How many of you love engineering mathematics?

During my engineering days, engineering mathematics was one of the 'most difficult' subjects a student had to crack. The subject was 'boring' and 'tough' at the same time making it too difficult in exams.

But when I look back at engineering studies a decade after; it looks like engineering mathematics was one of the most interesting subjects we've ever had. Just that we were never told how important it is and how cool it is - even though majority of us will never use it directly in their lives.

Vote on the poll and tell everyone in the comments your thoughts about engineering mathematics.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    πŸ˜– You don't even want to talk about the topic? 😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    One of the subjects I enjoyed the most. I use it daily. I just cannot see how engineers can dislike maths and continue as engineers. The profession is the ultimate in quantification.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    One of the subjects I enjoyed the most. I use it daily. I just cannot see how engineers can dislike maths and continue as engineers. The profession is the ultimate in quantification.
    In my case, the professor never talked about the practical applications of the Fourier, Laplace transforms. All the focus was on 'steps to get the answer' - on all the topics in Engineering mathematics. That made the topic totally boring.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    In my college I gave 4 tries for Maths-3 Subject. πŸ‘€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It has to do with passion. I refer to the teachers. Back in the fifties and sixties, stalwarts taught mathematics. They became teachers because they wanted to teach mathematics. Their enthusiasm used to rub off on us. Most problems have many ways of solving them. Like in literature there are elegant solutions and pedestrian solutions. The excitement lay in finding an elegant solution, usually intuitive, which gave great internal satisfaction.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I still don't know where exactly the Laplace, Fourier, z-transform is used...😳
    Maths has always been a downside of mine. I am so much bad, that I cant even solve the quantitative aptitude problems (Trains, ages & those bullshits). Though I am working hard and practicing to have a hold on them.

The one I most frequently see is PROBABILITY..πŸ˜›
    At least in India, everything works on that..😁
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I love Math in general, and naturally, when I was doing my engineering, I very much liked Mathematics. So much so, that after taking the three compulsory courses in mathematics, I opted for random processes, again a math paper, as one of my electives. So, I took a total of 4 math papers in my engineering.

I still love math, though there are not many instances I get to use it practically in my job. But then, Math is a bit overwhelming and it doesn't have the direct impact that subjects like Physics or Chemistry have on us in school. Although physics, chemistry and other streams (and nowadays increasingly, even biology) rely heavily on math to explain the everyday occurrences around us, that becomes mired in the subject at hand, and it's viewed as a separate subject in itself, rather than mathematics applied to that subject.

So, in my experience, though the real-world applications of so many concepts I studied in my engineering were not immediately clear when I first came across them, I still studied them with as much enthusiasm. In fact, I've come to think that, regardless of practical applications, if you're interested in math and work at improving your math skills, you'll automatically begin thinking and analyzing everything in a mathematical way, or rather 'scientific' way. And you will become better thinkers and analyzers in general. But lo, expressing what you think is another thing, and I think I have very much room to improve in that front. πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I love engineering maths , though i never really understood why was i doing it. Fourier trasnforms were learnt for the sake of elarning, but it was in the subject digital signal processing that i really felt why to use it. One of the most beautiful application of fourier was in OFDM.though what i learnt might be drop in the ocean it was overwhelming just to realise how everythin fitted in. I still admire OFDM(orthogonal frequency division multiplexing). I somehow love matrices as well 😁 along with calculus , I wont forget trignometry, convolution, 😁/ ,yes, I am not too comfortable with probability. I relate it to fuzzylogic where i dont get the relevance of output.There is so much of happiness when you 'read'maths derivation and understand it in plain english! I loved that feeling. If given a chance I would again want to go back to it.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I really love Mathematics. I enjoy solving the problems. And once when I get it solved I get this satisfaction. I don't know why. But maths in general is used in day to day life. And thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for starting this thread. There is one series called the numb3rs where they use math to investigate.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    anuraadha
    There is one series called the numb3rs where they use math to investigate.
    Yep, Numb3rs is too good. I just loved it. The idea of using math to solve complex crimes is beautifully captured in the series.. I came to know of many math facts and concepts from that series.. In each episode, somewhere, Charlie would say, "we would use to solve this", and then proceed to solve the case. I would then go and google that concept, get to know a little bit about it, and then come back to the series again.. It was awesome! πŸ˜€
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    I never understood LDE, transforms, imaginary numbers, the reason and steps for differentiation and integration. Hence, I hated practicing it. My friends who loved maths loved it because they could get the right answer and feel good and practice or practice and get correct answer and felt good, whatever. But none really understood its application.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I used to love maths during my school and engineering days. Even till date passion for maths is not gone, whenever-wherever I see any interesting maths question I engross in it.

-CB
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Not just engineering maths, but maths itself has been my favourite subject since school days. even though sometimes this subject presented complications and difficulties i still loved it and laughed at people who use to shy away from studying it.

