History behind companies name !!!

Yahoo is a big name in IT industry, every one of us has used Xerox sometimes in life. Sony .. redhat.. sun... microsoft are other names from which we are we versant.

Have you ever thought why Jerry Young choosen name Yahoo !!

Here I will provide a list which will explain the history behind that....

starting with Yahoo !!

Yahoo !! -> The word was invented by Jonathan Swift and used in his book Gulliver's Travels. It represents a person who is repulsive in appearance and action and is barely human. Yahoo! founders Jerry Yang and David Filo selected the name because they considered themselves yahoos.

-CB

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Good.
    The name Yahoo! is an acronym for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle,"
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Xerox -> The Greek root "xer" means dry. The inventor, Chestor Carlson , named his product Xerox as it was dry copying, markedly different from the then prevailing wet copying.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    SUN Microsystems -> Founded by four Stanford University buddies, Sun is the acronym for Stanford University Network.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    SAP -> Systems, Applications, Products in Data Processing", formed by four ex-IBM employees who used to work in the 'Systems/Applications/Projects' group of IBM.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Red Hat -> Company founder Marc Ewing was given the Cornell lacrosse team cap (with red and white stripes) while at college by his grandfather. He lost it and had to search for it desperately. The manual of the beta version of Red Hat Linux had an appeal to readers to return his Red Hat if found by anyone!

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Oracle -> Larry Ellison and Bob Oats were working on a consulting project for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). The code name for the project was called Oracle (the CIA saw this as the system to give answers to all questions or something such).

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Mmotorola -> Founder Paul Galvin came up with this name when his company started manufacturing radios for cars. The popular radio company at the time was called Victrola

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Microsoft -> It was coined by Bill Gates to represent the company that was devoted to MICROcomputer SOFTware. Originally christened Micro-Soft, the '-' was removed later on.

-CB
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nice information CB.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    nice piece of info.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Awesome job CB..! thanks for your information..
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Lotus -> Mitch Kapor got the name for his company from the lotus position or 'padmasana.' Kapor used to be a teacher of Transcendental Meditation of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Intel -> Bob Noyce and Gordon Moore wanted to name their new company ' Moore Noyce' but that was already trademarked by a hotel chain, so they had to settle for an acronym of INTegrated Electronics.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @CrazyBoy: Looks like there's some error in the URL you're linking to. They all direct to only one link.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    That was by mistake, I had no intention to point the information to any link. I apologies for the mistake.

-CB
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I don't want this thread to be dead.
    Come on!! This is the time students look for company's information.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Sony -> The founders of Sony, Akio Morita and Masaru Ibuka derived the nane form 'Sonus', the latin word for sound and 'sonny' meaning small size or a youthful boy since they considered themselves to be the "Sonny Boys" a loan word into Japanese which in the early 1950s connoted smart and presentable young men.

*loan word means a a word that is borrowed from one language and incorporated into another.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Toshiba:Toshiba's early history has two strands: 1875 saw the establishment of Tanaka Seizo-sho (Tanaka Engineering Works), Japan's first manufacturer of telegraphic equipment. Its founder, Hisashige Tanaka (1799 - 1881), was well known from his youth for inventions that included mechanical dolls and a perpetual clock. Under the name Shibaura Seisaku-sho (Shibaura Engineering Works), his company became one of Japan's largest manufacturers of heavy electrical apparatus. In 1890, Hakunetsu-sha & Co., Ltd. was established as Japan's first plant for electric incandescent lamps. Subsequent diversification saw the company evolve as a manufacturer of consumer products. In 1899, the company was renamed Tokyo Denki (Tokyo Electric Co.).
    In 1939, these two companies, leaders in their respective fields, merged to form an integrated electric equipment manufacturer, Tokyo Shibaura Denki (Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co., Ltd.). The company was soon well known as 'Toshiba,' which became its official name in 1978.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

... what would be your dream job? As for me, i love to paint and I love learning new things so if no money is involved i will be doing...
A site with photographs of horrible improvised ways of fixing things: There, I Fixed It: Epic Kludges + Jury Rigs Use the "older entries" button at the bottom of the...
How line codes are effective in transmission of PCM signals? Any idea about application of HDB3 code? How to obtain power spectral density of diffrent codes?😒
Name:Rishipratim Mazumdar Engineering: Electronics and Communications Location: Durgapur, West Bengal,India Occupation: Student😛 Hobbies & Interests: Music(almost all genres😎), guitar, books, robotics,etc,etc,etc... Aim in life: No clear or definite idea. It...
New welding process is created in Austria.TIP TIG is the best welding process in existence.High quality and productivity.Here are films and pictures: https://elica-welding.eu/