Dire Need Of Quality Technical Discussions

CEans,

I'm sure all of us will agree that we need to improve the number of quality discussions on CE Forums. Creating more quality discussions is the ONLY way we can attract more talented engineers to CE and make the place more useful for all members. It's a responsibility of all CEans and not just few.

I specifically want to point out that CEans should focus more on starting new technical discussions than posting in chit-chat section. If you want, we may bring back the CE Conference (shoutbox) for casual discussions.

Please post your questions, doubts, ideas in this discussion thread.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I sent you a visitors message regarding Discussion of week/month. Here is the copy of my message for every one. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I do not know about experts but how about a concept called "Discussion of Week/Month" ?
    Each section can have such a thing. The important thing is that you/Mods should start this thread so that maximum people are attracted. You can also have polls as to which discussion is leading in terms or quality posts.
    Currently we have a huge number of computer/ tronix people. The discussions can go well at least in these 2 sections. What say?
    Then the best person in that discussion you can award a title or something. Cool isn't it?
    What is your take on this people? Do you have other ideas? Besides, do read the reply of XheavenlyX in his KYCEan. He has given a very good suggestion which is the best I think than any other idea till now. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That is an excellent suggestion. We had thought of this long time ago but it seems that it would be a nice idea to actually implement it. I'm noting all the action items and will work out how to recognize the best thread starter.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    What about weekly coding competitions, coding questions will be of moderate difficulty, the point is to develop short & optimized code.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Change is to come from with in. ALready existing members need to be concious that CE is a technical forum , and we make friends only to discuss techicnal topics. Indulging in little gossip is O.K as long as it is equally balanced with technical posts.

I agree 100% with Varun's decisison regarding making chapters alongside, those who feel they have techincal expertise in specific stream - say embedded / mechatronics etc can take charge to start up discussions in respective streams , intial response might be slow- in fact no response might be recieved at all, but that is still OK, more original discussions, more visitors who are looking for solutions shall be pulled towards CE thus forming a community rather than a single person struggling.

When someone asks a question, please dont copy paste articles. That would not help anyone - even youa syou wont learn anythgin from discussion, instead read thru it if you need to and then answer the question- thus CEans wil end up learrning more and the discussion intiator will get a resposne appropriate to his query.

When people who are already expert in related feilds ( I am not naming - but as example - Pradeep/ Varun/Sookie) intiate any discussion - make sure all the people who are conversant with what they are discussing participate. For example JAVA . evry CS engineer can participate . I am already follwing it by myself. When someone asks anythgin related to networking _ I jump in. It makes me read the disucssion, understand the issue and if needed refer to soruces and answer. thus I learn and the question intiator learns as well. Please dont ignore discussions where you can contribute even a single meaning full sentence. If you cant contrubute even a singel sentence, please dont dilute the thread by writing -' awesome' and whatnot.

This will ensure good discussions are alive and slowly people will be attracted towards participating in them.

PS: Letsd all strive to keep the crap low. Every post in chit caht section has to have areasoning if it's presence can make any difference to the forum if not- keep the topic to yourself. Dont spam anywhere. You dont ahve to imcrease your rank, but make your worth while you are here
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Couldn't stop myself from liking Durga's post above.

I also support xheavenlyx's post in his KYCEan about starting city-based chapters. The idea was discussed previously too, but no constructive actions were taken. Do we have any volunteers for this right now?

We should also give a boost to group study threads such as these: #-Link-Snipped-# (concept by godfather)

I also got suggestion regarding giving CE-Titles based on no. of threads started instead of no. of posts. We will have to look if that can be implemented.

Any more suggestions and initiatives are welcomed!
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    Since we have a number of experts here on CE,So i think they should start posting some questions on CE which they know the answer.
    So that others can just give a try and keep learning from them.
    I strongly agree that sometimes crappy discussions happen in chit chat section and CE is really not the right place for it.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    OK I will again remind about a few things,
    1.Engineering comics:

In the comic strip, we will pose a technical question. Then we will ask them if the opinion of that particular character about certain aspect was right or wrong. We will ask people to share their opinions. Presently we have comics for just fun purposes.

2. Engineering games:

It would pose some good technical challenges to people. This would not exactly help in discussions, but more technically oriented people will come to CE for the questions posed in these games.

P.S: I will come up with more suggestions. If you have any doubts regarding my suggestions, ask me. I will elaborate further.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Another suggestion is that take out the "Like" facility from chit chat section. I am unable to understand why people are not liking technical posts.

Just giving you an example- People are liking only non sense comments (with a few exceptions).No one likes technical posts.

The use of "like" feature should be to show appreciation in technical discussions. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hey ishu i think your wrong in chat we can like any thing but in technical post we like just which is helpful and easy to understand so in my view in technical post we can get less likes
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well I simply think that those who are interested in starting TECHNICAL debate should be encouraged by likes and not those who simply want to pass time in chit chat section.

The decision rests with admin. I am not against anyone.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    presently I would suggest every technical person to encourage themselves. Be self motivated, nothing more. All the best to every one. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Oh Jesus, I have already started 15 just a 36 more for a magical figure of 51. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    Couldn't stop myself from liking Durga's post above.

I also support xheavenlyx's post in his KYCEan about starting city-based chapters. The idea was discussed previously too, but no constructive actions were taken. Do we have any volunteers for this right now?

We should also give a boost to group study threads such as these: #-Link-Snipped-# (concept by godfather)

I also got suggestion regarding giving CE-Titles based on no. of threads started instead of no. of posts. We will have to look if that can be implemented.

Any more suggestions and initiatives are welcomed!
    I am agree with you AKD. but there was not good response on the thread i have started that's why that thread is now inactive. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @Admin: It is me again ๐Ÿ˜

I have got a crazy concept.
    We will need to persuade people to post topics they are revising.

We will ask people to write a short note about the topic they are revising. As mostly, there are students, it would work to a great extent.

P.S: I am learning Friction. Will post a good write up after revising it thoroughly. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Agree with durga, ishan, godfather!
    It going to happen soon for sure! Hope we can see a change ๐Ÿ˜€

PS : All CSE people, Head over to CS Section! Lets improve the Quality in our Quantity ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HINT : related to food
Hey folks I got two question that's been bugging me for some time now. First one is why these Deemed Universities and State Private Universities bragged that they dont need...
The history of E3began with its creation in 1995 and has continued through the latest expo in 2011. The conference was known as the Electronic Entertainment Expo from 1995 to...
Dedicating this thread to choosing a good quality digicam. Budget : Rs 10,000 to 15,000/- The brands available to choose from are Sony, Fuji, Canon, Kodak. From what little information...
My personal favourites are: nice cool atmosphere on most days It has a big name. You just need to tell people that you are with Infy and they are drooling...