View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12915 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
abdat60
abdat60 • Feb 10, 2016

Electromagnet Switch Timer

Hello World,

Im trying to design a clamp on a hinge that will clamp shut with two (or one) electromagnets attracting for a set interval of time. I would like the option to raise and lower the time interval with a dial (2 to 10 seconds). When the interval of time has passed I want an opposite current to flow over the electromagnets to make them repel from each other for 1 to 2 seconds and a mechanical device will hold the lever in place away from the base.

I read that a MOSFET can be used to direct the current, any suggestions?

1. In the open position the magnets are too far away for the magnets (of a reasonable size) to work. It maybe simpler to use a spring on the hinge to do the opening at the end of the set time.
abdat60
abdat60 • Feb 10, 2016
I want to manually press them down and just have the magnets hold them in place. the clamp is 15" long.
abdat60
I want to manually press them down and just have the magnets hold them in place. the clamp is 15" long.
Then there is no issue. You should still consider a spring release at the end of hold down time. Simplifies the circuit.
abdat60
abdat60 • Feb 10, 2016
Ahhhhh, good idea. Simpler is better.

Share this content on your social channels -