wind power: which fields to study/research

Hi,
I'm currently starting the process of applying to graduate school and my head is swimming with all the possibilities. My undergrad background is in physics, so no matter what I'll have to take some pre-graduate level engineering courses to "catch up".

I am most interested in renewable energy, particularly wind power and appropriate technologies.

I am not sure whether I should be looking at civil programs or mechanical programs, and once I choose a particular program, which sort of research should I be looking for within the program?

I would appreciate any sort of input on the matters

Replies

• macnamania
    macnamania
    Hi,
    I'm currently starting the process of applying to graduate school and my head is swimming with all the possibilities. My undergrad background is in physics, so no matter what I'll have to take some pre-graduate level engineering courses to "catch up".

I am most interested in renewable energy, particularly wind power and appropriate technologies.

I am not sure whether I should be looking at civil programs or mechanical programs, (or maybe environmental?) and once I choose a particular program, which sort of research should I be looking for within the program?

I would appreciate any sort of input on the matters
  • macnamania
    macnamania
    shoot, network timed out so I reposted, and now there are two of these posts.
    oops,
    sorry for the repost
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No worries. Threads merged 😀
  • SAHIL SHARMA
    SAHIL SHARMA
    Work out on making wind mill,consult wiki......
  • gohm
    gohm
    For designing alternate energy generation sources, it requires several fields of engineering. Decide which field interests you the most & that you have talent for. Focus on green technology.
  • macnamania
    macnamania
    hmm, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my question.

For those of you working in the wind power sector, which fields of engineering did you study? which types of engineering did your peers study? and what were the foci within those fields?

"green technology" isn't really a research focus in those words, I'm looking for a translation into cut and dry engineering terms that are used among the professors like "fluid dynamics", "turbulance modelling" "robotics"
  • sindhu sati
    sindhu sati
    [FONT="]VAWTs (#-Link-Snipped-#) are both efficient and quiet, making them more suitable for energy production in residential areas than previous wind-based renewable energy technologies. Many current VAWT models resemble eggbeaters, with two blades attached to a central shaft, which is in turn anchored in a power generator. Others have a number of large, flat blades protruding from the central axis; and still others have a helix of extremely light plastic surrounding the axis. They typically stand between two and five feet in height and the best ones are able to attain 30 – 60% efficiency, depending on where they are located.

[/FONT] [FONT="]#-Link-Snipped-# have rotors which face either upwind or downwind of the tower. Most horizontal axis wind turbines are upwind wind turbines. Designed with an inflexible rotor set far away from the tower, these turbines take advantage of the full brunt force of the wind. Unfortunately, this puts more pressure on the tower and support mechanisms must be constructed so that damage is not incurred. Conversely, downwind wind turbines follow the wind passively, allowing the rotor and blades to be more flexible, which relieves pressure on the tower. Unfortunately, the rotor passing through the wind shade of the tower causes noticeable variations in wind power. For these reasons, of the two, upwind wind turbines are generally viewed as more efficient.

[/FONT]
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    All the best mate...
  • mulwa
    mulwa
    I think your most appropriate field is mechanical engineering.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi,i complete my java program 😔no error for compiling section😔but applet window was started there are no image result😔 /*
😒Please suggest me some project under title "variable frequency drives at higher frequency"
hai i have complete my multi threading java program .compiling section 2 errors class ThreadA extends Thread { public void run() { try { for(int i=0; i< 5; i++) {...
I've been wondering whether I need to install a desktop mail client to manage all my email. To tell you frankly, I'm thinking I should stick to all web-mail instead...
hey frnz. m in final year of electrical engineering, nd i need to submit my major project as soon possible. so plz, if any1 among u hav any idea, plz...