Difference between voltage and current

I wish to know the basic difference between the terms 'voltage' and 'current' used in electrical engineering. I'd appreciate any responses.

Replies

• just2rock
    just2rock
    nikhilthunderli
    what is difference between voltage and current
    to be very simple for you to understand ...voltage or P.D is water level in tank and current is the flow of water through tap
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Current is flow of electrons ,while voltage is emf caused by potential .hope m correct!!
  • mahul
    mahul
    Here's my explanation,

When two points have different electrostatic potential energies,we have a potential difference( P.D.) which we call voltage.

Now if these two points are connected, due to this difference, nature tries to equalize their potentials, or in other words make the P.D. zero. To do this, charge must flow from higher density to lower density. This charge flow is achieved by charged particles called electrons(other particles are too strongly bound to be able to translate). Obviously this not only depends on the difference between the points but also the path we provide for the flow of charge. The rate of this flow with respect to time is what we call current.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    mahul
    Here's my explanation,

When two points have different electrostatic potential energies,we have a potential difference( P.D.) which we call voltage.

Now if these two points are connected, due to this difference, nature tries to equalize their potentials, or in other words make the P.D. zero. To do this, charge must flow from higher density to lower density. This charge flow is achieved by charged particles called electrons(other particles are too strongly bound to be able to translate). Obviously this not only depends on the difference between the points but also the path we provide for the flow of charge. The rate of this flow with respect to time is what we call current.
    Nice 😀 I have to admit though, If I was walking on the street and some random guy asks me the difference between current and voltage, I would be baffled for a while 😔
  • mahul
    mahul
    Well i really liked this subject back in school ash and some of the old enthusiasm has stayed on....
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well said,man.A true explanation,i must say this has been one of the toughfest question a layman can quaetion an engineer
  • phoneworks
    phoneworks
    Simply put to the lay man's understanding, VOLTAGE is pipe while CURRENT is the flowing water meaning that CURRENT Is the force while VOLTAGE is the force carrier.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI this is GAZI ARAFAT from BANGLADESH . I'm a student of Mechanical Engineering in Islamic University of Technology (iut-oic)
Name: Shiva *Engineering Trade: Mechanical Engineer Location: Bangalore *Occupation: Working *Hobbies & Interests: Internet Browsing, *I joined CrazyEngineers because: I am Crazy Tooo...
haiiii.., plz someone help me in finding a topic 4 seminar on any mechanical. topic??
There were times (about 9 years ago) when I was introduced to email and I opened an email account with every available email service provider. I used hotmail for a...
I hava a china mobile model no: Awang A-308 can install apllication in that mobile,if so please tell me about some applications ...