Got a job but i am not happy :(

Hi guys,

Finally, after so much hard work & patience, I've a job in a small software company. My designation is QA Trainee & salary is just 6-7k πŸ˜”

See, I did good work in my btech, secured 73%, even stood in top 5 students thrice in the class. There was so placement so off campuses were only options for us. My friends were saying that i would get some thing good, a good job in infosys atleast.

i had the same dream. I did work to improve my aptitude, technical & communication skills so that i could grab a good job. But luck plays a great job. My all classmates had got job through references. Many of them paid 50-60k and now there are working with good companies like Aon hewitt etc.

I had started worried. So after few months, i had started applying in all small companies also. I had given so many interviews but didn't get success. Finally, i've got this job but i am not happy.

Now, My classmates & friends are working with good companies, getting good salaries & respect but i am getting nothing.

Sometimes, i ask to god "Do i deserve this?"

All of them have good package & many of them, who are working in small companies, are getting 10-15k starting atleast.

Everyone is laughing at me for getting this job but i've got this job with my own hard work & luck

I feel like crying, ashamed of myself. Where to go? Why me? Do i deserve this? Will i beat others in future?

Suggest friends 😭 😭

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If your friends are 'laughing' at you it's time to de-friend them in life and on Facebook. No good friends would laugh at a friend. Second thing - There is no shame in earning lesser money. Your aim should be to beat yourself in expectations and not others. In fact, living up to prove that you're better than others is the most negative attitude in life. It's better you understand it now than be sorry later in life.

First - be proud that being in a small company means you've the opportunity to learn stuff. Instead of complaining and being ashamed of yourself, have you thought of putting your negative energies into making yourself aggressive in mastering your domain? Software QA is often looked down on by idiots who don't understand what it is. In fact, a smart engineer can make an enriching career in QA. I've seen people progressing in their career faster than the typical dev folks. It's all about your attitude towards things that matters in the long run.

Go master manual testing, QTP, JUnit, HTTPUnit, Ruby On Rails. Develop passion and excitement towards the work you're doing and see how your life changes in just 1 year. There is a shortage of high-quality QA engineers. Can you fill that gap? If you can, I bet the industry would dance to your demands if you're 'really good' at your work. My ex-colleague went from being depressed to being the QA God and now draws more salary than most of his 'friends'. He loves what he does and lives a happy life. Even leads multi-million dollar projects single-handedly for companies. He started with a big-name company with a peanut-salary; then joined a smaller company to get the 'technical boost' and now no company says no to him, given his skills-set.

I totally hate it when people blame their situations and do nothing about it. 'Do I deserve this?' - you are your responsible for your situation. Only you can change it if you want. People continue to laugh. They are idiots.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    The road is long ahead.All I can advise is dont loose focus on what you want to be and work towards it. Be happy you have started to work, atleast you dont have to ask for pocket money . Do you job with pride , but dont loose focus on what you want to be.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Superb. Don't know about pushkar but I am motivated by reading that piece of advice from you. Thanks a lot πŸ˜€
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    #-Link-Snipped-# I do agree. Why are you blaming me? I know that QA is a good profile that's why i attended the drive. Actually, all classmates had some references and they had got into companies. I am feeling proud of myself that atleast i've proved myself & better of all.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Bro, In My Opinion, You should continue your job at least for 1 year and after you get some experience say 1 year, apply in bigger company.. Hopefully you will succeed there as you have good grades and by the time you would have experience too.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    yeah.. I am gonna join it. It's a good opportunity for me. Can anyone tell me about the increment after 1 year experience? How do companies do this? Does this depend upon knowledge or current package/profile?
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    *pushkar*
    yeah.. I am gonna join it. It's a good opportunity for me. Can anyone tell me about the increment after 1 year experience? How do companies do this? Does this depend upon knowledge or current package/profile?
    Appraisals depends on the performance but again it will be according to the norms of the company
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Nick_Sharma
    Appraisals depends on the performance but again it will be according to the norms of the company
    No, if i shift to another company then how do they do my increment?
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    *pushkar*
    No, if i shift to another company then how do they do my increment?
    Depends on the profile you get selected into. And the experience that you gain does work a big deal. Get an year's experience and then go for bigger companies like tcs etc because getting an interview after having some industry experience is relatively easy. The need of the hour is to work hard in this one year. all the very best
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-#:
    One thing is missing here, what about learning in your company... if you are learning a lot in your current company you should stick to it.Once you will have much knowledge on live projects you can crack any company interview.
    There are some QA certification which adds value to resume like Six Sigma certification.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Increments would typically be around 20-30% if you switch companies (wondering if that's still the industry standard in these times). But, take my words: if you are GOOD (all CAPS, for a reason); so if you are GOOD, those increments won't apply to you. Startups, SMEs or MNCs would pick you for the price you demand. My friend asked for double the salary and the company offered him double plus Rs. 1 lakh more to make him join. But remember, the word is 'GOOD' (all CAPS).
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    dont worry about package. I some how feel the term 'package' is overhyped. You will get what you deserve. Only concentrate on the qaulity of the work what you will be delivering.
    To further boost your spirit, let me mention that I started career as a QA (I had no idea what it was then) now a Network engineer , my husband has grown from a QA to RM. So dont worry about growth as well. Everyhting will fall in place if you work hard enough with dedication
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I turned from QA to CEO β˜• 😁! Different story, you see.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Why are you so much worried about the monetary things in the starting of your career. At-least invest first few years in grabbing the knowledge and I am sure, if you will be able to gain some good knowledge and work smartly other small things like money will automatically follow you.

