Does Computer Processor Speed Matter For Regular Users?

We regularly get queries from students looking to buy laptops for the best configuration. The major focus is on going for a faster processor, even at a higher price. For the given budget, I'd go for more storage than processing speeds. From my experience, most of the students use laptops only to store music and watch videos and access Social Networking Sites - and any average processor is capable of handing these activities.

Do you think computer processor speed matters? Should you really shell out more money on i5 processor than settling with i3?

Replies

• ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    I think at this present situation i3 is more than enough. People should think of getting i7 when a stage comes where every physical thing done by human is done by a computer.

For example : To brush your teeth. Create a profile of yours. If you press a button computer should brush teeth virtually and it should happen to us in real.To do a physical thing virtually it requires speed.

I guess i am not clear enough , but i hope one can understand what i wanted to say.

For watching movies , listening music and for browsing net , i guess Pentium 4 is more than enough.
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    The emphasis should also be on using faster OSes. For example on any given machine Ubuntu will give faster performance than Windows 7/ Windows Vista.
    On older PCs Lubuntu is better than Windows XP. I myself am using Lightweight Ubuntu on a 7 year old HP pavilion desktop PC.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    For official people who going to work for next 2 years just on office application , music and internet surf they should go for i3 only not more than that.

But student should consider i5 because as student keep going with computer he must want to work on latest software and try new games.
    Every guy started using computer from VLC media player and internet surfing but after 1 year it is 90% chance that he going try latest NFS,Call of duty and photoshop like stuffs.

I too bought a machine around 2.5 years ago with latest core2duo+512mb graphics but now it is outdated. latest games and photoshop CS5 doen't run smoothly.

I observed that 2.5 years ago a decent machine(with core2duo) costs around INR: 40+k and still a good configuration(i5) machine costs 40+k .😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We're happy to introduce a brand new section on CE Forums dedicated to power plants. This section will host all the discussions right from constructions of power stations to...
We've a great new section for our Civil & Structural engineers to discuss skyscrapers & supertall structures. Discuss the mega-structures that fascinate us and proudly stand as man's biggest creations....
Our Civil & Structural Engineering forum was incomplete without a place to discuss the infrastructure and transportation projects. We're happy to announce this brand new section which aims to fill...
Hi friends i need all the information about top 30 software companies in India and also their recruitment process,basically now am in 4th B.Tech CSE with 78 % aggregate including...
I found out about this bridge from a G+ post. ​ Wikipedia has very little information: Langkawi Sky Bridge is a 125 metres (410 ft) curved pedestrian cable-stayed bridge in...