Does New food security act affect or distort trade?

Food and Agriculture Organisation(FAO) was concluded in Rome today and India minister of state for food and public distribution said that the new food security act will not affect the trade because India's act of procurement and distribution of foodgrains under the new bill will not be higher than ongoing public distributing system and it would not lead to price distortion.According to the new act india will procure at a minimum support price from farmers and sell at rates to 67% population of India.The minister had said that India has plenty of food source and it has the capacity to trade food to other countries as well as feed people within country untill 2014.Whats your view on this bill?

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    He's making contradictory statement.
    - If current PDS is sufficient, then there should be no hungry people and hence, food bill is unnecessary.
    - This bill won't affect anything only if Govt. doesn't really mean to implement it i.e, it's mere eyewash.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    UPA Govt politicized the administration. They want to get the attention of the voters with that bill, they are not at all concerned about the complications involved in implementation of the bill. Passing the bill is very easy as it did. There are too many considerations and complications which it has to take in to account. I think it has been launched as a pilot project in few districts. We have to see how it is going to be.
  • mayur agarwal
    mayur agarwal
    it will take our economy down!
    because if every one is getting every thing in free or at negligible price then why he will work
    instead of food security bill govt must give jobs to poor and encourage youth in technical fields so that they do some innovations

in this 21th century we are having the same procedures at govt offices which have to be changed and should be computerized
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    It do affects trade. To implement this act, Indian govt need to procure more and more food grains from the farmers. And to make the farmers to produce more and more, deifnetly we need to give some incentives like MSP, power etc. And that will subsequently shows impact on our exports and imports as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just read a report that Twitter is paying about $10 million to an engineer in the silicon valley to make him(or her) stay with the company. The paycheck he's being...
Expect rise in the cyber security jobs in India in coming days. Big IT companies in India - viz. TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant and others may soon begin looking for...
LG G2 has a guest mode - which when enabled lets you define what apps and sections of the phone will be accessible to the user. I think this is...
There is an English saying:'I would give my eyeteeth...' This seems to be becoming literally true with a tooth based implant that restores sight. https://www.qmed.com/news/blind-regain-sight-tooth-based-eye-implant?cid=nl.qmed01
Apple's expected to launch a cheaper iMac next year. Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities has revealed Apple's 2014 product roadmap. Kuo has been very accurate about announcing Apple's product launches...