help required on project of controlling the fan of room through computer

Hello,
I have this little project in my mind to control the fans,lights and other electrical devices through my computer. . .
which by further expanding i would try implementing with a simple text message from my cell to computer ( but thats the later part )

Right now ,i need a complete guidance on this project to control a simple ceiling fan orr an electric bulb of my room THROUGH A COMPUTER

Im in my 5th semester of electrical engineering but honestly don't have any idea about anything ๐Ÿ˜”
Please help me out ๐Ÿ˜” please ๐Ÿ˜”

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    have a look in my signature
    there you will see a link hardware interfacing
    I hope it will help you
    and please keep me informing about you performance..actually i am also working on same project
  • netfreak
    netfreak
    Hello goyal,
    I had a look at the website buttttt the problem is that just like i've told u earlier :/
    i dun know much about anything,
    i dun know anything about hardware,software, nothing :/

But i really would go through all the stuff that is needed to be known to implement this project and start working on it :/
  • Tkot
    Tkot
    i suppose you try get a software that can be used to control an interface on the computer and try getting that interface connected to the devices electrically, maybe through a cable just as house wiring is done.
  • netfreak
    netfreak
    cant i have an A to Z (detailed) description,method and everything sooooo detailed to read and understand , so i could make one project and get on da track ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    First of all netfreak..don't use sms language
    and 2nd thing...you have internet in which there are so many websites.....that provide you all the material...try yourself...at least give it a start yourself...then ceans are here to help you...
    Best of luck...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Some more suggestion you can control your bulb or fan via bluetooth or RF. So i suggest you rather than searching for ready project please do search on basic of the project. My classmate is doing the same project if you need any help then i can get data from them and will send you but first of all please show your progress here on crazyengineers so it also may be helpful to other members.
  • netfreak
    netfreak
    *No more sms language or emotions *

Actually and honestly, the problem is that I don't know the basics of anything, and thats actually the truth
    But by having a project,the data of it infront of me and knowing what I am actually supposed to be focusing on, it would be quite easier for me to focus on the project, develope the ideas and understand the functioning of each and every component used

@ godfather, Yes,it would be hell helpful to have the data from you and all the necessary help too
  • pracas
    pracas
    Here is the List of things you need to learn and know(in that order preferably)

1) Basic electronic circuitry of switching on electrical appliances from a digital input. Perhaps some relays triggered through a transistor.
    2) How RF transmitters / receivers work and how to use encoders.
    3)now try using the rf modules to activate the transistor.
    4)How to connect the transmitter to the serial port and send data to it.
    5)some programming language(python - don't get scared by the name, its the easiest) to create a control application in your pc that will send data to the serial port
    6) you are done!

Now having said that, Its time and effort consuming so
    0) learn patience & circuit debugging

I presume you are studying engineering, So, now dont ask people for circuits on whatever i've mentioned, but try and do them yourselves ;-)

Cheers,
    Prakash
  • ramanujam007
    ramanujam007
    please reply

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sir / madam, My question is The length of each side of a square is 3x/4+1. What is the perimeter of the square a. x+1 b. 3x+1 c. 3x+4 d....
I'm bit surprised to see that Airtel (India's foremost telecom operator) has now ventured into website hosting business! Look here: Airtel Choose from over 15,000 High quality Template Possibilities Get...
hi Ceans Please answer this question What is the Storage virtualization and benefits of Network Virtualization . i want this urgent
Hi CEans,every one has their own thoughts brilliant as well as foolish ones but the point is they has to tell their ideas and share their ideas to others so...
Folks, If you are appearing for CAT 2009, please do post your analysis in this thread. It would surely help lot of our members. The CAT will be conducted over...