CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@madhu27 • 26 Aug, 2013 • 2 likes
What is the exact difference between time delay and dead time of any process.
@Don Engineering Training • 07 Oct, 2013 Production slow down - Production downtime
@madhu27 • 08 Oct, 2013 thank you...Can you explain it more...
@Don Engineering Training • 09 Oct, 2013 • 2 likes Process time delay is where the process is still producing, but at a reduced rate.
Process dead time is the process is completely down, no production.
Both a perspectives and definitions may vary slightly for each situation applied.

For example in a manufacturing facility, the entire plant or just one line may go completely down ('dead time') several times a day. But the industrial engineer may report if as 'process delay', because the product made it out the door eventually, just delayed. Companies should set their own specific definition so communication and transparency are improved.

Yet when talking process automation control, the two phrases take on a whole new meaning...
"Dead time is the delay from when a controller output (CO) signal is issued until when the measured process variable (PV) first begins to respond. The presence of dead time, Өp, is never a good thing in a control loop." Ref:https://www.controlguru.com/wp/p51.html

Would be like the PID loop in your car's cruise control. When you start up a hill, the cars instead of maintaining a constant speed via the PID control loop, instead it slows down a couple miles per hour, then guns it to catch up. That would be a 'dead time' in your cruise control's PID loop.

With the PID control scenario, variations in the process time delay are the 'time delay' being referred to.
@madhu27 • 18 Oct, 2013 thank you...👍 cleared what i needed..😀
@Lawal ISAH • 03 Jan, 2019

Thank you, this is cleared. I still want to ask this question; is time delay and delay time the same?

6.1k views

Related Posts

@ISHAN TOPRE · Jan 23, 2011

Boiler mountings are the machine components that are mountedover the body of the boiler itself for the safety of the boiler and forcomplete control of the process of steam generation.Various...
70.2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Apr 17, 2015

With a dedicated fanbase among Indian consumers, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo was one of the most sought after cars in the country. Putting an end to its production, Mitsubishi has announced...
9.6k views

@Dhananjay Harkare · Feb 15, 2015

Bike lovers, rejoice! Polaris Industries has launched The Indian Chief Dark Horse at Chicago Auto Show. The model is completely black and would be available with difference in features compared...
6.3k views

@Yogesh Borkar · Oct 28, 2014

A leading automotive giant in Gurgaon is looking for Mechanical & Electrical Engineers(Freshers) 2015 batch. CTC-3.50 LPA. Interested third year students can mail their resumes to- corporatelynks@gmail.com
12.6k views

@Dipika Chaudhary · Feb 12, 2017

Hey, I'm CSE student in 2nd year. I requires some topics of latest innovative & creative projects even it'll tough no matter , just give me some topics which would...
8.8k views