Engineers can't sell

Hi Folks,

I hope you will excuse the provocative subject line!

Years ago I was a basic mechanical engineer and I knew absolutely nothing about sales. Fast forward hrummph years and I now teach the subject to engineers, techies and scientists of all flavours - see #-Link-Snipped-#

So if there is anyone here who has a question about how to find new business or close more enquiries, I will be happy to have a stab at answering it.

Robert

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Robert,

Good to see ya in CE . Did Not go through the book inthe link, but the reviews do surely say its a good book ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, Robert. Could you tell us a bit more about your book? Here's my question to you -

What are your tips/suggestions on selling advertising space on CrazyEngineers forum? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • RobertSeviour
    RobertSeviour
    =Could you tell us a bit more about your book? Here's my question to you -

What are your tips/suggestions on selling advertising space on CrazyEngineers forum? ๐Ÿ˜€
    The Seviour Books manual is a condensation of my experiences in technical sales. In the beginning I was completely 'sales-averse', meaning that I thought that engineering was cool and sales stank. Amazingly I discovered that sales is not like that at all and I slowly went through a transition where I discovered the value, both business-wise and in personal development, of learning sales skills. I challenge anyone to read the book and not learn many ideas that do the same for them.

I'd like to see universities teaching much of the contents to engineering students. I was lucky that serendipity brought me into contact with the ideas I relate; many engineers never have that chance and are IMHO the poorer for it.

Tips for selling advertising space: The #1 fundamental rule of sales - no one can buy from you if they don't know you exist, so tell all potential users. You always get some sales from doing that. Some are immediate, others don't occur until the time is right (for the buyer); some prospects will never buy, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Active prospection is better by an order of magnitude than any passive method. (Chinese proverb - Man wait long time by open window before roast duck fly in to mouth). So brainstorm all locations and methods by which you can inform potential advertisers what you can offer and then tell them. It's simple but paradoxically difficult - we invent endless excuses for ourselves to avoid doing the above. What's remarkable is that when the procrastination finally finishes, the task isn't unpleasant. As Nike puts it - 'Just do it'.

Robert
  • gohm
    gohm
    I think they do know about sales just are not familiar to apply correctly. Every engineer sells more than they know. You sell yourself to a company during the interview process, you sell your ideas and projects to management, you sell to coworkers to work together,etc.
  • pracas
    pracas
    lol! gohm, thats what you think. But i think its the companies that sell their jobs as the prized possession to engineers. Make you feel happy about projects by making you come out with what they want you to say(its a management gimmick to make you speak what they want! )
  • RobertSeviour
    RobertSeviour
    gohm
    . . Every engineer sells more than they know.
    The problem is that if you aren't consciously aware of what you are 'selling' then you don't realise when your message is not a good one. One of the key elements of good selling is to hear what clients are most interested in and focus your reply principally around that. Engineers are often poor listeners and don't do this very well.
  • callyD
    callyD
    This is an interesting area for me since I am an engineer who has been thrust into a sales position. I would like to understand these things better.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys. I need some help with the following. I need to know how to generate a 1ms long burst of 120Khz square wave signal using the pic16f877 and the...
One of the most happening CEans here on CE celebrates his 23[sup]rd[/sup] birthday today. He is, CEan - Godfather! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜HaPpy Birthday, Godfather ๐Ÿ˜ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ May your dreams come true...
PS. This is a mail I received today ๐Ÿ˜€ Its really funny ๐Ÿ˜€ New Delhi. In what could prove to be a major marketing and legal embarrassment for Hindustan Unilever...
In its four-decade history, the Internet is set to undergo a biggest change with the expected approval this week that the international domain names or addresses can be written in...
The internet, the greatest aid to productivity in history, turns 40 this week. On October 29, (1969)๐Ÿ˜›