Does Alum make water alkaline or acidic - and what are its health benefits?

I've recently read that slightly alkaline water has numerous health benefits over slightly acidic water that we typically drink. With that, I began finding if stirring a piece of alum in water makes it acidic or alkaline. 

My confusions are quite basic - 

First - what do we really use at home -: Al2(SO4)OR the generic: XAl(SO4)2·12H2O ?  - Where X = Potassium, Sodium or Ammonium. 

Second - Does it really alter the pH of water-solution? 

Third - Are there any health benefits of dissolving Alum in water apart from purification? 

Would really appreciate if someone could throw light on this. Would appreciate your responses.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The chemical commonly called alum is potassium aluminium sulphate. It has been used in water purification since the time of Romans. It is perfectly safe to use. It’s main purpose is to coagulate and precipitate fine particulate contaminants in raw water. After this most of it is removed by settling and filtration. If you are using municipal water, it already has alum.

Alkaline water for health and longevity is a myth promoted by the manufacturers of equipment for making such water. Most antacid pills are alkaline.

The acidity of normal water is negligible and has no effect on health.

Human saliva is slightly alkaline, which can control such acidity.

#-Link-Snipped-#

When I was a kid I used to grow large single crystals of common chemicals like cooking salt, Sodium Nitrate, and the top of the lot- Alum. With a bit of potassium permanganate added I grew lovely octahedral pink crystals about an inch and a half size. More than sixty five years back. You brought back some happy memories.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys ,I did eng in electronics and worked with capgemini as a software developer. I want to persue b Ed just wanna know any of my CE friend took...
Hi, last night I uninstalled whatsapp for storage purposes. Today I have installed again but I notice that on one of the conversations I have on there has all of...
Hey hii its aakriti this side. I am an Mtech  CSE student and stepping in mg dessertion work. I have to select a quality research thesis project topic for my...
I am a third year student and in our college according to the new rule we have to select our project domain and project abstract by this year and do...
what is cloud? why we need cloud computing. what is scope of cloud computing and how can impliment in cloud computing. How can i make future in cloud computing.which field...