Echo, Eternal Thinker here :)

Hello folks!

We have a CEan who is - an Illustrator, an Eternal thinker, a Blogger, a Webcomic author, a Web designer. He also makes fun with bicycling alone and free on wide open roads. Guessing his name? Yay, He is #-Link-Snipped-#. His actual name is Rahul Anand. He has just completed his course in Computer Science and Engineering and got placed in TCS. He is one of our productive CEans who has contributed about 130+ valuable posts to CE. He is a bit popular through his Web comic “Et on Fire” and he is going to become more popular on CE with the word “Word-Quiz Game”. CrazyEngineers interviewed him to help our CEans to know more about him. We are happy to present his words here…

CE : Hello Rahul, you are a Crazy Computer Science engineer and an Eternal thinker, tell us more about yourself.
ET : Hello folks! I am Rahul Anand and I've just completed my engineering course. I am a lover of art, whether it is in nature or inside a computer. Thus I love cats and I like designing and programming . I always try to learn new things, which can be anything from cooking spicy foods to speaking the French language. I believe creation is equally important as learning and I don't mind to work hard on interesting ideas, but only at my own pace (which is usually slow, because I'm a perfectionist!). In free times I read novels, mostly fiction and non-best-sellers 😛. I also enjoy bicycling alone and free on wide open roads. I do so mostly when I've been working on something continuously and need some fresh view of things.

CE : How did you get introduced to CrazyEngineers (CE)?
ET : CEan Nion was the first person to introduce me to CE, at a time when we were blogger buddies.

CE : Why did you take up this particular engineering trade? What do you like the most about it?
ET : The answer is a most common one - for the love of computers. The fact is that I met the computer only by the end of my Plus Two, a few months before joining engineering. But I was already curious about computers, from the theory we had to learn. When I got hands on my own computer, I remember being totally clueless about how to change my wallpaper! Anyways, we had a great chemistry and very soon I started learning and making stuff with it. What I like about my trade is how we think up various logic and comfortably communicate it with the machine. I like trying to optimize my programs. It's like, when there is a better understanding (between you and computer), a few words will convey everything that you have to say.

CE : What is the biggest achievement in your life so far?
ET : I consider the ideas which I have managed to (finally!) materialize as my achievements. Also the moments when I find other people smile because of me.

CE : Who are your idols or inspirations? And Why?
ET : We cannot say when anyone might inspire you. It can be a small thing they did only once. It can be a few hours with them. That's the way people inspire me. Besides that, I am a person who gets completely carried away in a passage from a book or a scene from a really good movie. These help me discover the ideas within which I might've failed to notice until then.

CE : Tell us about your scribbling #-Link-Snipped-#.
ET : xScribble is our mini project at college (we developed upon it for our major project as well). When it was time for mini project I wanted to make some interesting application which will be *actually* used by people. For the same reason, we decided not to make something too technical (in the front end).
When I put forward the idea of graphical chat (drawing simultaneously on a canvas over the network), all the group members were happy about it. So we decided to implement graphical chat functionality in Google talk, because it is popularly used by everyone. The only problem was that the exams and classes were too badly timed that we got little time for project work (one month for mini and a single week for major project!). So the user interface couldn't be spiced up beyond the basic functions. Anyhow, I'm happy that a bunch of people did download it and use it . The basic concept in xScribble is to implement graphical chat over any text chat protocol. For example, if text chat gets implemented in CE (and I hope it does) xScribble can be simply integrated with it.

CE : Your WebComic - #-Link-Snipped-# is really an et on fire. What made you to start that blog?
ET : Comics bring together two of my favorite interests - drawing and writing. I originally started et On Fire to create and share art work like e-cards. The character et was created during some of my boring lectures and already published in my personal blog at that time. The first comic I posted was #-Link-Snipped-#, using this character. Back then I didn't even know things called webcomics existed. I simply had this idea and posted it, that is all. But when people encouraged to create more, I got interested. A few comics later, I came across some actual webcomics and I thought "Hey I have many similar ideas. Why don't I make comics out of them?". And thus the regular webcomic came into being.
The comic had a varying style of art each time as I kept experimenting, but nowadays it has narrowed down to a general tone. It also helps me to have a constant exercise in designing. The drawing has indeed improved, from #-Link-Snipped-# to the comic posted at the end of this interview. I usually sketch down ideas somewhere and create comics out of them later on. But there has been single panel comics like #-Link-Snipped-# for which it took only 30 minutes between the spark of idea and it's creation and publishing. I don't do much single panel comics these days, but I'd like to. There is a certain simplicity and abstraction in them that captures you if done nicely. et On Fire even has some #-Link-Snipped-#.

