Guess the age.

There is a person who conducts survey. He visits a house. A lady opens the door. The person asks about the family details. The lady says she has three children. The person asks the ages of the children.

Lady : I won't tell you the individual ages of my three children; but i would tell that the product of their ages is 36.

Person: Madam, there are many combinations possible, I am not able to get the ages.

Lady : I would give another hint. The sum of the ages of my children is equal to the house number of the house on the opposite road.

The person goes to the opposite road, sees the house number and returns.
Person: Sorry Madam, but I still couldn't get the ages.

Lady (Angrily) : I won't tell the ages and you stop disturbing me and my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs.

The lady bangs the door!!!
Person: Now I got the ages.

Q: What are the individual ages?πŸ˜•
[Assume that the person is good in Maths πŸ˜‰]

Assume ages are integers, twins or triplets are possible.

Replies

• Differential
    Differential
    The youngest is 1 and other 2 are 6.
    Am I right ?
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    yes, differential exactly right :clap:

think about 4,3,3
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    another 9,2,2 is also possible
    which is the correct answer Mayur!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Ages can be :

1,1,36 sum=38
    1,2,18 sum=21
    1,3,12 sum=16
    1,4,9 sum=14
    1,6,6 sum=13
    2,2,9 sum=13
    2,3,6 sum=11
    3,3,4 sum=10

As the person needs more clues the sum is 13 ( 1,6,6 or 2,2,9) i.e not unique

The statement "my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs" indicates that 'youngest' is only 1 person so answer is 1,6,6 it cant be 2,2,9
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    komputergeek
    As the person needs more clues the sum is 13 ( 1,6,6 or 2,2,9) i.e not unique

The statement "my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs" indicates that 'youngest' is only 1 person so answer is 1,6,6 it cant be 2,2,9
    Hmmm... πŸ˜€
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I guess it's 1,4,9..assuming the elder two are at school and the sum (14) is unique 😁
  • pooja sehgal
    pooja sehgal
    its 1,6,6
    product is=36
    when peson went to opposite house, got confused in 2 cases i.e(1,6,6)&(2,2,9).
    lady said youngest daughter that means youngest is not twince so ans is(1,6,6).
    m i right????????????
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    MaRo
    I guess it's 1,4,9..assuming the elder two are at school and the sum (14) is unique 😁
    No Maro... I think you are working too much these days. Whats up with you man?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    assumptions:
    1.opp house no is a whole number unlike x/c/201 etc... 😁(no reason behind this assumption)
    2.youngest daughter sleeping at home!πŸ˜€ other two are not at home during the day time when the inspection is being done , so can go out without their mom...

xyz=36,

case1: if the opp house no =odd
    then x+y+z=odd
    factors of 36 satisfying are:

since twp are eligible for going out and only 1 youngest around
    i came to conclusion its 6,6,1

case2😲pp house no even
    x+y+z=even

since only 1 youngest 4,3,3 is discarded
    and a child of 3 years may not be out by itself
    hence might be 9,4,1 as well

so finally its 6,6,1
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Good explanation Durga. But I don't see the logic behind the assumptions.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    durga
    assumptions:
    1.opp house no is a whole number unlike x/c/201 etc... 😁(no reason behind this assumption)
    2.youngest daughter sleeping at home!πŸ˜€ other two are not at home during the day time when the inspection is being done , so can go out without their mom...
    I had already mentioned buddy!! 😁 no specific reason behind assumtpions..

Its just a kind of hypothesis...

firstly , since she said that her kids age was sum as the house opposite...i assumed it should be a whole number

and second one i assumed coz...
    the man came for inspection and he is on work... so it might be after 9 am and since a child is sleeping means its still not old enough to go out

this is all what i could thinkπŸ˜’
  • Differential
    Differential
    I don't think a need of this much complex logic here ! I mean type of house no. doesn't come anywhere here, does it ? πŸ˜‰
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmmm

πŸ˜€

may be... but it did help out in isolating the possibilities..

any wz thats all I could think lets see when Mayur declares the answer
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    what is the final answer ?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    6yrs, 6yrs, 1yr
  • Differential
    Differential
    Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrey ! I'm right ! πŸ˜€
    Thank God I could solve atleast one puzzle here !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i say the same too !! 😁

finally one solution( with a complex round the issue explaination) on CE!!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    durga
    i say the same too !! 😁

finally one solution( with a complex round the issue explaination) on CE!!

Waiting for some more brain teasers...

😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You were trekking in the hills of Chambal when you were caught by Gabbar Singh. He took out his special gun with 12 chambers for bullets. He opened the barrel...
How To Make Your Own Module Remot canterol Jet Aircraft For Airomodling Lover's In India​ Watch Online Video [url="
I've had my experience of losing about 600 mb of ubuntu .iso file while downloading from the Internet. So I'm now thinking can anyone explain how the 'resume download' works?...
Dear I want to change the default sound of the window Xp at a time of starting can any body suggest me hw to do so ,..
can any one suggest me a goob book for web desigining keep mind for the beginner😎