As K said, think positive; the small company means you have more chances, show your metal and you think positives that in small company you need not to fight among thousands to go up the ladder. Once people will identify your potential, money will always follow you. Also small company means you have to do so many things on your own from configuring computers, installation, testing phase, processes and what not; and I am very sure that those things would not be there in big companies as there would be vendors who will do that for you and steal your learning from you. so, there are pros and cons of big and small companies,

Only thing I want to suggest you at this point of your career, set some goals for you, work on that, and after some time evaluate your self that where you need to improve. If you are honest with yourself, I am sure that the day would come when fate would give you the chance to return the favors to those folks who are laughing at you. Never ever think about those folks ad let them allow to ruin your career and mental relief; infect make them motivation to get succeed in life.

-CB
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. Of course, i am really gonna learn lots of things. I've to go long.

Actually, my classmate did nothing much and got good jobs. I did lots of hard work, even gave 4 interviews to grab this job. That's hurt me. Also, it's very difficult to survive with just 6-7k in today's world. Hope you understand.

Well, i have my own dreams. I would like to work with good companies, wanna learn a lot, wanna earn good money & a good career too πŸ˜€
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    😁😁😁 Thanks guys 😁 😁😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Pushkar , change your attitude. If not you will never grow. I am sorry I am rude.
    Never ever compare with your friends and talk about it, you never know their knowledge level or the hard work they had put in to get any job.
    Concentrate on your career and not others, this you should remember always in any company you go into.
    Since there will be different kinds of people (collegues) you will start comparing the hikes etc etc again and will come and say Do I deserve this?
    That should not be the case at all.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    *how I wish, Einstein was a software engineer , who was yearing to be a developer* 😘
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Had he be software engineer, you and me must have got a chance to uncover so many things, that he did years ago. 😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    *pushkar*
    Actually, my classmate did nothing much and got good jobs. I did lots of hard work, even gave 4 interviews to grab this job. That's hurt me. Also, it's very difficult to survive with just 6-7k in today's world. Hope you understand.
    Don't compare career just after college... If you want, compare after 7-10 years.
    Just work you as*** off for 2-3 years and learn industry, after that any salary will come to you.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Good to see the change in your attitude #-Link-Snipped-#. That means you are now totally inspired and motivated to go ahead with the job. πŸ‘

I will just add one thing:
    Always compare yourself with yourself alone, how much improvement is there in you today than yesterday. πŸ˜€

Coming to salary, I don't how much salary any of my own family members earn, leave alone knowing the salary of my friends. 😁
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Don't afraid of the position you get. If you are trying to do best on your job and keep learning new things in your field I'm sure you will be at Top position in your field with the experiance. So accept this challenge and show to your friend that after all Knowledge works not contact and links. πŸ˜‰
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Guys, my manager is asking me if i am interested in asp.net then i can shift to that. Should i shift from testing to asp.net. which has good growth?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's actually your choice.. if you like development activity then asp.net would be better choiceπŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *pushkar*
    Guys, my manager is asking me if i am interested in asp.net then i can shift to that. Should i shift from testing to asp.net. which has good growth?
    Why not ask your manager what kind of work you'll do with ASP.net ? Why are you asking us to take decisions for you?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    *pushkar*
    #-Link-Snipped-#, good growth depends on your hardwork; be it testing or development or marketing or whatever.
    Coming to interest, ask yourself if you are interested in ASP.NET .
    If answer is yes, go ahead! πŸ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Vishwanath J Hey I am a 2012 passout batch from ECE branch .. Till now i have not done any certifications and even i did not get placed in campus...
Hi, I am manual tester, and want to move in automation so learning & training of which one tool will be good for growth in software testing.
i am new to eng. recently joining to civil eng. in ycce
hi everyone............. this is nikhil vashistha from delhi india. an upcoming software engineer.
hello crazy engineers, i am currently in my third year of bachelors in electrical and electronics department. i ve been thinking very much about an idea of harnessing lightning energy....