DVD Drive Turned Into Microscope For HIV Testing

We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a microscope to provide you with on spot HIV testing & other analytics? Well, Aman Russom, a senior lecturer at the KTH Royal Institute Of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden has already taken the step and says that his DVD drive can analyse blood and also perform cellular imaging with one micrometer resolution. Russom and his team has turned the regular commercial DVD drive into a laser scanning microscope and calls it 'Lab On DVD'.

slide

This new mod directly points at development of inexpensive & easy to use machine that would be highly beneficial in the developing nations. During the demonstration, Russom and his team coolected cell-type CD4 + from blood and visualised it using DVD reader technology. The Lab On DVD technology itself took almost 3 long decades to materialise - and is based on the advance research done on optical storage mechanisms. The technology expects to bring the cost of flow cytometry units from $30k down to just $200. Portability, of course comes free with it.

We believe that this innovation is quite an interesting one. On one hand we hear the talks of how the optical media is dying and on the other, we see it creating a breakthrough in healthcare field. Check out more coverage on the source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    This, Sir, is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Kudos to you for bringing it to me 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The D.C series wound motor has the following characteristics: 1. It gives high torque and high speed. 2. speed and torque continue to rise as soon as the machine is...
Facebook was being very selective in announcing the gadgets that can run latest facebook home app. However, MoDaCo founder Paul O'Brian has come up with simple steps that describe how...
Here's wishing our old CEan and more importantly, an amazing VoiCE Contributor a very very Happy Birthday! 🎉 Keep being awesome!
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post or not but here we are. I request mods to move this discussion to appropriate...
A new kickstart project initiated by Bill Gray, called 'Velkess Energy Storage' aims to employ new type of flywheel to store energy. The project description says that Gray and his...