CE : Played your games #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#, Very Nice Ones and thanks to that Angel for giving us easy clues. Let us know how you implemented the games?
ET : Games bring together another two of my interests - drawing and programming. Flash was one of the first software which I tried when I got the computer. Once I made aSimple Game | Games and posted it on a flash forum. To my surprise, they published it in the front page and the members asked me to make a game out of it. Thus I made A Very Simple Game. It soon got into the editor's picks following which other flash game sites approached me to publish the game. Obviously all this came as a big surprise to me. I didn't do any heavy coding at that time; the game was liked for its graphics. Although I was encouraged to make more games, college had started by then and I was overwhelmed by the hectic life. I had the idea for AVSG2 since then. So I waited (or procrastinated 😛) until the end of college and then made the 2nd part of the game. This time I threw in some serious coding plus improved the graphics from the 1st part. A Very Simple Game 2 eventually becomes Not That Simple and even Plain Hard as you move onto the final levels.

CE: You are very good at Designing. Good to know that you have designed some blog templates and smileys. What interests you in designing?
ET : Thank You 😀 . I like to doodle! When I was younger, teachers used to complain about me filling the front page of notebooks with numerous doodles. Since we have more freedom in college, all my notebooks are pretty comical. You can see equations transforming into dragons and the like in every single page. When I explored more blogs and saw that certain blogs have custom templates, the idea of designing our sites in our own imagination thrilled me. It was the time of a semester exam, but I couldn't contain the curiosity. I worked on editing my blog design during during the study intervals. So by the end of that exam, I had created my own blog template and got comfortable with web designing.
About the smileys, thanks to Blogger for not providing default smileys! When I searched for smileys I stumbled upon certain scripts (all basically the same) which implemented Yahoo smileys in our blog. Yahoo smileys wasn't my idea of cuteness so I designed a few emoticons. And then it was made available for everyone. The underlying script had a basic implementation and the inefficiency showed up as I added more smileys to the group. With the latest addition to the smiley set, I completely altered the underlying code. Now the core of the smiley script is a 200 character long regular expression (this parses the entire blog in a single look up). This regex surely is less human readable, but that means a lot of efficiency!

CE : You have designed a #-Link-Snipped-# game for our CEans. Give us some suggestions to win the game or at least for preparation.
ET : 'Word Quiz' is an idea suggested by Miss.K. I do all the interface design and related programming in Flash, and CEan Nion with AKD works on the actual data we use. The game is straightforward. There are words and options for their meaning. Find the correct option, gather points, and find out how good you are with words. Preparation involves improving your vocabulary. But after all, that is the very aim of the Word Quiz as well.

CE: You want to travel to many beautiful places in the world - of which you are also preparing a list. Shall we know the list please?
ET : The list is so much in it's infant stage. I haven't started any serious research on it yet! The love for travel in me was much intensified by the movie (and book) 'Into the Wild'. I wished to spend an isolated time in Alaskan wild like that, but I wonder if we people can survive that long without computers and the Internet: P. Mumbai and France are places I'd like to live in. I can't exactly explain the reason (!). May be I'll hate them after the first day of stay. Anyhow, I really look forward to the time when I do all these travels.

CE: If you were given a chance to take a role in CE, what would you like to have and What would you do for CE?
ET : Can we have a role like CE-Designer? There are activities we can do which sets the engineering spirit overflowing from CE. One is of course CE comics. A good comic is not about taking a raw funny and adding flesh to it, rather it is about highlighting the slight comical occasions which often blend in daily life. And engineering is indeed filled with a lot of them.

CE : What do you like the most about CE and Why?
ET: We have like 100+ or 200+ friends in Facebook. But when we look at what they have to say, it's a rare event that we find someone that we can relate to, that we can work with. But I came into CE, and I was like "Whoa", in the very same sense. There were people running around with that spirit and energy, there were ideas. It's really good when we get a chance to express ourselves freely and feel being liked by the spectators. Or with the new feature, *see* being Liked.

