Hard working engineer does not get credit. What should he do?

My question : Suppose you are working with team on a project. You are the only one who worked hard. Your project got rewarded but your all team members got the credit for it. So do you think its fair. what will you do?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *pushkar*
    My question : Suppose you are working with team on a project. You are the only one who worked hard. Your project got rewarded but your all team members got the credit for it. So do you think its fair. what will you do?
    I'm moving your question to a new thread as it's not an interview related question, but more of an 'HR' related question. First of all, understand that the corporate system is not at all perfect. The most practical way to deal with this type of situation is like this -

1. Always make sure that your hard work is noticed - by all fair means. Document all of your achievements and share them with your seniors who matter.
    2. You've chosen to be a part of an imperfect system (corporate system) - and it's your choice. People stealing other's credit is a part of it. It's up to you how you want to fight this. However, be alerted that 'fighting' with the system often taken 'negatively' by most of the managers. I personally don't like this point - but I've been through this as well.

I figured out that I won't be able to be a part of the system for all of my life. I took steps and quite the software industry ๐Ÿ˜€ and ventured into my own business. I now face different challenges, but I enjoy every part of it. This may not be an ideal solution for everyone.

It's up to you on what points you can compromise.

{ I'm quite sure I'm opening a debate here. Am I? ๐Ÿ˜€ }
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I feel, its important that your manager knows what you are upto :-s. else such situations arise, but as well it might also be that there might be one or two who take credit for others work but not all of them tking credit of ones work. If it happens in real life, I am lucky not to have such team mates in all projects I have worked for.
    As well, from your end, it becomes important to encourage and recognise others hard work. such as incase someone from your team has recived appreciation , you should whole haertedly ack that its not your work and give due credit to the real deserver. In that way, you will be setting up an example for rest to follow.

Even though, heirarchy is followed in organisations, it is no harm to directly interact with the end user. but one repucursion of this action would be, that the end user would be getting inputs from various sources, hence letting all those sources know as well becomes equally important.

Incase at last , you still end up not being recognised for your work, take precautions that this doesnot happen next time. If your senior is taking your credit, I dont think there is much you can do , but if the level tema member os acting smart, its better to confront them individually on lighter sides. if it repeast get your senior in and let them know.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Dropping in another question: What should one do if the team lead or manager takes all the credit? ๐Ÿ˜
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    AbraKaDabra
    Dropping in another question: What should one do if the team lead or manager takes all the credit? ๐Ÿ˜
    I have one idea. If you know that your boss will get all credit of your work & if you are sure bout it. And your work is perfect then send it's report to higher authority & your boss simultaneously.
    I think it is better option. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AbraKaDabra
    The team lead or manager can't claim credit for individual achievements in 90% of the cases. But if they do, and you've the proof, present it to appropriate people, on appropriate occasions at appropriate time.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    AbraKaDabra
    Firstly, the job roles of a TM and TL differ right ๐Ÿ˜›, for example ( ablunt one)- you manager cant go and say - I coded/tested this application by myself. Its a plain lie which is visible. He/She can only manage , they wont have time to spend on these issues. Hence as Biggie said, 90% times such instances wont arise where the manager might hog on Team members work. Yes, there would be instances where the manager assigns the TM his part of work, such as preparing reports, or blah blah blah, and then might finally show the report as self prepared.Though many might not agree with me here, such things did happen to me as a fresher and all i did was to keep my calm and vetn out to someone who would listen. There is no point in escalating such meagre issues to your senior's senior as they have bigger issues to take care of. Later, as I moved on with ym job, I started replying sarcastically. For example - I would say -" hey this is the same thing what i sent you the other day" ansd smile it away.

Such things happen a lot when you have teams working in different locations and there is no transperancy within the team.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, Everyone dreams of flying in air but only who can afford can make their dreams work. I wonder if we can't afford why can't we make one which...
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) yesterday announced that Rupay Card - which works on the basis of VISA and MasterCard will be launched by the end of this fiscal....
Dear engineers, I need your help in analyzing this query: Our plant consists of 11x 635 KW, 415V Waukesha gensets, 2 x 3.5MW,11KV wartsila gensets, 11 KV main bus for...
Microsoft today confirmed that Windows 8 will have tight USB 3.0 integration. By 2015, it's expected that all the mainstream computing devices will offer tight USB 3.0 integration. USB 3.0...
iPhone 5 will truly be a global phone with support for both GSM and CDMA networks. This means a single device will be able to select from GSM and CDMA...