How to calculate power in capacitor?

How to calculate the power consumed by a capacitor which is connected to a line to improve powerfactor?

Replies

• vasanthmbs
    vasanthmbs
    p=i^2(Xc)..
    Xc=1/2pifc
  • ericsson
    ericsson
    The formula u have given is used to calculate the reactive power only. what we have to do to calculate the real power.....?
  • icehari
    icehari
    basically capacitors don't consume power, they store the power and release the power when a predetermined level is reached, But i have no idea to calculate the power consumed by capacitor..
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    No capacitors have pure capacitance, there is always a resistive component. If that is what you require, you can refer the datasheets to get the resistance value and use that to calculate the power dissipated.

- Karthik
  • avm
    avm
    Pure capacitors and inductors do not consume power. The power assosiated with these are only reactive power unless there is some internal resistance. If there is some internal resistance, it will consume power.
  • mimo11
    mimo11
    Capacitors stores energy only and discharge it after voltage drop under a limit

you can calculate energy stored in capacitor using this law C* V^2

where C : capacitance of the system
    V : voltage applied
  • gargoor
    gargoor
    ideally , all the energy stored in capacitor during the positive portion of the power cycle is returned to the source during the negative portion, no net energy is lost due to conversion to heat in capacitor , so the true power is zero , actually because of the leakage and foil resistance in a practical cpacitor , a small percentage of the total power is dissipated in the form of true power ..
    u can just calculate the reactive power wich is the rate at wich capacitor stores and returns energy . so its not zero , bcz at any instant in tme the capacitor is actually taking energy from the source or returning energy to it
    P = V*I
    P=V^2/ Xc
    R=I^2 * Xc

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, we all talk about how we engineers can change the world, but beyond the theory and design stages things get very sticky. It seems that there is a VERY...
Heya Guys!!! Well lets do the first ever meet of CEans in Surat. List of Expected Ceans: godfather RajdeepCE fireball priyank180 Milan25---Need Confirmation from his side so People ready for...
hiiii hello i am sallan MK. i am in sixth sem of mechanical engineering. and i wants to make a MAJOR PROJECT. Will you my friends please suggest any project...
i am a b.tech. final year student of computer science discipline. I wish to do my major project on a networking topic. I have knowledge of c/c++ and am willing...
let's begin my first word: habor synonym: antonym: