harnessing lightning power

hello crazy engineers,
i am currently in my third year of bachelors in electrical and electronics department. i ve been thinking very much about an idea of harnessing lightning energy. since then i ve been searching about possibilities of doing so. in my search i ve seen in many sites like people are saying that lightning energy cant be harnessed. but its a known fact that if the power of lightning is harnessed, then it would provide energy need for the whole of india. i have a lot of ideas regarding this concept.
firstly, this idea is so basic. we know that taller buildings around the world are installed with lightning conductors to protect the building from the attack. in such cities, such conductors which go deep into the ground to pass the lightning voltage to be grounded, we can also tap the energy by making such conductors pass to a common place, where the lightning can be harnessed in various ways. if lightning is believed to be of a giga volt, then having a series of resistors of high values, (using voltage division), we can divide the huge voltage and that voltage that is available for short time can be used as a booster energy or if possible it can be stored. i am sure that such large energy can be stored. anyways, i need suggestions about whether it is possible so? or how can it be done? or how can such voltage be used efficiently? thats my question number 1.
secondly, i ve also come across another idea, which is like, the lightning when passed through high specific heat metals for long time can definitely make them to melt and so, there will be large amt of heat energy stored in that metal. tungsten seems to be ideal in that case or if compounds like HFC can be a good option too. and with that heat available for days, that could be used to boil water running across the molten material through pipes, so that it can be used to run a turbine and generate electricity for some days, may be such plants can be integrated along with some other power plants and can be operated occasionally. in such case u may wonder if tungsten is in molten state, then the water carrying pipeline metal can also melt. so here we need to select metals that can be used as a heat source(with high specific heat capacity that doesnt melt the water carrying pipe) and metal for the pipe to carry water. may be once installed, by integrating it with other plants, say nuclear or steam). this seems to be somewhat feasible. but how do we tap the lightning to such system is what i cant get !
thirdly, the voltage from such buildings can be connected to a tesla coil, which can be used as an step down transformer when used in the inverted condition to step down such huge voltages to voltage that can be used in the process of electrolysis. if so with just a small amount of time electrolysis can be done, to tap hydrogen and oxygen from the electrolyte, say water, which are by themselves highly efficient future fuels used in rocketry and so on!!! and what i wonder is can tesla coil be used so? since i dont know much about tesla coil and the voltages it can deal with. and for electrolysis, what amount of voltage is required and for what duration the voltage needs to be maintained?
fourthly, if the voltage from such buildings are passed through highly rugged metals like tungsten or copper , if such metal is made into a huge tower of coils and laid horizontally, then it could act as a solenoid to generate high magnetic flux lines across it which can be used for various purposes like making a high intensity laser for research purposes, or such magnetic fields can be used in MHD (magnetic hydrodynamic) power plants too. in that case, is this idea feasible?
similarly there can be lot more ideas coming too, i need some suggestions regarding the doubts i ve raised above. thank you !!!

Replies

• Ali.imran
    Ali.imran
    nice idea but i don't think that is possible.lighting discharge may have current 10KA to 100KA and it reaches its maximum value with in milli or perhaps micro sec and then finishes.
    the problem is that you can't be sure when or where the bolt is going to strike . it is not necessary that it will strike skyscraper. even if you use lighting arresters, lightening discharge will diminish in no time. it will be like a bulb that just goes on and then off immediately.you will not be able to harness it.
    assume you are able to design such a system which will use lightening current to charge a battery and you are lucky to get a strike, the battery is going to blow with the first strike and if you use high value resistor just like you said, there is going to be a lot of power loss.(i still believe it's not possible). just imagine someone spends his time ,money and space to place the huge equipment and then waits for a storm every time for its working. don't think its that worthy.
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    theoretically it might be possible, but practically is quite not possible....current and voltage of lightening varies a lot,so such system will need to cover for that effect which will serious result 2 an unstable system and even heavy power loss....critically thinking to u really think it is possible practically....
    😏

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hiiiiiii friends my name is gayathri 😁 😁 😁 i am a hardworking and a enthusiastic person😁
The Speed Cash Maintenance project's idea is to transfer money from one place to another within a short time. Abstract: The development of the new system should contain the following...
hey everyone, I would be glad if anyone can help me out in how to use a mobile to make a navigator. I want its number keys(of the phone)to instruct...
The aim of the project is to manage tasks in a big company. Abstract: In a company where the hierarchy of employees spans over thousand managing the work with them...
The aim of this project is to design an advertising portal. Abstract: Promotional Portal is a kind of advertising portal which is particularly common in newspapers, online and other periodicals....