My favourite topics in engineering maths are integral calculus and matrices. But i however find topics like fourier series, z-transform complicated and abstract.

Unlike other colleges, we had numerical methods a compulsory subject, and this was quite interesting, especially methods like gauss-seidal, gauss jacobian etc. solving problems related to them was like playing with a rubik's cube.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I also love analytical engineering papers like, engineering mechanics, thermal engineering, dynamics of machinery etc, simply because they involve a lot of mathematics.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, we've 69.2% saying 'YES'!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I love solving mathematics puzzles. Somehow prove this or justify theorem - type questions didn't appeal to me (Like most of you said above, we weren't taught their significance)

I scored 41 on Engineering Mathematics when 40 was the minimum passing score. 😐
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    silverscorpion
    Yep, Numb3rs is too good. I just loved it. The idea of using math to solve complex crimes is beautifully captured in the series.. I came to know of many math facts and concepts from that series.. In each episode, somewhere, Charlie would say, "we would use to solve this", and then proceed to solve the case. I would then go and google that concept, get to know a little bit about it, and then come back to the series again.. It was awesome! πŸ˜€
    Exactly!! Even I used to google it and see if it is really possible. I got an affinity to the series when a simple concept of the path of water from fountain (i.e. parabolic path) is taken to solve a series of murder.
    The movie Beautiful Mind is indeed beautiful. Even that has a theorem applied in real life. If you haven't seen, please do watch.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    anuraadha
    Exactly!! Even I used to google it and see if it is really possible. I got an affinity to the series when a simple concept of the path of water from fountain (i.e. parabolic path) is taken to solve a series of murder.
    The movie Beautiful Mind is indeed beautiful. Even that has a theorem applied in real life. If you haven't seen, please do watch.
    I've watched 'A beautiful mind' many times.. It's actually based on the life of John Forbes Nash, Jr., an economics Nobel Laureate.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    #-Link-Snipped-# 'A Beautiful mind' - thanks for that πŸ˜€ Yes.
  • Reya
    Reya
    I haven't watched "A beautiful mind". I will watch it definitely.
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    Yes i also love to do mathematics.To me this is the most interesting subject.In college we had Engineering Mathematics in the 1st and 2nd year.Till 2nd year getting good points was not tough for me,as this subject helped me to get more marks easilyπŸ˜€ ..As a result I started thinking getting good points in Engineering is not at all difficult😁 .But after 5th semester result i realized that to get good marks i have to study other subjects giving almost equal importance to them.And it is not sooooooooo easy to get good marks as i had thought to be.........πŸ˜” But one thing i noticed that though we studied mathematics for 4 semester but i didn't get how this subject is related or used in computer science department..I think his subject only increased the number of subjects in a semester......πŸ˜– For satisfaction i answer myself that "Atleast for getting good marks with minimum effort this subject has been introduced in our syllabus".
  • shravan kumar.TV
    shravan kumar.TV
    Engineering mathematics is one of my favourite subjects....
    Our lecturers taught us it in a very well manner.. And according to me person who is able to solve those problems can solve many real problems which arises in their life...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Math being a favourite of the student primarily depends on how he or she is taught in the basics I really have to thank my MOTHER for that SHE instilled the passion of maths in me by teaching me all the basics in it

A BIG THANK YOU MOM FOR BEING THE BEST MATH TEACHER I EVER HAD
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Being a diploma graduate, my Mathematics is pathetically weak(right now).
    So, now in 3rd semester in B.E. when I see integration,Fourier,Laplace & all that, I find it very hard to understand.
    I mean i don't even know the formulae of Integration & differentiation, how can i understand Laplace & PDE ? Goddamn !
    But that will be excuse if I say I hate it just 'cuz I don't know basics of calculus.I can't let this subject suck up my overall performance.
    So, right now - I hate it. 20 days from today- I'm gonna love it 😁
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    engineering mathematics is one of my favorite subject!!!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    last sem(9th) in our General Competence1 subject our lecturer tackled the subject engineering mathematics...
    In that subject i learned the beauty of mathematics, learned shortcuts and most of all I learned how to really use my calculator...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi My Dear Friends, I have allocated PG DAC course for CDAC Chennai.But I have a lot of questions about CDAC Chennai.Is CDAC Chennai a good institute? Can any one...
Mr. and Mrs. Sharma are going for tour. Mr. and Mrs. Sharma has 9 sons and 6 daughters, all of 'em married. Out of 9 sons of Sharma, 5 sons...
Tell me about instrumentation project of 5th sem which i will make in this same?
Hello CEans! A million thanks for the warm welcome specially to the admin's . I'm a newbie here who's been accidentally found this site 😍 . I'm looking forward to...
i want to know if i can do a project to stop atm robbery.though there are cctv's , its of no use.can u suggest me some ideas