Foundations discussions

history:

buildings were once constructed on cellars. there was no such thing as piles or raft foundations then. but these cellars were not intended to be living spaces. they were used to store coal and other stuff. no one bothered to build it so that it would remain dry. it was ok for the cellars to be damp. but that is not the case with our foundations. the cellars were easy to construct and were built using materials like rubbles, brick, stones,etc.

though these days basements are being built in many places care is taken to see that no water percolated into the building. this was done in the method shown in diagram.
[​IMG]

the basement is also insulated sometimes to make the place inhabitable. it may be insulated in the interior alone or exterior alone or in the middle or on both sides.

[​IMG]

this is as far as the basement method of foundations is concerned.

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    now that we've seen the primitive foundation which is basements now let us see what are the types of foundations.

types of foundations:

1. shallow foundations
    isolated column footing ( square, rectangle, circular)
    continuous wall footing
    strip footing
    combined footing
    mat/raft footing

2. deep foundations
    piles ( concrete, steel, timber, composite piles)
    sheet piles
    diaphragm walls
    caissons
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What is a pile foundation??? what's the purpose of having this type of foundation in building???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    pile foundations are deep foundations provided to depths around 30m and more.
    It is used where the good soil (harder strata) is at higher depth (10 or 15 m) or soil having low bearing capacity and low shear strength. Pile is also used for tall structures. In pile foundation load coming from the super structure is taken by pile cap and equally distributed in no. of piles. PIle transfers this load in to the soil. Major load from super structure is resisted by friction between pile and soil.

[​IMG]
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    In building Burj, did they use pile foundation???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah they used. 😀

almost all high rise these days make use of piles for effective load transfer. 😀
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    check out the chief structural engineer of burj-william f baker's interview in CE 😁
    #-Link-Snipped-#

he says "Foundations for the Burj Dubai were fairly conventional. Because of the way the tower spreads as it nears the base, the load is spread over a larger area. So, in the end, the foundations are not that much different than they are in a much smaller building. Essentially, it has 194-1.5m diameter piles, each of which is rated at 3,000 tonnes, and supports a 3.7 meter thick concrete mat, or as the British would say, raft."
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What type of foundation is used in order to resist earthquake???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    normally piles are like columns only that they are beneath the ground surface. the load is transferred in two ways.
    1. by friction between the surface area of piles and the soil.
    2. by direct load transfer to the harder strata underneath.

so this piles are to be connected as a group this is done by the use of a raft or a mat. this is nothing but a layer of concrete (reinforced) over the graded soil. this raft will get connected with the pile caps of the piles. the pile caps are just a cover sort of thing at the top of the pile. so this is the basic working of a pile foundation.

[​IMG]
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    maria flor
    that i don't think there is any particular foundation for that. depends on soil i guess..

anybody else got answer to that ?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    How would engineers be able to know if there is hard underneath strata???by soil testing???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah i guess the soil information report (SIR) would give those details 😀
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What is a driven pile foundation??? Is this another type of pile foundation???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    driven piles are nothing but the precast piles. they're fabricated on the ground and then driven into the ground with the use of drop hammers fitted to a frame. the drop of the hammer is larger than the pile depth.

the other type of pile is cast insitu. it is made by boring a deep hole to the required depth and then placing the reinforcement cage and then concreting.

these are the basic two types.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    types of piles:-

based on the method of load transfer:-
    1. friction piles
    2. end bearing piles
    3. combination of fixed and end bearing piles.

[​IMG]

based on function:-
    1. batter piles
    2. anchor piles
    3. dolphin piles
    4. fender piles
    5. sheet piles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

based on materials used:-

1. concrete piles
    2. steel piles
    3. timber piles
    4. composite piles

based on method of installation:-

1. cast insitu (bored or augured)
    2. driven piles (hammered)
    3. screw piles

this is all the types of piles that i can remember. i'll update if i remember any more. others too add if i've left any. 😀

-CP
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Base isolation technique is adopted to prevent the building during earthquake. In this method series of bearing pads made of lead and rubber is fixed between foundation and building.
    Of late Earthquake Resistant Foundation system is used in which the horizontal movement and vertical acceleration is minimized when prefabricated neoprene padding is bolted to the sill-pad foundation. As a result, the building remains stationary while nature takes its course, and the earth expends its energy underneath.
  • Anant Jalgaonkar
    Anant Jalgaonkar
    maria flor
    Well one cannot specify any type of foundation in case of earthquake(EQ), foundations are designed for seismic forces!! Generally when soil is poor Piles usually performs well in a seismic case.
  • gopaldeshpande
    gopaldeshpande
    what are the types of tests for piles?
  • Kavi Desai
    Kavi Desai
    The isolated footing is one of the most popular and simplest types of foundation used worldwide. Foundations are very important to the building. Ultimately the entire load of the building is transferred to ground through the foundation.
    Isolated footings are most commonly used footings for Reinforced cement concrete column because it is simple and most economical. An isolated footing is used to support a single column.
    This type of footing is used when
    • Columns are not closely spaced.
    • Loads on footings are less.
    • The Safe bearing capacity of the soil is generally high.
    For more details, you can refer the article: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I have got this assignment from one of my friend who studies in kingston university. This relates with the subject of automatic control. That friend has given me this...
i had recently been to the IITM tech fest called CEA Fest'11. there were many events but the thing i thought worth covering for CE was their project on display....
If we don't use electronic fuel injection system what can we use alternately, if not efficiently? (Please name that system, give a small but relevant description and if possible start...
I m doing project on Active queue management for tht purpose i m doing simulation through OMNET++ So can any1 help me???
What is the probability that a four-digit number formed by using 3, 9, 2 and 7 without repetition is divisible by 33?