Function of gears in a vehicle?

I'm studying automobiles and have a very basic question - What is the function of 'gear' in a vehicle?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Muhibullah
    function of 'gear' of a vehicle
    It's too difficult to guess what kind of responses you're expecting; but we can always begin with the very basics of the gears. The gears basically transfer the power from the engine to the wheels. I bet you already know that, right? Is there anything very specific you wish to know about the gears? Please ask.
  • Muhibullah
    Muhibullah
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    Muhibullah
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Gears alone doesn't transfer power to the wheels. The various components are connected in series to transfer the power.

Here is the series:
    Piston--> piston rod--> crankshaft--> crank--> flywheel--> clutch--> gear box--> differential

Differential controls the axle that connects the wheels.
  • mechky
    mechky
    Muhibullah
    what is the function of 'gear' in a vehicle?
    The term 'gear' used in relation to automobiles basically refers to the transmission of a vehicle. Transmission is nothing but assembly of gears. Transmission is a type of gearbox that can be "shifted" to dynamically change the speed-torque ratio. So, the transmission basically receives torque from the engine at one end (through clutch mechanism), modifies torque, and transfers this torque to the drive shaft of the automobile which drives the wheels through a differential mechanism. When you 'shift' the gear you basically mesh two gears with different number of teeth.

When you start the car, you always start in 'first gear'. This first gear gives maximum torque and lowest speed. So after attaining speed you shift to second gear which gives more speed than first gear but less torque. The same follows for subsequent gears.

The images below will help you visualize -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    the most fundamental and basic purpose of gear is hidden in its shape.
    .......a circular one with gradual ups and downs on circumference.....
    so by staying at one position, transmission of energy from one place to another, makes gear a very unique thing.
    there is one more thing that this all happens without any discontinuity. i mean that as it is transferring energy to other components then due to its particular shape it never loses contact. so input and output procedures take place at same time.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    there are gears in the steering gear box as well as the starter motor, and the engine flywheel.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    its same as gears in cycle but at different location
    [​IMG]

Now you can answers yourself:
    1.What will be effect on speed when you shift chain from small disk to big disk.
    2.What will happen, when you about to start cycling and chain is on whether small disk or biggest disk.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An interesting application of gears in a jumping insect:
    An insect with functional gears on hind legs
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    As said by many CEans, Gears hold the main function of transmitting power. It can step up(overdrive) or step down power(low gears) in gearbox.Gear ratios help in determining the job. There are many type of gears which have their unique function.Also used in changing direction of power(vertical motion to horizontal and vice versa).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends I am working on a mobile application that will be compatible on all the major mobile platforms Such as Iphone, Black berry , Android I am using phone...
hey guys can you give me the names of some cheap and easily available ARM7 processors. my project does not require ARM but iam forced to use it. so just...
i have to install windows 7 with usb for my 32 bit system...so for this i have to make iso image file....i have power iso 047 ....so how can make...
ramp up function is preferred to start pumps over quick start. i have read that this is to avoid the danger of water hammer. exactly how does this cause water...
i need idea for teleCommunication Latest Project for Final Year Students 2012