GPS Data Logger

Hello CEans,
I am making a GPS Data Logger that would store raw GPS signals from GN3S sampler on to a SD card. I am thinking of using a PIC. The only problem I have in understanding is how do I convert the differential data from USB to store on the SD card? I am attaching the circuit diagram which I have conceived till now.

[​IMG]

Help appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am not sure in this project where you are going to use USB?
    You need to get the Raw data from GPS Module and save it to SD Card right?
  • abhinav.gamer
    abhinav.gamer
    The gps receiver has a usb interface to connect it and retrieve data.
    I want to connect it to the PIC and save the data on the SD card without implementing any file system.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    abhinav.gamer
    The gps receiver has a usb interface to connect it and retrieve data.
    I want to connect it to the PIC and save the data on the SD card without implementing any file system.
    I saw GPS devices which supports SPI as well UART. But in your case as it is USB your Controller should support USB host. if you have not purchased GPS module yet then you can use another GPS modules.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I saw some GPS with SPI or UART interface. If you have not purchased Module yet you can change your Module with one which gives your direct data via UART then your firmware development time will become easy.
  • abhinav.gamer
    abhinav.gamer
    Unfortunately I have the GPS module. So I have to get the data from the USB. Any help?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Let me check your PIC MCU supports USB or not.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Well PIC16F819 is not supporting USB.
    I have one idea not sure whether it will work or not but you can try it.
    There is FTDI and PL2303 USB to Serial Converter available take any and Connect your GPS with that Chip and PL2303 can convert USB signal to UART TTL logic that you can use to interface with PIC16F819.
  • AT-OK
    AT-OK
    Agree with godfather..but better buy a GPS modual with Serial interface..as it will be cheaper and more reliable to you.
    FTDI & PL2303 modual hangs sometimes at Power ON,so better you do't use for this application.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AT-OK
    Agree with godfather..but better buy a GPS modual with Serial interface..as it will be cheaper and more reliable to you.
    FTDI & PL2303 modual hangs sometimes at Power ON,so better you do't use for this application.
    Agree with #-Link-Snipped-# Suggestion. It is better to buy New GPS Module instead of changing PIC MCU.
  • abhinav.gamer
    abhinav.gamer
    I have the GPS module. I better change the PIC MCU. Any suggestion on the PIC which will support USB? The main doubt I have is can the differential signal from USB be stored on a MMC?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    abhinav.gamer
    I have the GPS module. I better change the PIC MCU. Any suggestion on the PIC which will support USB? The main doubt I have is can the differential signal from USB be stored on a MMC?
    I will let you know PIC series supporting USB. and Regarding storing on MMC once you have data in MCU Buffer you can easily transfer same to MMC.
  • abhinav.gamer
    abhinav.gamer
    I was hoping of using PIC16C745 which is a 8-bit MCU.
    Will a 8-bit MCU suffice for such an application or should I go for the 16-bit version?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Go with PIC18F2550 It supports USB. 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you thought Galaxy Nexus is your next phone; then there's a bad news for you from the Samsung India official twitter account. Samsung has confirmed that the company won't...
Just thought of making your default avatar more colorful. The default grey & white avatars have been replaced with - If you don't like them, use your own avatar, please...
Since about a decade, IT sector has attracted the attention of state's policy makers, financiers, investors and career conscious due to its phenomenal growth. This, mainly a service industry, is...
Hello Friends, I am Mitul Patel From India. I am new member here. I joined these forums to get more information about the engineers activity and project ideas. However I...
Well.. here's some food for thought. I had my mobile battery kept just next tomy laptops' outlet air vent and i noticed it was getting heated. The thing bugging me...