Green building

What is the concept of green building?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    green buildings are the new varieties of building constructions. these buildings are constructed with the view of having a healthier environment for the occupier and conserve resources throughout it's life time.These objectives expand and complement the classical building design concerns of economy, utility, durability, and comfort.

Green buildings reduce the overall impact of the built environment on human health and the natural environment by:
    • Efficiently using energy, water, and other resources and hence making it zero energy building.
    • Protecting occupant health and improving employee productivity by using the paints, timber etc. which don't release the volatile chemicals which cause health problems.
    • Reducing waste, pollution and environment degradation by recycling the water for non-potable purpose and recycling the solid wastes in composit pits.

For example, green buildings may incorporate sustainable materials in their construction (e.g., reused, recycled-content, or made from renewable resources); create healthy indoor environments with minimal pollutants (e.g., reduced product emissions); and/or feature landscaping that reduces water usage (e.g., by using native plants that survive without extra watering).

most of the commercial buildings coming up in large scale are being designed as green buildings.

hope i cleared your doubt 😀

-CP
  • gohm
    gohm
    Wow, this is a huge topic and a great one! The definition is also open to some interpretation. A green building is a structure that through design, build and operation strives to minimize negative impacts on the environment. Metrics used to guide and monitor the process are administered through several agencies. The USGBC/USGBI offers LEED certification, currently one of the top metric forms. Energystar also offers benchmarking as well as Green Globes. Each agency differs in the process involved and has its pros and cons. Did you have questions in a specific topic or area or just green buildings in general?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah as gohm has mentioned there are agencies to rate a building "green". they provide credits based on the functioning of the building in the various aspects. to earn certification, a building project must meet certain prerequisites and performance benchmarks (credits) within each category. Projects are awarded Certified, Silver, Gold, or Platinum certification depending on the number of credits they achieve.
  • 07max
    07max
    So not meant for energy efficient buildings??
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    Green building is energy efficient. zero energy buildings are a subset of green buildings.
  • below_ground
    below_ground
    How is energy efficiency equated in terms of producing green building products?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    as i've mentioned before the green building can have solar panels and stuff and be energy efficient. but that is not the only criteria. the green building has to provide a healthy living environment for the occupants as well as produce less waste throughout it's life time.
    so i mean all green buildings should energy efficient. but not all energy efficient building needs to be green
    did you get my point? 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everybody, I have a UPS connected to my PC with this specs (INPUT 162-290VAC 50-60hz OUT:220VAC+-%10 50-60+-%1 transfer time 2-6ms battery 12V/7AH * 1) yet this seems very ineffective...
Best method & most common and useful method of concrete design
heyy guys ,, one end of my room connects college wi-fi and the other end won't ????? so this thought came to my mind !!!!! can we collect the net...
im planning to do a project in biometric attendance.. can anybdy give me some ideas to get me started??
In traditional print journalism, people write reviews of books, films, music etc. However,there are fewer reviews of websites. Even online magazines don't review other websites extensively; they simply give links...