The CE Quickies aka Rapid Fire:

1. How can you say that you are an Eternal thinker?
ET : When teasing me about the childhood days, my mother often quote that I used to spend long times on end simply sitting at the verandah and staring into sky. She would call me a number of times, and would finally enquire my little sister where I was. Then she'd innocently reply "He is thinking". So I always had this understanding that I think 'a bit too much' some times. When I started my blog, and wanted a title which explained myself, obviously the word popped up.

2. Why do you love Cats?
ET: I love almost all animals and birds (except house-lizards :-|). But cats have a certain wild beauty to them built in a number of small details: The way they move around in their highly flexible body movements, their soft gestures (like a tap with their small paws), and the number of cutest notes in their sound ranging from a whispering purr to the musical meow, adding to the whole rhythm. See, I could go totally poetic about them. I'd like to think of cats as one of the marvels and masterpieces in nature's engineering.

3. If you are granted 3 wishes, what would you ask for?
ET :
1) Multitasking skills and the ability to work on things faster than I currently do. Well, I'm not wishing "make me a robot", but I'd like it if I could do work more efficiently, creating more things.
2) Favorable circumstances to have some really adventurous trips around the world.
3) A bunch of the loveliest and most beautiful pet animals and birds!

4. Tell us about your Girl Pen friend.
ET: 😁 I like the question! To the knowledge of all the readers: the word 'Girl Pen friend' was *invented* by me quite accidentally while trying to explain CEan praveena that "I have a pen friend who is a girl". This particular girl (the so called gpf) is from Assam and I call her Nan (actual name is quite lengthy). We've been pen pals since our high school and I consider myself lucky to have one in this age of The Social Network. She also holds the position of the only girl who has ever sent me a rakhi. This was years ago, and later she explained that it was to ensure that we'll stay pen *friends* 😛. We boys eternally bow in front of you people's farsightedness.

5. Got to know that You mostly watch French, Italian, Spanish movies, Do you know all those languages?
ET : I mostly watch English movies 😛. But yes, I squeeze in French then and now. As I have answered above I happen to like French and would love to learn it (and the other two Latin languages). But as of now, I don't even know what is the French word for "kittens"!

6. Your biggest blooper till date is?
ET : I manage to create bloopers very often. I'll quote a random one:
In 7th standard youth festival, I had registered for Mono act and English speech (a time when I was barely confident about my English). I soon decided to skip them both, but I never knew that year's committee was strict about this. So basically I was caught by the senior volunteers, pinned with my number, and pushed to the center of stage. I didn't want to run away, so at the moment I took a random funny bit I read in some magazine and performed it on the stage as Mono act. At the end I said 'Thank you' and everyone unanimously howled at me at the top of their lungs 😛. No sooner did I get down from this stage, than I was again caught and pushed to the English speech stage. The topic was 'Reading' and obviously I had no preparation. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

7. A moment you can never forget.
ET : I always absorb the unique moments in life (whether sad or happy or ecstacic). It is their combined feeling that makes me comfortable in the end. I cannot pick one and disconnect it from the rest.

8.What do you like most about yourself?
ET : It would be my patience - both in work and towards people (mostly 😛 ). I like it because, if not multitasking, then patience will help you reap the good result. (I also happen to like me being really really ridiculously good looking 😛 )

9. What are the things which you don't like to do?
ET : Back-stabbing other people, disrespecting women, telling lies, smoking and drinking, wasting time (The sloppy times I go through occasionally is a different story)

10. 5 years from now, you will …
ET : Possibly a few more steps into the things I ultimately want to find myself doing.

11. If you were the one day admin of CE..
ET : Crash into Area 51 and see what's in there!

12. Name 5 CEans that crossed your mind within 5 seconds.
ET : A bunch of CEans do come in my mind. A different 5 may come in another try. So that is not fair. And it's totally not fair to pick just 5 from a community of more than 1,00,000 .

13. What do you want to say about CE?
ET : I believe and hope that CE will reach out more into the outer world. With a unique platform for inspired engineers, I wish to see some nice creations from CE which even non-engineers will find useful and interesting.

Finally, any Comic for our CEans?

