Google Chrome Vs. Mozilla Firefox Vs. Microsoft

I've been thinking, Google is slowly trying to be the next Microsoft. With the launch of Google Chrome, the world moves one step ahead towards browser+hardware platform. So, we can very well accept that in future, the need for Operating systems (read Microsoft Windows) will be eliminated.

So far, Google has been funding the Mozilla Firefox project. But with the launch of their own browser, which is a direct competition to Mozilla Firefox, their relationship with Mozilla is not going to last forever. Google recently hired two lead Firefox engineers and Mozilla is certainly not happy about it.

Microsoft, in the mean time, has been trying hard to make IE 8 super rich. But since the world seems to favor everything that Google does - IE 8 is going to see some good competition. Will Chrome put an end to Windows? Will Chrome end the good Firefox?

What do you think?

Replies

• kedarjk
    kedarjk
    No, Microsoft is a toughest competitor. Googles one web browser can't challenge the kingdom of MS.
    Also very few people know about such highly technical things, other still rely on MS.
    MS will also be coming with so many new features, they are the masters in selling products to people. More than that, MS is been known to people for so many years, so marketing of their new products is not going to be tough for them.

About mozilla firefox, we can have 2-3 web browsers in our system 😉.
    So I guess, if good featuring from mozilla continues, it will survie.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Mozilla still remains the favorite browser for lot of people like me. And I think it will continue to be so until Google comes up with some thing kick ass which even Mozilla cant beat.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, they may be feeling a bit left out but are surely gathering steam. Their Media Room initiative is gearing up for that big IPTV launch 😀sshhh: this is from a MS insider). This is just an example how Microsoft is trying to explore territories with no presence from its nearest competitors. For that matter even Yahoo! has collaborated with Intel for lot of initiatives in interactive media (including launching an IPTV again that will run by your Yahoo messenger account.)

Google's attempt at domination of the web world on the other hand will continue. Whether they can completely beat Microsoft or not is a question even Larry Page may not be able to answer.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I really do not think that Google and MS are competing on the same turf. If MS has its vast suite of applications, Google has its suite of web-based applications. Both of them need each other to survive, so what if there is some competition between the areas that overlap. e.g Desktop based search, IM, browsers, et al.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kidakaka - do you agree with "Google is trying to be Microsoft" [PS:. Monopoly]
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    Kidakaka - do you agree with "Google is trying to be Microsoft" [PS:. Monopoly]
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the web space. May it be Google, Microsoft, Yahoo... they will continue to be competitors in the race for web space
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    In the corporate world everyone is trying to beat everyone else. Remember how Netscape was "shot down" at a microsoft's meeting? And what about Intel/AMD and Nvidia and ATI (now both are part of Intel and AMD respectively)? Inumerous examples, its normal.

I dont think Google is trying to "be" microsoft. It is what it is. google has some "unmatched" services that microsoft cannot even touch, where as Microsoft is in itself very VERY important. People use Google products through Microsoft Windows (I am talking aout general population, otherwise even Linux is very important!).

Now the tables can turn ONLY if Google can match an OS of the popularity of MS wiindows. But that seems a bit far, considering Linux (being free) still hasnt cought up with the general poppulation.

Kidikada has put it well 😁 😁

I did try the new Chrome browser, but yea, it does need a bit more polishing (thats why beta). But one thing I noticed is that it uses a LOT LOT LOT less RAM than firefox. Dont know how, if someone can enlighten us on that area, please do!
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    "Google Chrome is partly a defensive move as Microsoft is incorporating functionality in new browsers that may block the collection of ad targeting information," Stifel Nicolaus analyst George Askew wrote in a note Tuesday.

And google runs on advertisements. Google is manipulating the search engines to show the results it desires. It is trying to force everything its way!

Down with google! I am thinking switching to live for search after I did a quick search for the keyword "google chrome" on google and live, which confirmed my doubts about google.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a personal note, I did try Live search and it worked very well. I *might* shift to live search as well.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Well I have tried searching various threads simultaneously on both Google and live (including my own name :grin: ) and they returned with similar results. So this shows there is no marked difference and hence no reason for people to change loyalties.

But there is a catch. As soon as I try to search the term "Internet Browser" you see the difference. Google's top listing is the news about launch of 'Chrome' whereas Live doesn't feature Chrome even on the third search page. IE on the other hand is at the bottom of the Google listing which is full of Mozilla links. Wow! This confirms bayazidahmed's news. And I think even Live is manipulating the searches, not only Google. Click following links to check yourself.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Internet Browser - Google Search
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, fellas,

Don't put :% in the address bar of Chrome. You've been warned. 😉

For details, visit following thread - #-Link-Snipped-#

Bruwahaha
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Google Chrome is still Beta, and firefox, which was release in 2002 is matured and experienced. 😁

frankly, I dont like the idea of a Google browser. They should support/expand Mozilla all the way they can!

