Flipkart's loss doubled & revenues grew 5x in 2012-2013

Flipkart is surely an interesting company. According a report in LiveMint, Flipkart's revenues in the last financial year (that ended on March 31, 2013) grew 5x to about Rs. 1366 crores. The company however continues to make losses - the losses almost doubled as compared to previous year and in 2012-2013 the company reported a total loss of about Rs. 281.7 crore.

I wonder if Flipkart's is on its way to 'doom'. The company seems to be finding it very difficult to keep up with its own growth. The company definitely is trying to make sure that they have a more sustainable business model - and changed from being an online retailer to a marketplace where resale partners could list their own offerings.

Do you think Flipkart's downfall has started OR it's just too early to comment on anything? More specifically - do you think Flipkart will emerge as an independent entity (like Amazon) and not get acquired by some big fish (Amazon, maybe).

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I agree with one thing, they sure are an interesting company! Their loss is increasing, people are leaving the company(a little birdy told me!), but there is no lack of investment. I initially thought they would be stabilized by now, but looking at 281.7 crore of loss, it doesn't seem to be happening in near future. Anyways, Amzon has of-course hurt their market, but I guess it shouldn't concern them much. They have a lot of investment, and I think with time they are going to find a balance. Predicting anything else would be too early!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its hard to beleive that flipkart is experiencing huge loss like this and I still think Flipkart can get up from the fall.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Flipkart is definitely too big to fail but it can work on cutting down its losses. For example, its own courier network, a huge chuck of its expenses goes towards that. Plus, Amazon is still continuing to provide free shipping on ‘Fulfilled by Amazon’ products and Flipkart is charging money for shipping items less than 500. They can decrease it to 300. Also their website, it used to be simple and easy to browse but now they have copied Amazon’s principle of showing suggested buying on the home page. Yes the new categories like clothing are good but there are established stores like Myntra who have an upper hand. Flipkart’s competition is increasing in leaps and bounds it has to think of something radical to get back on the top.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Without doing any strategic changes flip cart is surely movig towards a doom. If they are lucky enough company like Amazon may try their luck in acquiring them (As they are already expanding their wings in India). If Amazon has something of that sort in their belly it's good for Flipcart or they are all set to sun-set.

-CB
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Flipkart has shown immense growth the past & is continue to do so. Its true that the loss has been doubled. but do check its revenue, It has grown 5x. that shows the company's performance.
    Its too early to come up with any decision .
    I Do accept that with the entry of Amazon the market has affected but FK is still the most demanding online store in India.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I recently made purchases on Jabong and Flipkart. Jabong delivered stuff within less than 30 hours while Flipkart took about 4 days.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    If losses are caused by depreciating assets, they are on high growth track. If not, they are doomed. That's all one can infer without looking at P&L statement.
  • Kaushal Kishore
    Kaushal Kishore
    Kaustubh, I agree with others, its too early to decide that esp. if we consider their latest funding.
    + You should not compare strategy/rise or doom of any company based on the shipment of 1 order, there can be "n" number of reasons behind that. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Contrary to common belief popcorn is not junk food. It is made from whole corn and has all the nutrients in the seed. Generally (at least in India) it is...
This video shows some breathtaking views from a Boeing 747 cockpit.
Crazyness has no limits when it comes to engineering. Here is a fully functional car built entirely from LEGO blocks! Wonders will never cease. https://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/18/fullsize-functional-lego-car-video/
Pebble have announced that the official app store for the Pebble Smartwatch will go live along with the new SDK in early 2014. Up until now Pebble smartwatch owners had...
This question may look bad but I want to know the reason behind it.I tried to connect the net using teathering and when i use the 2G network and open...