How does open source the community survive?

Hi buddies,
I just had a silly doubt. We've all been using os like linux and softwares like firefox, picasa, VLC media player and a host of other free tools. My queston is who is funding these projects and what is the profit they get by providing these freely to the public. Google also provides a lot of free software solutions. It actually conducts an annual open source coding contest to recognise the best coding talent... So in what way does these help them economically? Why are they doing it?...
Pls clarify...

Replies

• Abhilash41
    Abhilash41
    Most professionals involved in open source development make a living by teaching, or consulting. Organizations do the same thing--teaching, consulting, products/companies.

As for companies encouraging open source coding through competitions, doesn't it pay off by attracting the programmers towards these companies....?
  • mahul
    mahul
    This is my doubt too. just because they r consulting/teaching, would it still pay off giving off software for free(when they have invested so much time and energy developing it) . And to top it all, linux distributing organizations even actaully send interested people linux distribution media(cd's or dvd's) free of cost. Now where do they finance this from??
  • Abhilash41
    Abhilash41
    Open source isn't exactly the non-profit venture most take it to be. Creativity and freedom are important aspects of the philosophy but that does not mean to imply that open-source can not be profitable. Check these links:
    1. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • mahul
    mahul
    thanxx abhilash...the links were cool....really cleared the whole thing up
  • Abhilash41
    Abhilash41
    you are welcome.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah.. we can use this concept to make CE a business too! We've always been striving to create open source programs.. this could be an incentive to start to actually develop them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Ah.. we can use this concept to make CE a business too! We've always been striving to create open source programs.. this could be an incentive to start to actually develop them.
    ..and that is the game plan 😁

Generate wealth & distribute wealth - that's what we will do. But some time must pass before we achieve that stage.

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, There's a robotics contest coming up in our univ. For that i've to build a robot that "sees" another robot in the arena and chases and catches it....
hi guys... i am a mca student.. i need some new seminar topics related to latest computer technology. .please help me.. please mail me @ anasmohammedpm@gmail.com
CEans, Not many of us are aware of the wonderful world of Software Quality Engineering. Over the time, I've got many email queries from CEans about Software Test Automation. We...
hi friends, i recently got interested in trying 2 build upa neat little programming language. i think the linux tools lex and yacc wd come in handy. do u ceans...
Hi, I have a laptop and a pc in my room. i am using gprs from airtel on my pc,i wants to work on both . how to i share...