And yea, google is pretty sneaky:: info from Wikipedia:

The Mozilla Corporation's relationship with #-Link-Snipped-# has been noted in the media,Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 114Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 115 especially with regard to their paid referral agreement. The release of the anti-Phishing protection in Firefox 2 in particular raised considerable controversy:Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 116 anti-phishing protection enabled by default is based on a list updated by twice-hourly downloads to the user's computer from Google's server.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note Firefoxprivacypolicy 117 The user cannot change the data provider within the GUI,Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 118 and is not informed who the default data provider is. The browser also sends Google's Http Cookie with each update request.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 119 An additional, explicitly opt-in security feature has been added to recent builds by the Mozilla Foundation. This anti-Phishing feature provides live protection by checking each visited Uniform Resource Locator with Google.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 120 Some Internet Privacy advocacy groups have expressed concerns surrounding Google's possible uses of this data, though Firefox's privacy policy states that Google may not use personal information for any purposes other than the anti-phishing protection feature.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note Firefoxprivacypolicy 117
    In 2005, the Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation had a combined revenue of United States Dollar52.9 million, with approximately 95 percent derived from search engine royalties.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note Mf2006Statement 121Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 122 In 2006, the Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation had a combined revenue of US$66.9 million, with approximately 90 percent derived from search engine royalties.Mozilla Firefox Cite Note Mf2006Statement 121Mozilla Firefox Cite Note 123
    Talk about collaboration!!
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    mayurpathak
    Well I have tried searching various threads simultaneously on both Google and live (including my own name :grin: ) and they returned with similar results. So this shows there is no marked difference and hence no reason for people to change loyalties.

But there is a catch. As soon as I try to search the term "Internet Browser" you see the difference. Google's top listing is the news about launch of 'Chrome' whereas Live doesn't feature Chrome even on the third search page. IE on the other hand is at the bottom of the Google listing which is full of Mozilla links. Wow! This confirms bayazidahmed's news. And I think even Live is manipulating the searches, not only Google. Click following links to check yourself.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Internet Browser - Google Search
    In live search IE was on 4th number(below firefox!!!) unlike google search where only chrome and Firefox rule! Very bad!

Let CEans expose the corrupt practices of google and launch a campaign to expose and give bad publicity to google.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ahmed, what do you mean? I used Live and Google search for "Internet Explorer", the first hit was Microsoft's IE for both. If you try searching "IE" in both, Live doesnt list it in the first page, while Google still points to Microsoft.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    IE - Google Search

I think Live has a tendency towards the actual domain names, while Google are geared/biased towards what is "common" and in trend within the keywords of the webpage. Most of us know "IE" as Internet Explorer, but "IE" is also the top level domain name for Irish websites (as listed in the Live search). So whats your take on that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. Google's does no evil 😁

You know what? They are taking control of the web and our lives.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    ash
    ahmed, what do you mean? I used Live and Google search for "Internet Explorer", the first hit was Microsoft's IE for both. If you try searching "IE" in both, Live doesnt list it in the first page, while Google still points to Microsoft.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    IE - Google Search

I think Live has a tendency towards the actual domain names, while Google are geared/biased towards what is "common" and in trend within the keywords of the webpage. Most of us know "IE" as Internet Explorer, but "IE" is also the top level domain name for Irish websites (as listed in the Live search). So whats your take on that?
    😒 IE is the brand name of the browser ash. Although Microsoft made the term Internet Explorer generic. Searching for IE is like searching for Firefox or Chrome or Opera ...
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    ash

#-Link-Snipped-#
    IE - Google Search

Very weird! Searching for 'Internet Browser' in live brings FF at number 3 and IE at number 4 where as on google.co.in 1st comes chrome, followed by FF, Maxthon (the Chinese browser), Opera, Safari. IE comes way below at 9th!
    On google.com the results are almost same as .co.in with a little improvement in IE ranking.

How is it possible? Two people getting completely different results?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    bayazidahmed
    How is it possible? Two people getting completely different results?
    The results are different because you searched 'Internet Browser' where as Ash searched 'Internet Explorer.'
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    mayurpathak
    The results are different because you searched 'Internet Browser' where as Ash searched 'Internet Explorer.'
    Duly noted 😛 Sorry! Actually, my links points to "IE".

Here's my observations:
    1. Don't you think its weird that Live search for "IE" does not give a single reference to Internet Explorer on the first page, instead it lists Irish pages? That what I meant by domain related search and keyword search.

