Email Abuse- How To Get Rid Of Spam?

I have received the following mail in my spam section. I am fed up with these people. Some times they say that I have won a prize. Now they have sent this message. It appears as it is genuine so that any person can fall prey to their tactics.

What can I do so that I do not receive such mails? Are their any cyber laws so that I can report it to authorities?

Dear Email User,
Due to concerns for safety of our customers. We have issued this warning.
We have detected that your e-mail account needs to be activated, as we upgrade our SSL
database and to increase storage space to 2GB.

:
Click Here to Verify Your E-mail Account

Please do this so that your email account can be activated and protected from being closed.
Note: Failure to activate email account, may lead to deactivation of your email account.
Apologies for any inconvenience.
Thanks,
Account Department

We appreciate your time and assistance!If You Receive This Message in Your Junk or Spam kindly redirect it to your inbox to enable you redirect the letter and avoid suspension

Sincerely

© 2012 Email Support. .

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gmail is pretty robust in catching and filtering spam. If you aren't using Gmail, you should switch over to it. The frequency of such emails will go down almost to zero. One effective way of removing spam from mailbox is NOT to share your email ID publicly - from where it can be picked up from bots. That's a sureshot way of generating lot of spam in your account.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Are you sure the email you got is spam? It seems so legal 😲 and valid.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    English-Scared
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Are you sure the email you got is spam? It seems so legal 😲 and valid.
    Nope, it looks like a phishing attempt to me. The link would direct the user to a 'clone' of the mail service which will ask the user to enter their correct username and password. Once the user 'submits' it, it will display a message that your password has now been accepted and the spammers/hackers will have full access detail of the email user.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    I agree with Biggie,👍 as if the email would have been actually sent by Email Support, it would not have ended in Spam folder, Also the greeting made points to a "spam mail", as ur Email support calls u either by user username, (or atleast use their name) and not the vague words as "Dear Email User".
    Also if u want to find the actual sender, u can check the header of the email to find the actual sender.
    The following link will tell u the procedure of finding actual source :#-Link-Snipped-#
    Good Luck!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    English-Scared
    Yes It is a spam. If it were from Google, it would have landed in my inbox, not in spam. For a second, I also thought of it as genuine. But then realized it was fake.

I thank #-Link-Snipped-# otherwise, I would have clicked on the link.

#-Link-Snipped-# : How do I make sure that I do not receive such mails? Or is it really that I have to depend on gmail? I have already stopped sharing apps on FB and other sites a long time ago which require our personal info. Although I cannot deny, I used to share my email details publicly for the first year when I signed up for gmail. Is there any turning back?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you've already shared your email publicly, I don't thing there's any way to stop it now. The best way to deal with the situation is to get a professional looking email ID from Gmail (I think you already have one from CE) and share it only with people you'd like to hear from.

Gmail is by far the best in dealing with spam. You could even check the Outlook.com service. If I were to start a new email account - I'd probably go with outlook.com. I'm however going to stick with my CE account for life 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My name is javed ahamad and I am student of Bsc. with chemistry -final years from ssjs namdhari college, garhwa jharkhand
Videocon is one Indian brand that most of the Indians are proud of. The company is venturing into 4G LTE services and products in the coming year. In the recent...
Typing on touchscreens could be really painful if you're used to the physical keyboards. Bu there are several solutions available in the market to address that problem. Swiftkey Flow is...
Hello seniors, I have a situation here. I was placed in Wipro & Infosys during the campus placements drive in my college. I was prepared to join Infosys, but they...
Hi... I needed some help with my OS project.. The topic is IMPLEMENTATION OF HASHED AND INVERTED PAGE TABLES USING C.. Basically I need to have a process with a...