Really you have a Very Good Patience; answered all the questions *in-detail* even Rapid fires too 😀 All the Very Best for your Successful future.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Woa! Awesome Interview. But I'm not able to read the text in the strip 😐

Update: Hilarious! ET Rocks! 👍
  • Reya
    Reya
    @Biggie: She is enlarging the size of the picture.

@Rahul: A.W.E.S.O.M.E

@Sahithi: Great job👍
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    was a pleasant read. You really are quite talented Rahul, all the best for your future 😀
    People may get a lot of ideas but all that matters is how many of them have been successfully implemented. I really appreciate the fact that you actually implement your ideas well 😀 Keep it up 😉

P.S: the comics is too small and unreadable. Could be have a bigger upload please ?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Wow dude, nice comics,.. 😁
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    *dumbfounded* I do not have words!

Waiting for your word game. Great work with graphics and answers 😀

@Sahithi: Great work 😀

@ET: I am not mentioning you because you know for yourself, how your answers are *TRULY AWESOME* 👍
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    nice!!! awesome interview! 😀
    @et: your comics are really good.. just landed in your blog a month ago and it was a wonderful read! 👍 continue the good job! 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am a person who gets completely carried away in a passage from a book or a scene from a really good movie.
    Me too!

CEan-et is an inspiration for others. You make the forum stronger. 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    And ++1 for the Comics! 😀 The expressions are super cool. 😀
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Sada
    Really you have a Very Good Patience; answered all the questions *in-detail* even Rapid fires too 😀 All the Very Best for your Successful future.
    Thanks Sahithi for the wonderful questions (and Praveena for her contribution 😉 )! I felt at ease answering them *in detail 😀
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    The_Big_K
    Woa! Awesome Interview. But I'm not able to read the text in the strip
    Update: Hilarious! ET Rocks!
    Thanks a lot Biggie 😀

Reya
    @Rahul: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
    @Sahithi: Great job
    I guess I've already thanked Sahithi, and You! 😁
    optimystix
    was a pleasant read. You really are quite talented Rahul, all the best for your future 😀
    People may get a lot of ideas but all that matters is how many of them have been successfully implemented. I really appreciate the fact that you actually implement your ideas well Keep it up
    Thank you, it comes as a surprise to myself that I've implemented atleast some ideas despite my laziness 😉
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Praveen-Kumar
    Wow dude, nice comics,.. 😁
    Glad you liked the comic!

Issue
    *dumbfounded* I do not have words!
    Waiting for your word game. Great work with graphics and answers 😀
    I hope we get to publish the Word game soon 😀

CIVILPRINCESS
    nice!!! awesome interview!
    @et: your comics are really good.. just landed in your blog a month ago and it was a wonderful read! continue the good job!
    Thanks CP!

AbraKaDabra
    Me too!
    Nice to know that 😀

AbraKaDabra
    And ++1 for the Comics! The expressions are super cool.
    You seem to like expressions a lot. Even in the comic you posted in CE, much care was given to the expressions 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Superb Interview "Rahul" and "Sada". One of the Best KYCean. 😀
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Wish you all the very best ET 😀

awesome read !!
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Awesome interview et. 😀

You are one of the most creative Ceans we have on our forums.
    And 'et on fire' rocks! 👍

All the best with the future. 😉

@Sahithi: Good questions. You(and the questions) are becoming better with each interview. Keep rocking! 😀
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks a lot Nima. Every KYCEan is a combined effort of Mine and CEan - Cooldudeiet's. And CEan - Reya is a Helping hand 😀
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Thanks harshad bhai, @cooldudeiet, and Nim 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Good to know about you ET. Awesome read! So when will you publish that poem about your cat??😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​Eligibility Criteria: BE / B.Tech / ME / M.Tech / MCA / MSc (Computer Science / Electronics / Mathematics / Physics / Statistics / Information Technology / Information Science) only​...
Any 1 got selected in lnt infotech & waiting 4 joining date......??😐
Dear friends, I have done B.E in mechanical engineering.I wrote NPTI (National Power Training Institute) PGDC entrance exam.Now they announced second round of counselling on 23.08.2011.I am eligible for this...
Hi Techies, I have developed application in Visual basic 2010 in which i am fetching GPS coordinates from mobile phone through bluetooth using com ports , I have option of...
The structure life depend upon concrete strength. . . The admixtures like asphalt and other mixtures increase the concrete strength and initial setting time of concrete. . So admixtures is...