Fastest Data Transfer Rate by NASA

NASA has achieved data transfer rates of over 100 Mbps. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter sends about 460 GBs of data everyday back to earth covering over 200000 miles!! And guess what, it uses vacuum tube based technology to amplify the microwaves!!

Imagine browsing your favorite website at 100 Mbps!! I would kill to have such super-duper high speed broadband!! I guess, wouldn't we all!! ๐Ÿ˜

Read the complete story :

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    Yes, save much effort in optimization ๐Ÿ˜
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wonderful..

The link provided has few more links in which it stated Japan introducing broadband at 1GBPS ... Awesome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What would you and I do with 1 GBPS?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    With more bandwidth, I suppose everyone will stream more free unlicensed media and download Linux torrents right? *cough*

I'm glad they managed to pull this off, since bandwidth and power is such a premium at that distance. However, as good as it is for deep space comm, its still not as cost effective or efficient for home residential use.. unless you are prepared to place a Ku band receiver on your roof and vapourize everything within the area of radiation pattern ๐Ÿ˜›

Do you guys remember the good old 28.8kbps modem days?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Frankly, that huge amounts of bandwidth are not required for the regular internet user.

Anyhow, most of the bandwidth is going to be idle most of the time unless you stream videos or download torrents or play games all the time.

For applications like video conferencing etc. for corporates, we can have such a bandwidth as that can be justified. But fr home use, I'd say this is just an extravaganza!!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    It would be an extravagance for a home user, I agree.

So, I think I'll settle for a fourth of that speed!! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just wait for LTE technology to come around ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    My broadband connection sometimes emulates those speeds.

By the way -

640K ought to be enough for anybody.โ€ -Bill Gates (1981)

I bet our next generations will use these posts on CE Forums as evidence - ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    We may not need such high speeds right now, but think about 15-20 years down the line, we might have operating systems that function entirely off the internet (a la Google's Chrome OS). We might have homes that you can monitor and control through the internet. And many more such technologies that will either run off the internet or depend on it.

We will need speeds that can sustain such high-bandwidth demanding applications!!

@ash: is LTE, 4G (or something similar)??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Uh oh - well, CrazyEngineers might have launched its own OS by then. Who knows!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ ms
    Yeap, its a 4G wireless technology.

I really do not like to advocate the use of high bandwidth unless its really necessary, such as for video conferencing. I don't like the way Google is trying to get everything into a cloud computing environment. Sure, we might not need a high power end device to use services like that, but that only places more stress and power requirements on the host computers. Think about each search term you Google for... you might think that the only "resource" is the bytes being transferred. What about the power needed to access the search database?

I'm thinking the popularity of decentralized and centralized computing will seesaw between each other according to resource availability and demand. If one treats bandwidth like a resource, that would probably help curb unnecessary usage.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    ash
    Just wait for LTE technology to come around ๐Ÿ˜€
    My friend is preparing his Masters in LTE, I'm helping him in its software simulation, LTE is GREAT!
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    ash
    I much remember the transition from 28.8 to 56kbps, super speed I downloaded all the Internet ๐Ÿ˜, I remember also a little earthquake happened while I was downloading.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    how did they achieve that high data rate?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I'm currently starting the process of applying to graduate school and my head is swimming with all the possibilities. My undergrad background is in physics, so no matter what...
hi,i complete my java program ๐Ÿ˜”no error for compiling section๐Ÿ˜”but applet window was started there are no image result๐Ÿ˜” /*
๐Ÿ˜’Please suggest me some project under title "variable frequency drives at higher frequency"
hai i have complete my multi threading java program .compiling section 2 errors class ThreadA extends Thread { public void run() { try { for(int i=0; i< 5; i++) {...
I've been wondering whether I need to install a desktop mail client to manage all my email. To tell you frankly, I'm thinking I should stick to all web-mail instead...