan
    The use of magnetic force may also reduce friction of 2 sliding surface. An interesting idea which sprouted is to insert 2 magnets (or electromagnets) into the engine cylinder head to reduce friction. (a radical thought of mine, a crazy engineer indeed I am!) But I believe the question here is would the magnets react the same under the high temperatures of the combustion chamber, am I not right? Please go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm still a student pursuing in Mechatronics Engineering and has lots more to learn.
    Hi! The temperature inside an engine at the end of compression stroke goes up2 700 to 800 Deg C. I dont think there is any magnet /paramagnetic matrl which can function at such high temps. It will become brittle and may break do to vibrations. Thus, you cannot insert them inside the chamber. Also, aluminium cannot be used as electromagnet. Pleas correct if I am wrong.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Some good information there
  • adren022
    adren022
    In which component or between which two surfaces are you trying to minimize the friction loss?
  • Devil26
    Devil26
    Specify the application...if it is to bring down the wear factor, replace the type of contact between the surfaces...i.e introduce rolling contact in place of sliding contacts..although as mentioned by someone before, the force acting locally on points of contact will increase, the wear factor will come down tremendously. larger life of components will prevail..
  • Devil26
    Devil26
    Specify the application...if it is to bring down the wear factor, replace the type of contact between the surfaces...i.e introduce rolling contact in place of sliding contacts..although as mentioned by someone before, the force acting locally on points of contact will increase, the wear factor will come down tremendously. larger life of components will prevail..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I stumbled upon following blog post on popular Indian tech website: Of KBC & The “Islandish” Problem With Indian IT Industry . Amitabh Bachchan, the host of KBC (Indian version...
Apple recently launched the next version of iPhone - iPhone 4S. While lot of geeks were expecting iPhone 5 with quite an awesome hardware; Apple decided to play on the...
Aakash tablet by Government of India is priced at Rs. 3000 and seems to be in the high demand. While the tablet offers Android, hardware specs aren't impressive at all....
i need idea for mini project Major Courses in B.SC Program: Basic Electronics. Microprocessor Based System. Communication Engineering. Electromagnetic wave. Analogue Electronics. Digital Electronics. Measurement and Data Aquisit. Sequential Circuit...
Hello everyone.. i'm Amitesh Harmukh... persuing B.E in MECHATRONICS ENGG. i want to organise a technical event in my college.. kindly suggest me some good ideas for the events.