GATE Or Job? Help me decide

Dear Sir,

I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
Please suggest me.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dear #-Link-Snipped-# , welcome to CrazyEngineers. Since your question is more oriented towards career, I've moved it to Career Advice section of CrazyEngineers.

Instead of talking about ways; let's talk about the purpose. Your reasoning to opt for GATE (and PG course) isn't strong enough. If you think 'something is missing'; your first goal should be to find out what is it that's missing - and whether GATE is 'the way' to fill the void. Trust me, if you don't have a very strong reason and belief that GATE is what you should do to achieve your ultimate goal - preparing for GATE is going to be VERY VERY HARD!

It's possible to crack GATE even if you are an average student and are working. If the preparation looks like 'hard work' to you, you shouldn't take the exam. But if you actually 'enjoy' preparing for GATE, cracking GATE will be a cakewalk.

I hope you're getting the point I'm trying to make. There can't be a generic answer to 'is it possible to crack GATE while doing job'. It totally depends upon you strongly determined you are and what you totally believe in. Once that is clear, all the answers to your questions will come naturally and automatically.
  • Shihabudheen K
    Shihabudheen K
    Go GATE COACHING, so that you can get score n also good college for doing Masters .
    You can't concentrate on your gate studies while you are doing a job.
  • sashank 11
    sashank 11
    Hi sir, I really need your advice .

When I was in 3-2 I've started going to ACE (because my dream is getting into an IIT)

and now I'm studying 4th year B.Tech(ECE) and I got an offer letter from India's most reputed IT company I really worked hard to get placed in that company(almost spent 3 months) i was very happy for a while after getting an offer letter from them but one thing that always creates inconvenience in mind is that because of preparing for that placements i was unable to concentrate on GATE (stopped preparing some subjects)

and as of now I'm just confident in Signals,DLD,Network Theory. I'm just having 1 month of time and i've to complete studying MATHS, EMTL,CONTROL SYSTEMS (which i can't because of a project i'm dong for ISRO on UAV"S)

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW????
    > GO FOR THE JOB AND START PREPARING FOR GATE ALONG With my job
    > LEAVE THE JOB AND AGAIN START PREPARING FOR GATE (BUT package is very attractive)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - It appears to me that you are not very clear about your ultimate goal. Why do you want to appear for GATE? It it just because you dream of getting the IITan tag for yourself?

Once you decide on your ultimate goal - things will be clearer to you.

As of now, I'd strongly recommend that you should join the job and prepare yourself mentally and physically to work very hard to crack the next GATE exam. If you do well, you can then decide whether to go for it or continue with your job.

If the IIT dream isn't something that makes you sleepless; I'd recommend focusing on your job and put all the effort in being an awesome employee. You'd achieve more success in your life in shorter period of time.

But - deciding on your ultimate goal is the most important thing you should do first.
  • sashank 11
    sashank 11
    #-Link-Snipped-# - thank you very much sir 😀
  • RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,

I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.
  • RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    In life one does not get everything .Based on situation one has to lead the Life.I would advice don't leave the job .Try distance/weekend education
  • Sameer259
    Sameer259
    I'm in puzzle plz guide me..
    Ok.. let's start it from my education background sequence:-
    Highschool+diploma in electrical engineering(3yr)+2year gap for govt.competitive exam for diploma level (but not success)+B.tech in elect.engg.(lateral entry, recently its my last sem).
    As i done diploma instead of intermediate, my technical knowledge is good but mathematical practice & analysis is very poor as i not practiced math and again due to lateral entry in b.tech i also not practiced first year maths(M1&M2) that's why mathematical portion is my weakness.
    Now my confusion is that what i should be do GATE or pvt. Job?
    If i choose gate coaching i fear about mathematical calculations as there is already hard competition in gate & IITians competing there. But if i choose pvt. Job, i think about my future and my mind saying me that i am giving up or fearing from faces problems. Plz suggest me what do & how do ??
    (Sorry for grammar mistakes)
  • Sameer259
    Sameer259
    Sameer259
    Highschool+diploma in electrical engineering(3yr)+2year gap for govt.competitive exam for diploma level (but not success)+B.tech in elect.engg.(lateral entry, recently its my last sem).
    As i done diploma instead of intermediate, my technical knowledge is good but mathematical practice & analysis is very poor as i not practiced math and again due to lateral entry in b.tech i also not practiced first year maths(M1&M2) that's why mathematical portion is my weakness.
    If i choose gate coaching i fear about mathematical calculations as there is already hard competition in gate & IITians competing there. But if i choose pvt. Job, i think about my future and my mind saying me that i am giving up or fearing from faces problems. Plz suggest me what do & how do ??
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir please give answer for my question
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The simplest way to find that out is to take mock GATE tests and check your score. If you believe that with proper studies you can crack GATE and get into a good college; go for it.

In any case, getting a job to support yourself financially won't hurt. You're going to need to work hard. I'd rather opt for a private job and work hard there. It'd be foolish to compete in an over-saturated competition when we're not sure of winning. My suggestion would be to join the job and keep improving your skills. Once you gain some experience, you can always switch to a better job.
  • Sameer259
    Sameer259
    Sameer259
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir please give answer for my question
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The simplest way to find that out is to take mock GATE tests and check your score. If you believe that with proper studies you can crack GATE and get into a good college; go for it.

In any case, getting a job to support yourself financially won't hurt. You're going to need to work hard. I'd rather opt for a private job and work hard there. It'd be foolish to compete in an over-saturated competition when we're not sure of winning. My suggestion would be to join the job and keep improving your skills. Once you gain some experience, you can always switch to a better job.
    Thnku so much sir for your reply

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would like to introduce myself as Software Engineer willing to go one step beyond coding. Hope to explore a lot
Link to schedule : https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-north-america/program/schedule ​ You're interested in which topic talks ? Share! Discuss!
Whenever we head outside our houses most of us carry our phones, wallets or bags and keys. The next time though you can forget about your keys as the new...
HI As a part of my thesis i want to gain detailed knowledge on RC box girder bridges, from historic point of view to complete design process both in simulation...
hi guys, i'm an undergraduate student of mechanical engineering and i have interest in military technology,weapon developement and armament technology but i don't have any knowledge in these fields whatsoever....