fundamental unit of digital electronics

Hello Friends,

I came across many interview questions and one question was really tricky.

What is the fundamental unit of digital electronics? Is it binary numbers or the logic gates or the transistor.

I got different answers from different people. Your take on this...

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure what exactly is being referred to as 'unit'. Binary numbers is basically a numerical representation of your positive (1) and neutral (0) charges. So I'd go with the answer as 'electrons' as the fundamental unit of digital electronics.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    by unit I mean to say the fundamental quantity that we focus upon throughout that course.

For example, unit of mechanics is mass whose property we study in the entire course; velocity being the unit of dynamics.

I am asking under those contexts.
    Actually I mean to refer to the physical quantity that we focus upon throughout the course the course of digital electronics
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    but what if we think this way,if we consider a large device,we create it using smaller blocks or materials,if we give an input to it,we get an output right!!!
    similarly when we compare digital electronics with the above eg.,the binary codes are the input given and logic circuits\gates are the building blocks.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    proffy
    by unit I mean to say the fundamental quantity that we focus upon throughout that course.
    A bit ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    by unit I mean to say the fundamental quantity
    that we focus upon throughout that course.

then you can say it is transistors as in every digital circuitry in core there will be transistor only.
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    digital electronics are those electronics systems that use a digital signal instead of analog signal.....
    so the fundamental unit of digital electronics is LOGIC GATE..............
    if it is just the fundamental unit of electronics then it is TRANSISITOR.......since a logic gate is again made of transistors.....but since it is DIGITAL electronics the answer is logic gate.......
  • kiransabarish
    kiransabarish
    What i think is whether its analog electronics of digital electronics. They are electronics. The fundamental basic unit of electronics is diode.
    If you consider digital we go for a logic gates for performing all functions even then this logic gates is again made of transistors which is again made of DIODES. So i think diodes are the base for all electronics including Digital electronics.
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    i think fundamental unit of digital electronics is logic gate as vacuum tubes can also be used in place of a transistor and their will be no meaning of 0's or 1's if logic gates do not exist in a digital circuit.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, mates! I hope you find this article interesting: https://www.gostructural.com/magazin..._s_tallest_building__the_burj_dubai-7709.html
Hai.... Friends My name is pydi reddy,all u can call me as spidy that how my friends calls me i am currently pursuing b.tech 4th year friends i hope all...
Motorola definitely has done some tweaks to the ICS skin, there are four shortcuts to the lock screen, while the updated camera app will let users take photographs while shooting...
I am studying in 3rd year of Electronics & Telcommunication engineering. I want to begin my preparation for GATE. Which books should I begin with ?
Name- ujjawal kumar Engineering trade- computer science location - chennai,india occupation- student Hobbies & interset- read the book,play with computer,solve the puzzle. aim in life- to become one best engineer...