How much should a startup company spend on office ambience?

Would love to have your opinions on how important is the office ambience for those who're working for a startup company? I'm not talking about the funded companies who've the luxury of working out of good looking offices. Many of the startups I've seen have began their life either in a small flat with no 'posh' stuff around. All the basic infrastructure in place and a few crazy souls working together is all makes up a startup in the initial days.

But the real question arises when your company is about to make your first few hires. If you were to work for a startup company, how much would you rate the company ambience over a scale of 1-5 with one being 'very important' to 5 being 'doesn't matter'.

The question is - 'how much' should a company spend?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Any takers for this discussion?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ambience can come in when the firm strong enough to handle a larger work force and have enough resources

Initially Just a table and a chair for the employees will do them a great good

Spending too much in every small bit and loosing focus on the main objective is not really wise in the initial stages
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    First of all i work in a startup company, and i rate my company 2. as a fresher i wont look much into the posh stuff, but the main objective what to do or what you learn?
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    When there is enough traction and the company has gained enough revenue to break even on its investment, it would be the right time to spend on office space. If the work can be done from home then only a small office space with cubicles or desks for each employee would be good. Also included should be restrooms and a pantry room. If it's in terms of hiring then if you're sure that you could get very good talent, the ambience would matter to them. We have spent more on the working area and restrooms.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    My take 4 (ambiance least matters), when a start-up going to hire new chicken heads they attract with what they have proved in market, founder's talent and vision to lead team and expertise.

Off topic but here I found interesting Quora discussion about
    What have you learned as an early employee at a startup?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Ambience doesnt matter at all. Startup essentially doesnt mean that we hire fresh graduates and we work with their physical presence.

the days are long gone, we can work online like people work for CE. Ambience only matters after having sufficient funds and if we have many people coming into office to provide them some environment (which basically should be clean). Nothing else matters!

I think if we are working on great stuff the free coffee doesnt matter much.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yeah, it's time to code, here give your tricky questions on Programming, and we will all try to do that. This would improve your thinking ability and refine your logic....
Here is your chance to express how addicted you are.I welcome all CEans to express how sticky you are in CE. First my turn: *I usually open fb , twitter...
So I bought a Western Digital (WD) My Passport 1TB external HDD from Flipkart and it arrived just a few moments ago. I quickly unboxed the drive and connected it...
what is the difference between project and product???.. can anybody tell main difference..
All of us at some point of time had watched cartoon network and animax especially at your childhood days but which cartoon do you miss very much? mine: *tom and...