2. And for the "Internet Browser" search on Live, it doesnt show a single web browser program except Slick Browser 2.1. Thats different from Ahmed's observations! No mention of firefox even.
    Results
    • Internet Browser

A web browser is a software application which enables a user to display and interact with text, images, videos, music and other information typically located on a Web page at a website on the World Wide Web or a local area network. Text and images on a Web page can contain hyperlinks to other Web pages at the same or different website.
      • en.wikipedia.org/​wiki/​Internet_​browser
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

Internet Browser Software - Top Internet Browser Software Reviewed, 2008 ... An Internet browser is your window to the web, where you can find almost anything from the comfort of ...
      • internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

Slick Browser 2.1 is a Free Internet Browser ... Slick Internet Browser 2.1 is a simple, easy, quick and free web browser.
      • #-Link-Snipped-#browser.htm
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

1 BlackBerry HTML Web Browsing FAQ; 2 My Web Browser Icon Is Missing! 3 Help! I'm stuck with BlackBerryOS 3.7! 4 What is NOL? What is T-Zones? 5 BlackBerry Internet Browser Is TOO ...
      • blackberryfaq.com/​index.php/​Internet_​Browser_​FAQ
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

iYogi provides configuration of Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape Browsers for Fast Internet Access. Manage Internet Cookies and history troubleshoot and fix slow ...
      • #-Link-Snipped-#internet-browser.html
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • Internet Browser User License Agreement

Internet Browser User License Agreement. Use of the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system's Internet Browser requires wireless LAN access. Wireless LAN access may NOT be available ...
      • manuals.playstation.net/​document/​en/​psp/​current/​network/​browser/​eula.html
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

BlackBerry HTML Web Browsing FAQ The purpose of this FAQ is to help answer web-browsing-related questions for BlackBerry. Many new models of
      • #-Link-Snipped-#internet-browser-faq-html-web-images...
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

Provides information on Internet browser settings required to enable use of library databases. Provides instructions on how to modify browser settings.
      • #-Link-Snipped-#browsersettings.html
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#

Internet Explorer 6 has been updated as part of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 is now available. For more information ...
      • #-Link-Snipped-#...
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
    • Internet & Browser – SUSEGEEK

At SuseGeek find free tutorial,s how to articles, troubleshooting procedures, tips n tricks, free opensource tools for suse and opensuse KDE and GNOME desktop environments and ...
      • #-Link-Snipped-#internet-browser
      • · #-Link-Snipped-#
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    Because I am searching on live.com where as you are using some other domain (maybe .co.in)
  • $iddharth
    $iddharth
    chrome the beta version does not support download accelerators. Also it does not have many of the add ons of firefox per se. Lets see once the main thing is launched we will be in a better position to decide. As of now firefox is my browser.
  • aashima
    aashima
    I tried Chrome, it appeared promising at first but I found myself more comfortable with my old FF.
    Though, as expected from Google, Chrome can definitely be expected to rule in the near future, but for now, the newbie surely faces a good competition in the market. IE8 "according to me" comes after the two.
    Apple Safari too was a good experience just that its way too slow.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, Google products have a proven history of failing in keeping the 'buzz'. There products are launched with much excitement, but the excitement goes down with the time.
  • boopeb
    boopeb
    xheavenlyx
    In the corporate world everyone is trying to beat everyone else. Remember how Netscape was "shot down" at a microsoft's meeting? And what about Intel/AMD and Nvidia and ATI (now both are part of Intel and AMD respectively)? Inumerous examples, its normal.

I dont think Google is trying to "be" microsoft. It is what it is. google has some "unmatched" services that microsoft cannot even touch, where as Microsoft is in itself very VERY important. People use Google products through Microsoft Windows (I am talking aout general population, otherwise even Linux is very important!).

Now the tables can turn ONLY if Google can match an OS of the popularity of MS wiindows. But that seems a bit far, considering Linux (being free) still hasnt cought up with the general poppulation.

Kidikada has put it well 😁 😁

I did try the new Chrome browser, but yea, it does need a bit more polishing (thats why beta). But one thing I noticed is that it uses a LOT LOT LOT less RAM than firefox. Dont know how, if someone can enlighten us on that area, please do!
    IN this it is n=mentioned that linux is free and still it has not been as popular as windows but just see the dependencies on how the microsoft people have brought. The whole thing is mostly put in a way that the windows people get advantages. Since in the working of linux must differ from windows they have put some one step process to a few steps more to get the answer. May be one big advantage is that no virus yet found in linux. and if at all easy to clear. i am not sure of the last line.

thank you

this is my first reply .
    so any mistake or correction please do reply me.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I really did not understand your reply, but I guess you get it.

What I meant with my last reply was that, if Google really wants to compete, it must bring out an OS better than (in a lot of ways), than microsoft's Windows. But that is difficult, much easier said than done.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its most probable Google will take the open source route for their OS, and join the likes of the big three in community driven Linux distros: Canonical (Ubuntu), Novell (openSUSE) and Red Hat (Fedora).

Android is only their first stepping stone 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It seems to me that at some point of time in future, everything will be 'Google'. 😲 . Google has recently launched Video For Business - a service aimed at...
Hello CE guys, i want to develop a project ( most preferably in VB ). Project should be Live Project like Transport system Courier Service and also should not contain...
Its Official ! We have 19,000 Crazy Engineers on CE! 😁 Welcome our 19,000[sup]th[/sup] CEan - chankara 😁 😁😁😁😁
Discuss the announcement One Nine Zero Zero Zero - 19000 Crazy Engineers! in this thread. 😁😁
Hi all, I am facing a problem with my dhcp client. pc1 is not picking ip from dhcp,i restarted it & restored o.s. but problem is same. when connecting other...