General Question about processing cellular phone signals

I have seen phone scanners on the web, I am not interested in that, but it does fall around what I am interested in.

I am sure it's possible to listen on 900 MHz and grab the cell phones transmitting their signals. Now each cell phone carrier operates in a range of frequencies and the phones transmit on those frequencies. The tower gets the signal and demodulates the signal.

The question is this, when the signal is demodulated there must be some way to distinguish each individual cell phone, well otherwise it would be chaos. I believe the it something to do with the ESN or sim card. So I imagine the unique id of each phone is transmitted in the signal and not encrypted or encoded or anything like that. Is this true?

thanks,
kevin

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm, consider CDMA for examaple.
    Each user is assigned a ' code' in sense , the tx applies the code while sending the signal and the reciver is supposed to apply the same code. That is the reason why CDMA phones cant accommodate any other technology, there hardware doesnot allow them

if you consider GSM, again the signal is sent in a specific time signal for a definite frequency, so the receiver again is aware to whom the signal needs to be sent back to

does this help?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What would you say to your boss if he is crazy about an idea,but you think it stinks?? How to explain him??
Try this human clock. Its amazing. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Click on the clock to see new look also.๐Ÿ˜
dear frndzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im new 2 dis websi8 can any of u suggest me a nice topic 4 ppt ๐Ÿ˜’โ€‹
Internet speed is a 'real issue' in many parts of the world. I wish to know what would all our CEans do if they got 10 mbps actual download speed....
For you:Which is the best, artificial or natural contraceptives? Why?