Guess the age.

Mayur Pathak
@mayur-ywQKfu โ€ข Oct 25, 2024

There is a person who conducts survey. He visits a house. A lady opens the door. The person asks about the family details. The lady says she has three children. The person asks the ages of the children.

Lady : I won't tell you the individual ages of my three children; but i would tell that the product of their ages is 36.

Person: Madam, there are many combinations possible, I am not able to get the ages.

Lady : I would give another hint. The sum of the ages of my children is equal to the house number of the house on the opposite road.

The person goes to the opposite road, sees the house number and returns.
Person: Sorry Madam, but I still couldn't get the ages.

Lady (Angrily) : I won't tell the ages and you stop disturbing me and my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs.

The lady bangs the door!!!
Person: Now I got the ages.

Q: What are the individual ages?๐Ÿ˜•
[Assume that the person is good in Maths ๐Ÿ˜‰]


Assume ages are integers, twins or triplets are possible.

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • Differential

    @differential-0aMwAJ • Oct 30, 2008

    The youngest is 1 and other 2 are 6.
    Am I right ?

  • Raviteja.g

    @ravitejag-02nJVr • Oct 30, 2008

    yes, differential exactly right :clap:

    think about 4,3,3

  • Raviteja.g

    @ravitejag-02nJVr • Oct 30, 2008

    another 9,2,2 is also possible
    which is the correct answer Mayur!

  • komputergeek

    @komputergeek-Yf5hJ4 • Nov 3, 2008

    Ages can be :

    1,1,36 sum=38
    1,2,18 sum=21
    1,3,12 sum=16
    1,4,9 sum=14
    1,6,6 sum=13
    2,2,9 sum=13
    2,3,6 sum=11
    3,3,4 sum=10

    As the person needs more clues the sum is 13 ( 1,6,6 or 2,2,9) i.e not unique

    The statement "my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs" indicates that 'youngest' is only 1 person so answer is 1,6,6 it cant be 2,2,9

  • Mayur Pathak

    @mayur-ywQKfu • Nov 3, 2008

    komputergeekAs the person needs more clues the sum is 13 ( 1,6,6 or 2,2,9) i.e not unique

    The statement "my youngest daughter sleeping upstairs" indicates that 'youngest' is only 1 person so answer is 1,6,6 it cant be 2,2,9

    Hmmm... ๐Ÿ˜€

  • MaRo

    @maro-Ce3knx • Nov 3, 2008

    I guess it's 1,4,9..assuming the elder two are at school and the sum (14) is unique ๐Ÿ˜

  • pooja sehgal

    @pooja-sehgal-8VvSCZ • Nov 4, 2008

    its 1,6,6
    product is=36
    when peson went to opposite house, got confused in 2 cases i.e(1,6,6)&(2,2,9).
    lady said youngest daughter that means youngest is not twince so ans is(1,6,6).
    m i right????????????

  • Mayur Pathak

    @mayur-ywQKfu • Nov 4, 2008

    MaRoI guess it's 1,4,9..assuming the elder two are at school and the sum (14) is unique ๐Ÿ˜

    No Maro... I think you are working too much these days. Whats up with you man?

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Nov 4, 2008

    assumptions:
    1.opp house no is a whole number unlike x/c/201 etc... ๐Ÿ˜(no reason behind this assumption)
    2.youngest daughter sleeping at home!๐Ÿ˜€ other two are not at home during the day time when the inspection is being done , so can go out without their mom...

    xyz=36,

    case1: if the opp house no =odd
    then x+y+z=odd
    factors of 36 satisfying are:
    2,6,3
    6,6,1
    9,2,2

    since twp are eligible for going out and only 1 youngest around
    i came to conclusion its 6,6,1

    case2๐Ÿ˜ฒpp house no even
    x+y+z=even
    4,3,3
    12,3,1
    9,4,1

    since only 1 youngest 4,3,3 is discarded
    and a child of 3 years may not be out by itself
    hence might be 9,4,1 as well

    so finally its 6,6,1

  • Mayur Pathak

    @mayur-ywQKfu • Nov 6, 2008

    Good explanation Durga. But I don't see the logic behind the assumptions.

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Nov 6, 2008

    durgaassumptions:
    1.opp house no is a whole number unlike x/c/201 etc... ๐Ÿ˜(no reason behind this assumption)
    2.youngest daughter sleeping at home!๐Ÿ˜€ other two are not at home during the day time when the inspection is being done , so can go out without their mom...

    I had already mentioned buddy!! ๐Ÿ˜ no specific reason behind assumtpions..

    Its just a kind of hypothesis...

    firstly , since she said that her kids age was sum as the house opposite...i assumed it should be a whole number

    and second one i assumed coz...
    the man came for inspection and he is on work... so it might be after 9 am and since a child is sleeping means its still not old enough to go out

    this is all what i could think๐Ÿ˜’

  • Differential

    @differential-0aMwAJ • Nov 6, 2008

    I don't think a need of this much complex logic here ! I mean type of house no. doesn't come anywhere here, does it ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Nov 6, 2008

    hmmm

    ๐Ÿ˜€

    may be... but it did help out in isolating the possibilities..

    any wz thats all I could think lets see when Mayur declares the answer

  • Raviteja.g

    @ravitejag-02nJVr • Nov 18, 2008

    what is the final answer ?

  • Mayur Pathak

    @mayur-ywQKfu • Nov 18, 2008

    6yrs, 6yrs, 1yr

  • Differential

    @differential-0aMwAJ • Nov 18, 2008

    Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrey ! I'm right ! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thank God I could solve atleast one puzzle here !

  • durga ch

    @durga-TpX3gO • Nov 18, 2008

    i say the same too !! ๐Ÿ˜

    finally one solution( with a complex round the issue explaination) on CE!!

  • Anil Jain

    @CrazyBoy • Nov 19, 2008

    durgai say the same too !! ๐Ÿ˜

    finally one solution( with a complex round the issue explaination) on CE!!


    Waiting for some more brain teasers...

    ๐Ÿ˜