How Heat Exchangers Work

How do Industrial Heat Exhangers work? For Example in the Conoco Phillips process to turn nat gas into LNG they use 3 cooling stages. The first using propane, then ethane then methane. How do these heat exchangers turn gas into liquid? And why propane ethane and methane?
#-Link-Snipped-# looking forward to your response on this.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As far as I am aware, the Conoocoophillips process is a patented cascade cooling technology, which is in contrast to the popular propane precooled mixed refrigerant technology.
    Natural gas when cooled to -160 C remains a liquid at ambient pressure. If this liquefaction can be done offshore there are major advantages in handling.
    The cascade technology achieves this liquefaction by progressive cooling. Propne has the highest, ethane the middle and methane the lowest temperature. While theoretically one can use methane directly, overall efficiency and economics favours the cascade process.
    Other than that I do not think that there is anything special in the heat transfer unit operation itself.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The second link told me what I needed to know, thanks!
  • scorpion2189
    scorpion2189
    How are heat exchangers used for cryogenic applications (for eg. Liquefaction of natural gas) different from normally used heat exchangers??? Is there any change in the construction or working???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

any other ideas and information about 9 stroke engine ???????? pls inform me
Facebook has reveled that out of total 955 registered users database 100+ miliion users are either not legitimate or duplicate users. Per Facebook Illegitimate - 8.7% Duplicate - 4.8 %...
Server-side polymorphism - what does the term means? SSP is a technique that is used by hackers or malware distributors in an attempt to evade the detection by anti-virus software....
Everybody is loving Olympics, Except Netflix ! Per Netflix, they have lost around 25% traffic in US in last 7 olympics days as everyone is goingt o NBC live extra...
A very GUD mourning to all the engineers As iam dealing with my major project , i have been allotted with the topic SAMBA SERVER. My idea is to establish...