Couldn't batteries be thermally charged ????

Well.. here's some food for thought.
I had my mobile battery kept just next tomy laptops' outlet air vent and i noticed it was getting heated.
The thing bugging me up now is that.. electricity is in general, the movement of electrons. I hope that i am right with my words. and if it is so, heat is vibrations, or transfer of electrons between energy levels of atoms. Why couldn't we use the same heat, in materials that could probably lead to transfer of vibrations or electrons as in the case of a rod heated only on one end. And so with this, the battery when it was getting heated, would have actually started a process of exciting its electrons and transferring its vibrations, thus gaining energy. Well, it is kind of weird. But am not sure if i am even correct with my question. So, a discussion on this is welcomed.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A regular battery works on electro chemical reactions. Primary batteries depend on an irreversible reaction, while rechargeable batteries work on a reversible reaction. When such a battery is charged you actually reverse the reaction, which requires energy, which is supplied by the charger.
    A warm battery can deliver slightly more power as the reaction can continue longer or faster at higher temperatures. You cannot charge a normal battery with heat. However, using solar cells or Peltier effect devices you can convert heat to electricity, which can then be used to charge the battery.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    wow..! well that explains it all i guess. And that also concludes the reason why most batteries are advised to be kept warm for best results.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That was indeed a curious question though! Could have crossed my mind too.
    Keep such questions coming. 👍
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    yeah. need to keep shufflin brains and getting bored to get such things running in the head. :-D

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi... m an cs engineering student.m studying in 4th sem.i m here to improve my knwoledge
Lecture by Professor Oussama Khatib for Introduction to Robotics (CS223A) in the Stanford Computer Science Department. In the first lecture of the quarter, Professor Khatib provides an overview of the...
Moschip Semiconductor Technology Ltd, a design services company based out of Hyderabad has launched a personal computer virtualisation system to allow gaming, video streaming and Internet browsing on TV. The...
I think the title says it all. even though turbines convert fluid energy into mechanical energy,and their working principle is quite opposite to that of fans and pumps, do they...
I stumbled across this blog called, runningastartup.tumblr.com It very accurately tells you what start-up owners feel like when they are doing their day to day work. I am sure all...